Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frankincense Oil for CH's/CCH (Read 1823 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Frankincense Oil for CH's/CCH
Mar 2nd, 2016 at 1:33am

by Luke Sumpter

on February 27, 2016

Headaches can be extremely painful, especially in the form of migraines and cluster headaches. These more extreme forms of this debilitating and disturbing condition occur independently of an underlying disease; their roots are found in the chemical activity of the brain, within the nerves and blood vessels of the head, or in the muscles of the head and neck.

Those who find themselves afflicted might be conditioned to bust open the door of the medicine cabinet, pop the top off of a pill jar, and neck enough aspirin to dull the pain of such conditions. However such chemical relief may come with a price. Aspirin doesn’t mitigate pain in isolation; its side effects include heartburn, stomach irritation, anemia, and seizures, among other things.

This seems like a game of roulette that isn’t worth playing — especially when one explores other viable natural alternatives. By far the most effective of these is frankincense essential oil, an age old antiseptic, disinfectant, digestive, and anti-inflammatory agent. Derived from the gum or resin of the Boswellia genus of trees (Boswellia Carteri, Boswellia Sacra, and Boswellia Frereana), this oil has maintained a revered status for centuries.

Completely natural compounds are very often met with stern skepticism. How could anything not tweaked by the hand of man and a multi-billion dollar drug industry have any empirical effect? Thankfully, there is adequate science available to tell us exactly why and how this ancient remedy wields such power over headaches. (It should also be noted that the active ingredient in aspirin, salicin, is completely natural, being sourced from the bark of the white willow tree).

The potent effects of frankincense oil in the treatment of headaches is likely due to a collection of compounds found within this botanical essence known as monoterpenes. A research paper titled “A Review on Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Monoterpenes,” published in the journal Molecules, discusses the anti-inflammatory activity of 32 bioactive monoterpenes found in essential oils (frankincense oil contains a colossal 34 monoterpenes). Many of these have powerful anti-inflammatory properties which, much like conventional painkillers, reduce the swelling of blood vessels that initiate the chin reaction that leads to pain. The authors of the paper state: “The data demonstrate the pharmacological potential of this group of natural chemicals to act as anti-inflammatory drugs.”

More scientific investigation that lends credit to the use of frankincense oil in the treatment of headaches was published in Cephalalgia, a journal published on behalf of the International Headache Society. This study tested oral frankincense on a small sample size of four patients that suffered from cluster headaches and disturbed sleep cycles. The authors of the paper state that: “The results provide Class IV evidence that oral B. serrata [frankincense] reduces the intensity and frequency of headaches in patients with CCH.”

Frankincense oil is easy to administer to ease headache pain. Its recommended that the sufferer place a drop of high quality, pure frankincense oil on a finger or thumb and apply it directly to the roof of the mouth for instant relief. However, if the sufferer maintains the view many share that anything that is healthy tastes bad, they can apply a couple of drops of the oil to the temples and gently massage until the essential oil is  absorbed.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Frankincense Oil for CH's/CCH
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 6:32am

Be it frankincense oil, cypress oil, or sump oil out of my car, I reckon every opinion is welcome here and serves only to make ch.com a better place.

Our little sanctuary, a port in a storm, help for the helpless, a welcome so warm.

If something works for one person then it may work for another, or we can choose otherwise, which is what makes this such a wonderful place.

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 12:25pm

Brian, Hoppy, +1

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 8:22am

I want some of what them boys down under are smokin'!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!