Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen question (Read 3655 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Oxygen question
Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:00am

I've seen various posts about people getting "welder's oxygen" tanks and refills.

Can anyone just walk in off the street and buy a tank and O2?  Is it really a safe grade to inhale, etc?

Looking to work around some insurance/cost issues at the moment.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Re: Oxygen question
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:09am

Yes and yes. I put these pages together many years ago, but the info is still valid.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Marc

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 7:17pm

Joshua, yes to your PM.

While you are reading that page, be sure to check out the links that I embedded in the page:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And some info to clarify any confusion about oxygen fittings:

I went on a quest to find cheap regulators and now the Harbor Freight rig on that page is quite popular around here. 

Remember that the info in my link is narrowly focused on helping to develop some comfort level with welding O2. For more info  be sure to hang in here and read, read again and read some more. Anyone with questions should speak up!

I will say that there is no better feeling than holding a high flow O2 rig on a sufferers face.....and watching their tears as their pain fades away........

Marc

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 9:07pm

What he said.^^^

Potter

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:42am

Thanks guys.  I located a welding supply store (who actually also sell medical use o2) in my area.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:45am

Wow just called them. Seems like a good deal for the medical O2.  I have the script.  They rent tanks only (M tank) -- $200 deposit.  $27/month for the 02, $6 tank fee.

$30 delivery (I don't have a car and a car service would cost the same)

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:07pm

Josh,

Did you get that M sized tank? It will serve you well when you are at home. With around 3500 liters of storage, it's a decent compromise of size and weight.

The welding "T" tank that I chose, is about 9300 liters and costs $22.00 per refill. The yearly rental is up to $75.00 now.

BUT, it weighs 165 lbs. - which is fine for me, but maybe not for some folks.

Marc
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:09pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:29am

I am going to arrange to get it this week, didn't work out on Friday.  I am going to try to get the "super size' tank as well. Smiley 

Your post and link was a life saver, thank you!

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:43pm

Joshua,

This place is full of people with a tremendous depth and breadth of knowledge about CH's that was learned the hard way! The stuff that I posted was pioneered by others and passed on to me - by those who were already here when I joined up in 1999. It was already old news by then!

BUT, please realize that O2 is only one tool of many. It is critical because it can provide enough abortive relief to let you try some preventatives.

There is soooooo much more information here to help all CH sufferers. And, I can tell you from personal experience that having more tools at your disposal is important. With all of the info available here, you really can avoid unnecessary agony.

The investment for you comes in the form of reading. Then reading more, following links, then learning even more.

There are no dumb questions regarding CH's! ASK away! Sure, you may get some arguments about a LOT of subjects, but take them in stride and make YOUR OWN decisions (along with your doctor when needed)

People here understand the pain of CH's. That fact alone can make some folks pretty darned protective of the "remedy" that pulled them up from the darkness. Remember that when you see tempers flare.......

Marc
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:48pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

CHGirlfriend
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 5:55am

Marc, I have reviewed your pages, I guess I'm just afraid to end up with the wrong supplies and have my boyfriend staring at a giant tank of oxygen he can't use because idiot me ordered the wrong regulator or hose, etc...
He is in so much pain and has refused to try O2 until today... I'm going to get on O2 Monday morning but I want to order the regulator and mask tomorrow.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 7:04am

Hello CHGirlfriend,

Welcome to the site . We're sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

I'm not sure if your post is a question or not, but assuming it is you need a regulator which will provide a flow of 15 litres per minute or higher at its max setting.

The mask on sale here (see CH.COM STORE) on the tab above left of this page is to be strongly recommended. It is designed specifically for CH.

Thank you for supporting your CH'er. We cannot understate how supporters keep us going and how important you are to us.

Keep posting.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 1:53pm

Hi and welcome

That is where you'll find out a load of info about oxygen, cylinders, regulators and masks.

Another recommendation for the mask from here, it's vastly better than any I've found elsewhere.

Read up all you can about CH here and try to encourage your BF to visit here too. Any questions, just ask.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 9:19pm

CHGirlfriend,

What is your primary concern or confusion? Which part worries you? If you can be a little more specific, we can offer better guidance.

Marc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!