Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Zealand - no sumatriptan injections available (Read 3455 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
New Zealand - no sumatriptan injections available
Feb 16th, 2016 at 3:48am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As a result of an issue with the supplier, there are no sumatriptan injections available from pharmacists in NZ until at least mid-March at the earliest.

This will impact people with both CH and migraine who use them pretty severely.

I'm just relieved that I've been CH pain free for over 4 years, but they are pretty useful for my migraines, however I've enough to get me through a few months.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: New Zealand - no sumatriptan injections available
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 4:31am

Oh wow. That's bad. That would be my worst nightmare - probably for most others too.  Good job you stockpiled some.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 4:46am

I've read recently the same applies in the US.

Hoppy

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:34am

ouch !
that is not good at all !
I suspect a few may consider a trip over the ditch mike rather than the alternative of being without !
I don't use injections, Yet ( touch wood) but that would be horrific for someone dependant...........

colin

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 11:30am

This has been happening in the US for awhile now.  Summer of 2014, I went through a horrendous cycle where nothing worked except the dreaded trex.  I had to call all the Walgreens pharmacies in the surrounding cities to get my Rx filled.  I got every trex injection all of them had and it still wasn't enough.  Hope you can find another treatment that will work for you.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 1:36am

I'm lucky to have enough sumatriptan injections to last me quite a few months for my current migraine pattern, with more than enough of the tablets to last many more months, so I'm fine. However there will be thousands of people who don't have injections who will be going through the pain we all know from personal experience.

From what I can tell the issue is that the generic form was manufactured in India but the plant hit a "manufacturing issue". The problem isn't just impacting NZ but multiple other countries, so I'm not sure if a trip over the ditch to Oz will help.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 12:11pm

Seeing a similar issue in the US (New York) for Sumatriptan Nasal.  Am able to get injects all day long, but not the spray.

Reverted to Zomig.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 2:08pm

Fast and low price in the U.S. At least ask if available.

==
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

DerikPelser
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 4:34am

Same issue in South Africa.
I used it for the nasal sprat the first time last year. However only had 2 in stock. Was not able and still not able to get it again

IP Logged

DerikPelser
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 4:35am

And the cost of it was very high. Roughly 40 US$

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!