Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stopping Verapamil (Read 1008 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Stopping Verapamil
Dec 8th, 2015 at 11:01am

Hello - I've read the various threads on this, but haven't read anything that seems specific to this, more to stopping after short term.

A few years ago I was in an almost chronic state after years of episodic.  I started 240 mg of Verapamil and have had on and off episodes since, but remain largely PF. 

Since I've been on this 240mg for YEARS without a break, what are anyone's experiences of stopping after such a duration.  Did you taper?  Just stop by half for a while and then the other half? 

I have a note out to my doc, but just looking for some personal experience.

Any comments are appreciated! 

Thank you.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Stopping Verapamil
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 1:09am

First off, is there a reason for stopping it? The answer to that might well impact how you stop.

Other than that, I'd certainly taper down from your current dose over time as you've been taking it for so long, probably dropping by half for say 2-3 weeks, then possibly dropping alternate days for a few weeks before stopping.

Typically when changing dose it takes 10-14 days for the dose change to take effect, so don't change any quicker than this.

And watch out for potential changes relating to the dose decreases, which could be CH or something else, like your blood pressure may increase.

Do talk this through with your doctor too.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2015 at 1:09am by Mike NZ »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!