Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen Concentrator (Read 1635 times)
lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Oxygen Concentrator
Nov 30th, 2015 at 1:18pm

The delivery guy just came to deliver more oxygen and says someone from the company will be calling me.  They want to place an oxygen concentrator instead of the tanks.  I told the delivery guy that this was unacceptable since the concentrator cannot deliver 12-15 lpm which is what his prescription says.  Apparently they do not make money off him since the insurance company only pays them $80.00 per month and getting oxygen delivered weekly will end up costing them money.

Has anyone had an oxygen concentrator work for them?  Any ammo you can give me to fight them if they insist?

Lori

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Oxygen Concentrator
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 2:28pm

Hey there,

Have a read of the attached, in particular page 9 which deals with output.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I don't know if any of the four devices is the one that may be intended for you, but speaking as someone who suffers from respiratory conditions as well as CH, I am not aware of any device that has a greater output that the ones in the attached paper. I've also checked with my Respiratory Consultant  in the past who is not aware of such a device either.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 2:28pm

lsarver3808 wrote on Nov 30th, 2015 at 1:18pm:
The delivery guy just came to deliver more oxygen and says someone from the company will be calling me.  They want to place an oxygen concentrator instead of the tanks.  I told the delivery guy that this was unacceptable since the concentrator cannot deliver 12-15 lpm which is what his prescription says.  Apparently they do not make money off him since the insurance company only pays them $80.00 per month and getting oxygen delivered weekly will end up costing them money.

Has anyone had an oxygen concentrator work for them?  Any ammo you can give me to fight them if they insist?

Lori

The simplest way would be to contact another med gas provider.....the guys you are dealing with don't have a clue.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 3:21pm

Hey Lori,

Another home oxygen provider may be the logical fall-back option.  However, you can easily counter any attempt by your present home oxygen provider to take you off compressed gaseous oxygen (GOX) and stick you with an oxygen concentrator.

Ask the person calling for his or her name and if he or she is a physician...  Make the caller answer both of these questions...  That usually slows down the spin selling pitch...

Next you tell the caller the oxygen therapy was prescribed as an abortive for cluster headache and NOT FOR COPD!

Then, before the caller can say anything else, tell the person calling, that "by changing your delivery of compressed oxygen cylinders to an oxygen concentrator, you are changing the prescription without the attending physician's approval..." 

Then say, "THAT IS AGAINST THE LAW" and you'll be happy to call the State Medical and Pharmacy boards to have their license to provide home medical oxygen revoked.

That usually leaves the caller sputtering...

Take care...  You've got the hammer in this case.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 12:58am

I've seen a few people on the forums here report success with an oxygen concentrator, but you could probably count them on the fingers of one hand. In contrast I've seen many report failures to abort CHs with one but success when they change over to using oxygen cylinders.

I'd follow Batch's suggestion.

IP Logged

lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 5:35am

So far no call from the oxygen supplier.  I essentially told the guy who delivered it that it would not work and that the dr's prescription did not call for a concentrator.  Perhaps I headed it off.  See what today brings.

Lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!