Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did Naproxen interfere with D3 Reg? (Read 874 times)
jackieg
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|scotch plains|USA||0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Did Naproxen interfere with D3 Reg?
Nov 29th, 2015 at 3:56pm

I have been having success with the D3 regimen this cycle. I have shadows but no breakthrough monster hits. I am sleeping great. I have had the usual neck discomfort and lingering overall headache but quite manageable. I wanted try to rid myself of the neck/head discomfort, so I took 2 Naproxen I had left over from my gum surgery in August. About an hour after I took them, the shadows got stronger and  I thought I was going to have an attack.  It did subside and I went to sleep for 6 hours.  This morning I experienced a K5-6 for about 1 1/2 hours.  Got through it and am back to the lingering head/neck ache. I just took my loading dose  and the other supplements. Is it possible that the Naproxen, which is an NSAID, affected the D3 Regimen? It was the worst 15 hour spell I have had this cycle.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Did Naproxen interfere with D3 Reg?
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 6:09pm

Hey Jackie,

Thanks for the update...  The anti-inflammatory regimen should start working to prevent your CH within the first week to 10 days.  As you're two weeks into this regimen and are still not completely pain free, I suspect you may have another comorbid condition that's keeping this regimen from preventing your CH.

The most common cause is an allergic reaction.  Allergic reactions can be sub-clinical, i.e., no obvious or outward indications... but it can still be there.  Fortunately, a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) taken with the anti-inflammatory regimen should have you pain free within 24 hours.  A 25 mg tablet every 12 hours should work just fine.  Talk with your PCP about this if you still have questions.

As first-generation antihistamines pass through the blood brain barrier to block histamine receptors on neurons within the brain, they help prevent the flood of histamines caused by the allergic reaction from triggering the release of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) that results in CH.  It's a confusing chain reaction, but breaking the chain with Benadryl really works.

If the Benadryl hasn't provided relief within 72 hours, you may have a low grade infection that's triggering your immune system...  When that happens, you immune system sucks up available vitamin D3 leaving too little to prevent your CH.  If that's the case, see your PCP for a checkup and explain the situation.

Your next course of action after another two weeks should be to see your PCP for the lab test of your 25(OH)D serum concentration.  The normal reference range for the 25(OH)D serum concentration is 30 to 100 ng/mL.  As you've been taking the vitamin D3 loading dose, your 25(OH)D should be close to 80 ng/mL by then.

If the beast is still jumping ugly by then and your 25(OH)D is up around 80 ng/mL, not to worry...  there are other natural anti-inflammatory agents we can try.

Regarding Naproxen... I'm not a fan of it or the rest of the NSAIDs for that matter as they cause GI tract bleeds and other problems that make the risk-reward ratio a non-starter when you add it all up...  Vitamin D3 works far more effectively to help stop pain and with none of the adverse side effects.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!