Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen--sources (Read 2077 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Oxygen--sources
Nov 15th, 2015 at 4:44pm

A long time ago we used to see suggetions about getting oxygen from a welder's supply outfit.

My understanding was that there was no question of quality.

What is the thinking now?

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Oxygen--sources
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:21pm

Hey Bob,

Still no problem...  Welder's and medical O2 come from the same distillation systems used by industrial and medical gas suppliers...  Hence, same purity.

The only real difference comes during the cylinder fill process where medical oxygen requires a "cylinder purge" by some medical gas suppliers before final fill. 

I've had a complete oxyacetylene system in my garage for years...  I do braze on occasion... I've also refilled my Aluminum M60 oxygen cylinder from it frequently before I developed the anti-inflammatory regimen and started taking it in October or 2010...  I only use it for demo purposes now...

At 50 cents a day ~ $15/month for the anti-inflammatory regimen nutrients...  this regimen is a lot less expensive than the $100/month I was paying for the three welder's O2 cylinder refills at $33/refill.

I hope that makes cents...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 9:16pm

Bob,

I spent considerable time and effort researching this question.

Yes, with the exception of a very specialized grade of "scientific use" oxygen - medical, welding and aviation oxygen tanks get filled from the same source, with the same hose.

Standard practice (the law in many areas) dictates that before filling:
- Medical/aviation tanks: Pull a deep enough vacuum to remove the contents and flash any remaining moisture to vapor for removal.

- Welding tanks: Minimum procedure is to open the valve for a "sniff test" to detect any acetylene contamination due a faulty check valve system from the previous user. Most will blow off any remaining contents before filling with new O2. Many will flush the tank with new O2 via the bleed port.

This is first hand information from me standing there watching the process while talking to the technicians at the three largest manufacturers/suppliers.

Is there "any" potential for a problem? Yes, of course because humans are involved in the process. Same as with "medical" oxygen tanks. I value my life dearly, and I decided that the risk is far less than most other potential catastrophic events in our daily lives.

Marc

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2015 at 9:19pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:23pm

Thought someone would find this interesting. Past cycles my med supply place that my ins. used always RX'd M tanks. This time around we have different ins. and a different respiratory supply place. They brought me Q tanks for my O2 this cycle, instead of the standard M.

Regards,
Smileymel
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 3:23pm by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:39pm

The old Green M-size oxygen cyliner, 125 Cu Ft held roughly 3000 CuFt of oxygen...  The 80 Cu Ft Q-size oxygen cylinder holds ~ roughly 1920 Cu Ft of oxygen...
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:39pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 9:31pm

Batch wrote on Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:39pm:
The old Green M-size oxygen cyliner, 125 Cu Ft held roughly 3000 CuFt of oxygen...  The 80 Cu Ft Q-size oxygen cylinder holds ~ roughly 1920 Cu Ft of oxygen...

I'm sorry, I meant M60, not M. My bad.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 1:13am

Hey Mel,

I bought an M60 years ago to use as my "roadie."  I keep it filled from a welder's O2 M-size cylinder in the garage.  It doesn't get much use except for demo's...  The M60 is perfect for a little lady like you as they're light enough to lug anywhere.

Howz the vitamin D3 working for you?

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!