Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will Emergency Room prescribe oxygen? (Read 1172 times)
lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Will Emergency Room prescribe oxygen?
Nov 15th, 2015 at 9:25am

After 2.5 years remission,  my husbands beast is back. Of course, it is the weekend and getting him a dr appointment to get oxygen will not be able to happen.  We are in the midst of an insurance change so I am not sure the new dr will even prescribe it.  I have printed out literature so I can convince him.  But my question is will the dr in the ER prescribe oxygen so we can get it sooner rather than later?  Any one have any experience with this.  Not looking for drugs to treat it. Just oxygen!

Lori

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Re: Will Emergency Room prescribe oxygen?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 12:52pm

It might help to know where you are in the world.

I initially had trouble getting an O2 prescription at all. Once I did, most of our local suppliers wanted me to sign a contract to deliver O2 every month whether I used it or not.  Since I am episodic, I decided that's a total waste.

One of our local medical O2 suppliers agreed to sell me a tank for US$100, and they charge US$20 for a refill, so I went that route.  They also had the regulator and mask I needed, but they wanted US$250 for the pair.  I bought a regulator on Ebay for about US$25 (free shipping in the US) and I bought the clusterheadaches.com mask which was also a bargain.  This was all well below my insurance deductible level.  You can make a mask that will work well until the mass produced one arrives.  This site has instructions if you look.

Welder O2 is another option.  You don't even need a prescription for that.  There are also tons of posts on this site about how to do that.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 9:37pm

Dunno about other countries but here in beautiful Oz you can go to ambulance or fire stations, smile sweetly, and they'll commonly let you chuff a while on the ol' O2.

They also often ask the most interesting questions because they've never come across this before.

Doctors could take lessons from them.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 9:47pm

We are in the United States and our local fire station is volunteer so it is not manned round the clock. Tomorrow morning we will be camped outside the dr office when they open.  Oxygen is a must have.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!