Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fall comes and the D3 stops working (Read 9497 times)
Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Fall comes and the D3 stops working
Nov 6th, 2015 at 2:32pm

Hi guys!

I've been taking the D3 regimen for a while now and even though I still get hit from time to time, it has helped me so so much. But now, October November are here and I'm getting hit everyday even after increasing the D3 dosage. Fall has always been the worst months for me. It's when it all started many years ago and the months when I would get hit more often. I've seen some people talking about alergies and an anti-alergy medicine. I don't have any alergies that I know of but since following Batch recommendations has been the best thing since sliced bread I'm thinking about doing it. Any other tips to survive fall?
Thanks!

Edit: This has been my usual D3 dosage:
- 20.000 IU D3
- 1200mg Fish Oil Omega 3
- 100 mcg K-2
- 5000 IU vitA
- 500 mg Magnesium Citrate
-1 Multivitamin men 50+ tablet
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2015 at 6:28pm by Visperas »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Fall comes and the D3 stops working
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 7:34pm

Hey Visperas,

Sorry to hear the beast is giving you problems...  Increasing vitamin D3 intake with loading doses and still getting hit is a sure indication there's something else going on that interferes with vitamin D3's capacity to prevent CH...

Although not new, the concept of allergic reactions being a causal factor and trigger for cluster headache has generally been dismissed in neurological circles as evidenced in the standards of care recommended treatments of CH.  None of the prevailing standards of care recommended medications include an antihistamine...

There are many causes of allergies including food types, pollens, dust mites, animal dander, chemicals and medications. Fall brings on leaf mold and fungal spores here in the Puget Sound area of Washington state. 

Many of these allergens can also trigger sub-clinical allergic reactions.  In other words, you can be free of obvious symptoms of an allergic reaction and still have one.  Talk with your PCP about a good first-generation antihistamine.  So far there are positive results reported after taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) and Phenargan (promethazine hydrochloride).

If there's no joy after a few days taking a first-generation antihistamine, there are a few other things to try.  A baking soda tonic, Vitamin C, a good probiotic, and Curcumin (Turmeric).  With the exception of the probiotic where you'll need to take it as indicated on the label until the bottle is empty, try each of the remaining options for at least two days before going to the next.  That way you'll know what is working and what isn't.

You make the baking soda tonic with half teaspoon of Arm & Hammer baking soda in 4 ounces of water.  Take it an hour after each meal and again before bed.  The instructions are also on the box.  This tonic helps elevate systemic pH making it more alkaline.  Too low a systemic pH (too much acid) triggers vasodilation and that makes most CH medications less effective.

Taking a 1000 mg tablet of Vitamin C every two hours for a total of 5 to 6 tablets a day should do.  Vitamin C has anti-viral properties and helps build the immune system.

Most of our immune system resides in the gut in what's called the microbiome, friendly colonies of flora and fauna in the GI tract.  Taking a probiotic helps the immune system by maintaining healthy  microbiome.

400 mg/day Curcumin (Turmeric) acts as a natural anti-inflammatory.  Be sure to take it with a large meal...  That much Curcumin is equal to 3 or 4 curry dinners.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 7:25pm

Hi!

I've added some VitC to the regimen and I'm gonna try the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg) first. How much should I take for starters? Thank you again Batch, you're the boss.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2015 at 7:27pm by Visperas »  

IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 8:26pm

So, I've been taking the Benadryl since the 8th increasing the dosage to 50 mg three times a day and so far no response, I'm still getting several hits a day. I'm gonna stay on it for a few more days until i finish the box but it looks like that's not gonna work. Is it worth it to try the Phenargan or if the Benadryl didn't work chances are the Phenargan won't work either?
I'll probably try the baking soda or the turmeric. Any other indications on how to take those beside what you already said? What would happen if I take the Turmeric with an empty stomach or a meager meal? Also, what do you think about verapamil?
Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2015 at 8:45pm by Visperas »  

IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:35pm

So, I'm not taking the Benadryl anymore because I'm still being hit but I don't know what to try next. Since the D3 was working until a month ago, should I try the phenargarn to find if that nulifies whatever is interefering with the D3? What other "easy" treatments could I combine with the D3 to ensure its efficacy? Verapamil?
After being PF for so long, having the Beast in me again is just the worst.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 4:02pm

Sorry if I missed it but are you doing a loading dose, 50,000 IU D3 , once a week, on top of your regular regimen?

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Visperas wrote, Could I combine with the D3 to ensure its efficacy? Verapamil?

Yes, A small daily dosage of Verapamil, say 80mg three times a day is known to help.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 5:37pm

Jeannie, I did my loading doses a while ago when I started the regimen. Right now, my levels should be high enough but the D3 is not working as it was a month ago. I'm planning on doing a blood test soon just in case but I'm pretty sure that my D3 levels are not low.
Hoppy, thanks for that comment. I think I'm gonna try to combine the D3 with verapamil, at least during the fall and winter months when the regimen doesn't seem to work.

IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 7:29pm

Also, what about taking the B-12 again? Is that a good idea?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:34pm

It certainly wouldn't  hurt to give it a try.

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2015 at 10:38pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 6:20am

Visperas,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems...  A lab test of your 25(OH)D is clearly in order as 20,000 IU/day vitamin D3 should have your serum concentration of 25(OH)D well over 100 ng/mL, (250 nmol/L)...

Can you check the label on the Benadryl and confirm the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCL?  There are some Benadryl preparations formulated with different second-generation antihistamines.

Taking the vitamin B 50 for a week or two wouldn't hurt.  The B 50 formulation covers all seven B vitamins so it's a good shotgun approach to treating an unknown B vitamin deficiency.

A lingering low grade infection can also pose a problem...  One of the more common infections like this can be an infected tooth that can go unnoticed for quite a while until it becomes painful.

If you've tried everything I suggested earlier, pick up some CoQ10.  It helps some migraineurs and it's good for the heart.

Take care and please keep us posted.  It's cases like yours that help us understand more about the cluster headache syndrome and what works to prevent it.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:47pm

Hi Batch!

I'm having the blood test soon, I'll share the results here as soon as I have them.
Yes, the Benadryl was Diphenhydramine HCL. Should I maybe try that other anti-alergic that you mentioned?
I think I'll add the B-50 to the regimen again for a while, just to be on the safe side.
It's funny that you mention an infection because for the last week I've been having a stomach ache. The thing is, the D3 stopped working 2 or 3 weeks before this stomach ache so, I'm not sure I can blame that on it.
Right now, besides the D3 itself I'm taking the baking soda. I've taking it for a couple of days and I'm not sure is doing much but I'll keep trying for a while longer. I'm also planning on starting with Verapamil because it seems like it helps a lot of people by, at the very least, reducing the intesity of the migraines.
Thank you again and I'll keep you posted!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 10:47pm

Hey Visperas,

Sorry you're still having problems...  Do you know the nature of your stomach ache?  Pain is a signal our bodies give to alert us of a problem...  Stomach pain is not normal...  Given the anti-inflammatory regimen is not preventing your CH is an indication of something else cooking... it would be prudent to see your PCP for a checkup... tout suite!

Once you've seen your PCP, the next thing to try is some curcumin (Turmeric).  400 mg/day should work... but be sure to take it with a large meal...  That much Turmeric is equal to several Curry dinners...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:37am

Turns out the pain in the stomach is a duodene ulcer. I'm guessing the ulcer was there for a while until I started feeling the pain so I think it's very possible that the ulcer is what's causing the D3 to not work right now.
What troubles me now is: Was the high amount of pills that I take every day for the D3 regimen the cause of the ulcer?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:17am

Visperas wrote,  I'm also planning on starting with Verapamil because it seems like it helps a lot of people by, at the very least, reducing the intesity of the migraines.

Do you suffer from migraine headaches as well as CH's?
I doubt very much the vitamin D regime caused your ulcer.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2015 at 7:52pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:56pm

Vispares,

YIKES!!!  Sorry to hear you've had a duodenal ulcer.  I had duodenal and peptic ulcers at the same time so know how painful they can be...

If you'll recall an earlier post in this thread where I commented that: "Given the anti-inflammatory regimen is not preventing your CH is an indication of something else cooking... it would be prudent to see your PCP for a checkup... tout suite!"   Well...  that something else was/is the duodenal ulcer...

The bacterial infection and resulting inflammation from the duodenal ulcer have taken first priority or first dibs on the vitamin D3 you've been taking leaving too little to prevent your CH.

For starters, there's nothing I'm aware of in the anti-inflammatory regimen that would cause a duodenal ulcer.  Moreover, the anti-inflammatory regimen should work to prevent your CH...  and when it doesn't, there's usually a reason why...  In your case, it's the infection and inflammation associated with the duodenal ulcer that's keeping or kept this regimen from preventing your CH.

A duodenal ulcer is typically caused by an infection with a germ (bacterium) called Helicobacter pylori.  Your doctor should be treating you with, or has already  treated you with a course of antibiotics plus an acid-suppressing medicine.

If I'm correct, the above treatment should take care of the duodenal ulcer in two to four weeks.  As you've likely been taking one or two antibiotics to treat the ulcer infection, these antibiotics have also killed off the friendly colonies of bacterial living in your gut called the microbiome. As most of our immune system lies in and around the gut, you'll need to start taking a good probiotic to replace these friendly colonies of bacteria.

If the antibiotics and acid-suppressing medicine have not helped the duodenal ulcer to heal and ulcer symptoms are still present, there may be another problem...  You may have gallstones in your gallbladder.  If that's the case, you'll need to have your gallbladder and any loose gallstones removed before the duodenal ulcer will heal.

The reason for the above sequence is simple once you understand the purpose of the gallbladder and pancreas with respect to digestion and their plumbing into duodenum.  The gallbladder is about the size of your thumb under normal conditions.  It holds liver bile that's injected into the duodenum to help breakdown fats we've eaten. 

The pancreas secretes pancreatic juices high in alkaline bicarbonate that's needed to neutralize the stomach's gastric acid (hydrochloric acid) with a pH of 2.0 (strongly acidic) before it leaves the duodenum and enters the small intestine where the pH is 6.0, (weakly acidic)...  (The difference in pH means stomach acid is 10,000 times more acidic than than the chime flowing through the small intestine).

Now for the plumbing... The gallbladder duct and pancreatic duct join in a common duct before entering the duodenum.  If gallstones block that common duct, no pancreatic juices high in bicarbonate can enter the duodenum to neutralize the stomach acid... 

It gets worse... the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the duodenum that acts as a valve to control the flow of digested food and gastric acid (called chime) from the stomach to the upper part of the small intestine will try to stay closed until sufficient pancreatic juices have neutralized the acid content of the chime. 

If there's no pancreatic juice or an insufficient amount of pancreatic juice, this sphincter valve stays closed and this causes an acid buildup, inflammation and deterioration of the duodenum lining...  That's when the bacteria takes over and you get a full blown duodenal ulcer.

I had this exact thing happen to me...  It took two trips to the ER over a 3-day period before they finally diagnosed my intense stomach pain as stomach ulcers brought on by gallstones.  My second trip to the ER had me rolling on the floor of the ER in a fetal position begging for morphine the pain was so bad...

They planned laparoscopy surgery...  However, when they inserted the laparoscope, they found my gallbladder had grown bigger than my fist and was full of stones with some over an inch in diameter...  The photo of my gallbladder looked like a clear plastic sandwich bag full of green stones. 

When the surgeon saw this, he pulled the laparoscope and asked for the long knives...  so I have a 8 in zipper scar running down across my belly. My gallbladder was so big, I called it a big turkey gizzard.  The combination of the enlarged gallbladder and gallstones pinched and blocked the common duct into the duodenum, so no pancreatic juice could make it into the duodenum to neutralize the chime... 

A few hours after they surgically removed my gizzard, they stuck an endoscope down my throat and took some photos of my stomach and duodenum...  I had scars from 2 old ulcers and five active ulcers in the stomach and duodenum...  The lining of my duodenum looked like raw hamburger...

I'm not saying all this to scare you, but rather to make you aware of the possibility of gallstones...  A simple ultrasound procedure should be able to detect any gallstones...  Has your doctor done an ultrasound on your gallbladder area?

I'm confident that once your duodenal ulcer has healed, the anti-inflammatory regimen will start working to prevent your CH.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 10:43pm

Hi Batch!

Again, thanks for that amazing explanation. You rock! My doctor didn't perform any ultrasounds only the endoscopy to that found my ulcer. He has indeed given me two antibiotics plus an antiacid and it's working. A couple days after starting with those the pain was significantly reduced. I'm now 4 days in and I still can feel some uncomfortability in the stomach area but it's much better. Hopefully I have no gallstones and I'm recovered after two or three weeks.

During this time I've decided to take Verapamil. I'm taking 40 mg doses three times a day and it's also working nicely. I'm still being hit but far less than I used to. The curious thing is that the Beast seems to "charge up". These past few days have come fewer times but it's been harder to abort with oxygen (more time required). It's like the verapamil makes the Beast charge up slower while also increasing the amount of "charge" it needs to explode and so, it comes less often but harder.
Anyway, the short story is that I'm feeling much better. I'll probably stay on the verapamil until my ulcer is healed and then see if the D3 is working his magic again.
Thanks Batch! I think we should really storm the next Neurology Congress, tie all the neurologists up and force them to listen to you. Tongue

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #17 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:56am

Vispares,

Thanks for the kind words...  Be sure to start a course of probiotics to help recolonize some friendly critters in your GI tract's microbiome.

The inflammation and immune system response to your duodenal ulcer have very likely taken a toll on your vitamin D3 status...  3 to 5 days at a loading dose of 50,000 IU/day should bring your 25(OH)D back up to a therapeutic level sufficient to help prevent your CH.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 2:08pm

I guess I should wait unitl the antibiotic is over before going to the probiotic, right? Should I also wait until the ulcer is healed before doing the loading doses too?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 2:49pm

Vispares,

The collective wisdom on the use of probiotics and antibiotics is take them both at the same time.  This came after reviewing several articles and studies on this topic. The probiotic will not reduce the treatment effect of the antibiotics...

Regarding the vitamin D3 loading dose... you need it most right now as it will help heal the ulcer.

V/R, Batch.

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:04pm

So, I stopped with the antibiotics and the ulcer medicin several days again and it's been quite a while since it hurted. I've been taking the D3 all along and a blood test a few days ago said that my 25 (OH) is over 150. In theory I should be doing fine but I'm not yet. I'm still taking the verapamil and despite that I'm still getting hit when I forget to take it. What do you think?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #21 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 1:38pm

Hola Visperas,

Thanks for the update... I'm sorry you're still having a rough time... 

As your 25(OH)D serum concentration is 150 ng/mL, you need to reduce your vitamin D3 intake, try increasing your magnesium and check your multivitamin to see if it contains iron.  If it doesn't, pick up an iron supplement.

Are you still taking the probiotics?  If you took antibiotics for two weeks you should be taking probiotics for at least four times that long or a minimum of two months or longer...  Eating fresh home made sauerkarut or kimchi should help rebuild the gut microbiome.  Loading up on vitamin C at 1,000 mg every two hours might also help.

Please believe me when I say I don't have all the answers... This regimen was preventing your CH and now it's not...  Clearly something has happened.  We still need to connect a few more dots to figure out why it doesn't work for all CH'ers.  Until we get to that point, when cases like yours come up...  taking a standards of care preventative like a verapamil may be the prudent course of action to buy some PF days and nights.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 8:14pm

Hi Batch!!

I know you don't have all the answers but don't sell yourself short, you're helping a lot of people. I'm not trying to put pressure on you to "save" me but I've found far more relieve with the regimen you've developed than any other option neurologist have given me. That's why I, and I guess plenty of other people, keep "bothering" you with questions and doubts.
Right now, with the regimen + verapamil, I'm over two weeks without having to use the oxygen so I've decided to start reducing the verapamil to see if the regimen is working 100% again.
I'm still taking probiotics, I think i have a couple more weeks until the two months are over.
About the regimen, I noticed that you mention Magnesium and Iron. If I'm reading the Suplement Facts correctly, now I'm taking 250mg of Magnesium Citrate + 50 from the multivitamin but it doesn't seem to contain any iron at all. How much iron should I take daily then?
Again, thanks for your hard work and your time!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 6:59pm

Hey Visperas,

Thanks for the update and good question...
The RDA for iron is 19.3–20.5 mg/day.

You can look for an Iron supplement containing 20 to 25 mg/day iron or modify your diet to include iron rich food types.  See the following link for examples:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I keep mixed nuts and raisins in a jar next to my computer as snacks.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 9:52pm

Hi guys!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing much better now. I'm not taking the verapamil anymore and the D3 is again working on its own. I feel like I might have found the perfect combo: D3 and then add the verapamil during fall, illness or whatever makes the D3 not work properly. We'll have to wait and see though. As always, thanks Batch and everyone else in this forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!