Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisolone help (Read 1922 times)
evolution
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cardiff
Prednisolone help
Oct 30th, 2015 at 3:16pm

Hi all, I wish I could say I was glad to be back but im sure you will all understand that im not.

I have had episodic clusters for 20 years and was diagnosed a few years ago, my cluster period is quite short and normally lasts around 14 days. I have been using sumatriptan and 02 with reasonable results. I have been virtually PF for around a year.

Last week the beast came back but the meds didnt work, neither did the red bull or the headbanging. I made appt with the doctor who prescribed me Prednisolone (60mg per day with a 5ml taper down every 2 days). The next day the beast didnt show his face and hasnt returned since.

Here comes the catch.

The day afterwards all my joints were severely aching and I dont mean a little bit sore, I am 37 and I could barely walk, I have never had any problems like this before and dont feel unwell apart from the pain, I rang Dr to ask if it was a possible side effect from the pred but he said it wasnt likely but drop pred to 30mg and continue with taper and to ring back in a couple of days if it had not improved.

Yesterday I rang back and demanded an appointment because my ankles literally feel broken and hollow, GP arranged for an Xray and bloods. Xray came back with no abnormalities, bloods came back with a few highs and vitamin D deficient but im not a doctor so I have no idea about most of them (I can scan the results in if it helps).

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Prednisolone help
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:13pm

Hey Evolution,

Your lab indicating a vitamin D3 deficiency is all you need to start the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus Omega-3 fish oil and the vitamin D3 cofactors...

You can find the needed information on page one of the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Discuss this regimen with your PCP or neurologist and get started before your pred taper runs out...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:16pm

Was it prednisone or dexamethosone?
The latter is a stronger steroid,and while it did wonders for my clusters,
During the end of the taper I had horrible joint pain and swelling in my knees, wrists and elbows.
Doc said it was common side effect.
Your vitamin d was low you say?
Read up on Batchs' vitamin D regimen.
Has done wonders for many of us.

IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:35pm

Ha
Batch you beat me to it.

IP Logged

evolution
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cardiff
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 2:29pm

Esheel31 wrote on Oct 30th, 2015 at 7:16pm:
Was it prednisone or dexamethosone?

Prednisilone is the one I am on, apparently its the same group as prednisone but its slightly different. I have read stories about the withdrawal phase causing pain in the joints and if that was the case I probably wouldnt be so concerned, however this all started with 2 days of starting the dosage and if anything the pain has got easier as the dosage has dropped.

I have read up a little on the D3 regimen and have started taking the D3 today, hopefully it will make a difference so I never have to consider the pred again.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 3:10pm

Evolution,

I hope you're taking ALL the cofactors as well as the D3. ???????

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

evolution
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cardiff
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 7:38pm

Sorry I should have been clearer, I have started taking the Vitamin D3 prescribed by my GP not whats described in the regimen.

I would like to take on board all the information that has been provided and run it by my GP and go from there, I hope to get an emergency appt on Monday because things aren't really improving.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 10:45pm

Hey Evolution,

Your doc gets a gold star for putting you on vitamin D3 after your lab test for your serum 25(OH)D concentration came back indicating a deficiency...  Too many physicians including neurologists won't schedule this test unless you force them to order it...

The following comes from Vitamin D Wiki at the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Vitamin D Loading - Overview

If a person is, or is suspected to be, very vitamin D deficient a loading dose is typically given
  • Loading = repletion = quick replacement (previously known as Stoss)
  • Loading doses range in size from 100,000 IU to 1,000,000 IU of Vitamin D3.
  • The size of the loading dose is a function of body weight - see below.  (We suggest a 500,000 IU to 600,000 IU loading dose depending on the actual 25(OH)D serum concentration.)
  • Unfortunately some doctors persist in using Vitamin D2 instead of D3, which has been shown to have many problems.
  • Loading may be done as quickly as a single day, to as slowly as 3 months. ( We have two loading schedules, a 2-week schedule and a 4-week schedule...  Both work equally well...)
  • It appears that spreading the loading dose over 4-20 days is a good compromise - not too fast, not too slow.  (In reality, it's not the vitamin D3 dose but rather the 25(OH)D response.
  • Loading is typically oral, but sometimes by injection (I.M,)
  • The loading dose persists in the body for about 3 months

The loading dose should be followed up with continuing maintenance dose  - typically 4,000 to 10,000 IU daily average... (we suggest 10,000 IU/day as a maintenance dose for CH'ers)

Unfortunately many doctors fail to follow-up with the maintenance dosing...  (We do...)

We also specify Omega-3 fish oil and the vitamin D3 cofactors:  Magnesium 400 to 600 mg/day, zinc 10-12 mg/day, boron 1 or 2 mg/day and vitamin A (retinol) 3000 IU/day for men.  The cofactors are needed to properly metabolize vitamin D3 to its hormonal form that prevents CH.

Take care and check your PM inbox...

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015 at 10:48pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!