Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn off cluster headaches (Read 6123 times)
Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Turn off cluster headaches
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 10:50am

MamaCat,

Thanks for all the info. I have not heard of some of the Meds you mention (Frova) for example, but there are others here who are much more knowageable than I and should give you input on the Meds.

If you want, I will PM you with an E-Mail for the National Sales Manager - UK  for Electrocore who manufacture the gammaCore device.  I know him well as we have met several times at international seminars on Migraine and CH. You will need a prescription from a Neurologist and hopefully he will have no problems posting to you.

Let me know if you want to pursue the gammaCore option and I will send you the details.

Pain free days to your Daughter and mind yourself too.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Turn off cluster headaches
Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 2:11pm

Hi MamaCat and welcome

Frova is a migraine medication, one of the triptans, which is used to abort migraines. For CH the triptan used most frequently is sumatriptan (imitrex / imigran) which is used as an injection or nasal spray (the tablets are pretty ineffective).

Whilst O2 is great for aborting CHs, it isn't always practical, so having the injections is great for when people are out and about. This will reduce the fear of a big one coming on as she can always have an effective CH abortive with her that works in a few minutes.

The verapamil dose is fairly low as most people need 360-480mg a day, with some going to 1000mg a day. However if she has low blood pressure then this may limit the dose she can take. She should not change her dose without working with her doctor.

What medications has she tried and in what doses?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!