Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 question (Read 1935 times)
barnbldr
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Morton, Il.
O2 question
Aug 4th, 2015 at 11:13pm

Cycle starting again, and seems like the neuro went back to school since last cycle.  She prescribed a prednisone taper, O2, and had me get an ekg for verapamil.

O2 was delivered that night, but they only brought a nasal cannula, so I ordered the mask from the store and received it last Friday.

When I set it up and tried it out, I noticed the system wasn't keeping up with my breathing.  I would inhale/exhale several times and after a few times, the bag would collapse before I received a full breath.  The flow valve is on 15 lpm, but it doesn't seem like it's getting there.

Anyone have suggestions?

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: O2 question
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 12:14am

Crank the regulator up or use the mouth piece.

Potter

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 7:23am

It's sensational your neuro now seems to know a little more. Only good times ahead.

About your regulator, does it go any further than 15lpm? Many people find they need a higher flow rate, at least to get them going, even if they turn it down later.

At least you're off to a great start.

Good onya.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

CHaStever
CH.com Newbie

I thank GOD I found clusterheadaches.com

City on the Marsh, WI
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 11:11am

You can try a couple different methods that I've found helpful (also have a 15 lpm reg. with clustermask kit & 3 liter bag). Ditch the mask and use the mouthpiece... Try inhaling a little more slowly and COMPLETELY then hold for a few or 10-15 seconds before exhaling COMPLETELY. You just need to work with it and experiment to see what rate & timing work best to allow the bag to fill completely between breaths.

The second method is to use the 'hyperventilation technique' which our good friend Batch describes so well in a couple other threads found elsewhere on this board. (By the way, before I got my O2 Rx I used hyperventilation to try aborting and it did help.)
Check out the "How can I get D3 to work like it did 2 yrs ago?" thread, reply # 7 by Batch under Medications, Treatments, and Therapies, or under Cluster Headache Specific the thread titled "What is the best O2 lpm?", reply #7 by Mark Olson provides a link to the hyperventilation technique described by Batch. (That thread can also be found under 'Meds., Treatments and Therapies' but you'll have to go back to Feb. 2014 and see "O2 breathing technique" reply # 5 by of course, the great Batch... he does such wonderful research and gives great detailed descriptions... We can't thank him enough for all he does. Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a clusterhead.

IP Logged

barnbldr
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Morton, Il.
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 11:49pm

Seems to be working better now, thanks for the suggestions.

I've been trying to breathe a little slower and it helps. 

The first time I had to use the O2 it took about 30 minutes for the attack to taper off (without meds it was 45-60 minutes).  Last night it was 15-20, so it's definitely helping.

The pharmacy was out of the verapamil until tomorrow, so I will have to wait to see how it works. 

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 12:54am

Hi BB...are you really a barn builder...so was my Gramps......

Note that the verapamil will take 1-2 weeks to show effectiveness .... if it gonna work. 480mg/dy (divided doses)seems to be the sweet spot for clusterheads.... tho above and below is known... for some, like me,  1000 is needed.. Point being don't give up if doc scripts less and it "don't work". Also note that immediate release vs extended has shown more success...for most...not all.

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2015 at 1:17am by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!