Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Laurelyn and Potter (Read 20401 times)
Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Laurelyn and Potter
Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:13pm

I don't know why I can't reply to the thread, and I may be creating more of a problem than I'm helping, but I hope not.

Everyone put your anger/self-righteousness aside for a few moments and let's think this through.

Potter's reaction was, as he says, succinct, as are all of his posts. Being an old-timer like Potter, and having seen so very many Chiropractors come on the board and make outrageous claims (and blatant advertisments) he reacted to Lauralynn's comment about being a Chiro and reacted. I fully understand his reaction, and had a very similar one on first reading of the post.

However, on second reading of the post, I looked up Carrick Brain Institute and found out they are board certified Neurologists, not just Chiropractors.  I will be doing more reading about them and their practices, for I see a number of areas I know some people could benefit from probably. CH? I honestly doubt it, but we also pooh-poohed Vit D and shrooms in the beginning, too.  Regular Chiropractic treatments I already know will do nothing for CH from much experience and from others' experience

Laurelyn frankly left me puzzled in a number of areas, and that can only be because she only posted once, and there was not room enough to answer all of those areas in that post. I'm frankly not sure her husband actually has CH or if he has bad HA's caused by another brain malfunction that are similar. NOTE: I did NOT say I don't think he does have CH. I said, "I'm not sure." The post did not go into enough detail to be certain.

The patients refusal to try O2 confuses me, and that refusal causes me to doubt CH. The ONLY things I have refused to try in the last 45 years are things that I KNOW are not in my best interest because of side-effects/allergies, etc. Oxygen has none of those for anyone.

Please let me address Potter and his posts:
I've known Potter for a long time, and I don't have to go back into the archives to know how much help he has been to a number of people over the years. He does, and has done a lot of behind the scenes things for other clusterheads most know nothing about either. OUCH gave him an award a number of years ago for his Oxygen advocacy, and it was well deserved.

Potter has a well deserved reputation for his "succinct" posts, which often are misconstrued as a personal attack on a poster. Unfortunately, all we see here are dots on a phosphor screen that don't convey body language, voice inflection, or any of a number of other non-verbal communications.

Let me suggest next time you take knee-jerk offense at one of his "succinct" posts you bother to post a question asking him "Why?" or "What do you mean by that?" instead of attacking him in return you will actually learn something. If you were responding with one hand typing on a phone, your responses would probably be succinct, too.

I often wish Potter would not be as succinct when he posts for that very reason, but I have the advantage of having known him for long enough to look past it and understand the man. He does not tolerate those he believes to be scamming the CH community or those who are pushing non-effective remedies on newbies who are desperate for help, and I appreciate that fully. I know I could not find a better friend, or another who would do what I know he has done for quite a number of clusterheads who needed help.

Is he always right? Nope. But then, who among us has never posted something after misreading a post that we wish later we could take back?

Laurelyn, I do hope you will post again. There is no greater compendium of CH knowledge than is on this board. Please let us help you and you husband.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Laurelyn and Potter
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:00pm

I can still see no excuse for abusing or swearing at first-time posters.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:59pm

Ditto...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:09pm

I'm still under the impression the post was all about
promoting chiropractors, and I for one know it doesn't
work when it comes down to treating CH's. So, Potter
being Potter, spotted this straight away, and reacted, shooting straight from the hip, which has alerted me
on more than one occasion, when something is not right.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:58pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:07pm

Well, I try to circumvent censorship by posting here.  Sad

I'm flabbergasted at the simple minded people that have come to this board in the last couple years. They don't recognize spam posts advertizing junk science "cures". Instead, they start slamming Potter, one of the few trying to debunk fraudulent hypes.

People, you have a computer in front of your nose! Start to use it. Here a few simple hints:

In this forum you can click on an user name and its profile will pop up. As an example Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and you'll see that our good Laurelyn DC signed off 1 second after posting her spam and newer came back in 25 days. Of course, AussieBrian, it was her only post, because she wanted to post her add and is not interested in any replies.

In her only post our good Doctor talked about "functional neurology", a term that rung an alarm bell in my head. So I put that into Google and already the 2nd hit gave some Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Quote: Functional neurology ... is able to treat a multitude of conditions (e.g. ADHD, Alzheimer's, Asperger's, and Autism, just among those diseases starting with A). (... and of course, under C also Cluster). Decide for yourself if such a cure-all treatment is trustworthy.

Then I wondered if Laurelyn DC is known to Google. She is. In her profile of the first hit at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register you'll learn that she also is adept in Cranial Sacral therapy. There is some interesting reading about this art on my favorite quack busting site Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

So Ricardo, Peter510, thierry, instead of slamming our best watchdog, start scrutinizing those dubious claims or you'll end up with spending not only your money but also your health on quackery.

Smiley      Ueli

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:28am

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:07pm:
I'm flabbergasted at the simple minded people that have come to this board in the last couple years.

Quite obviously I'm one of those simple-minded people, so forgive my naivety in believing that every first-time poster either lives with this nightmare or supports one of our mates.

My simple-mindedness allows me to support every first-time poster unless they prove themselves otherwise.

My obvious lack of brains means I can offer a helping hand, rather than a punch in the face.

I'm a CHead, so forgive my stupidity in trying to help others access the world of information and advice that is ch.com.

Just call me dopey,

Brian who cares.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:06am

Well, I try to circumvent censorship by posting here.  Sad

I'm flabbergasted at the simple minded people that have come to this board in the last couple years. They don't recognize spam posts advertizing junk science "cures". Instead, they start slamming Potter, one of the few trying to debunk fraudulent hypes.

People, you have a computer in front of your nose! Start to use it. Here a few simple hints:

In this forum you can click on an user name and its profile will pop up. As an example Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and you'll see that our good Laurelyn DC signed off 1 second after posting her spam and newer came back in 25 days. Of course, AussieBrian, it was her only post, because she wanted to post her add and is not interested in any replies.

In her only post our good Doctor talked about "functional neurology", a term that rung an alarm bell in my head. So I put that into Google and already the 2nd hit gave some Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Quote: Functional neurology ... is able to treat a multitude of conditions (e.g. ADHD, Alzheimer's, Asperger's, and Autism, just among those diseases starting with A). (... and of course, under C also Cluster). Decide for yourself if such a cure-all treatment is trustworthy.

Then I wondered if Laurelyn DC is known to Google. She is. In her profile of the first hit at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register you'll learn that she also is adept in Cranial Sacral therapy. There is some interesting reading about this art on my favorite quack busting site Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

So Ricardo, Peter510, thierry, instead of slamming our best watchdog, start scrutinizing those dubious claims or you'll end up with spending not only your money but also your health on quackery.

Smiley      Ueli

that was one of the most condescending posts I have ever read !
I to am a simple minded person, with CH
to think, on this forum we have those that ascend to a higher plain !
Oh how great it is to be the decider, judge and jury on those deemed as spam etc.
How many people have complained, that are still members here but have been judged upon their first ever post ? and commented on there treatment when they first arrived ?
I hate spammers or non genuine posters pushing there wares on this sight, its frustrating !
I too laugh at the suttelness of some of potters posts ! some are hilarious.
but don't you come on here spaceman and preach your self appointed power to decide, crucify and command judgement on those that only wish to offer support and help for people in need of it, As I again stress, that has happened to some first time posters because they've been previously feed false information for there condition !
  You walk a fine line
perhaps there's another forum us simpletons can migrate too to help your ego !
I and probably most others do NOT need your so called protection from shonks or spam artists !!
Brian, I commend you on bringing this whole issue to the fore, and I do notice that its the likes of Brian and the others you name that are more than often the ones that give the first hand support for first time posters !
I have used the so called search button here ( amazing for a simpleton), and you spaceman pretty well offer nothing to new comers seeking advice !!  pretty rich !
why the need arrives to even address obvious spam unless the poster repeat posts is beyond me, ignoring the post is the best approach, then, just maybe, another first time ch poster, isn't mistakenly abused by those on a higher plane,
just my view
colin

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:10am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 7:13am

Laurelyn wrote, I am a Chiropractor, I dragged him around to all kinds of body workers, nothing nothing.
Last resort (which should have been first but the place wasn't built yet)
Carrick Brain Institute. A Chiropractic Functional Neurology Center. There is one here in Marietta, GA, and one in Dallas,

Smiley Smiley

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:42pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:31am

forum never changes..............smh

Considering there is no known cause or cure  for CH, I am always intrigued by new ideas.  Was she genuine ?   I don't know.   Never got a chance to find out......
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:36am by JHK07 »  

IP Logged

Devils Keeper
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:17pm

Well said and put Callico! Thumbs up Potter! I get you!

DK

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:13pm

JHK07 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:31am:
forum never changes..............smh

Considering there is no known cause or cure  for CH, I am always intrigued by new ideas.  Was she genuine ?   I don't know.   Never got a chance to find out......   

Ditto...

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:28pm

Thanks, Ueli!

The reason you never heard anything more from Laurelyn was NOT because of Potter's post. She posted her advertisement and closed out her account before Potter in his "succinct" manner replied.

BTW, to those who have been around here less than five or ten years, Ueli is one of the originals on this board, and he HAS done a lot to help newbies as well as others. He doesn't post as much any more, but when he does it is specific and researched. He is one of the best scientific minds on this board, and he is one I listen to when he speaks. Always agree? No, because often his posts are more scientifically versed than I can understand. Sometimes we differ on our take on things, but he is definitely someone you should pay attention to.

Brian, I know you are one of the first to reach out and care for new people. I really appreciate that characteristic. Please don't quit! As it says in "The Rose" "It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot learn to give." Keep that open heart, but also give a little space for the "sheepdogs" who watch out for us like Potter and Ueli. There is a need for both the gentle nurturing and the scathing rebuke.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:49pm

Callico wrote, The reason you never heard anything more from Laurelyn was NOT because of Potter's post. She posted her advertisement and closed out her account before Potter in his "succinct" manner replied.

She's still a member.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:41pm

Jerry......she is still a member. That was her only post though. So far.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 3:47am

An open post to Potter.

Potter,

In my last post on this subject I expressed a view on your manners and maturity.

I hope you accept my apology for the comment on "maturity". Upon reflection I feel I overstepped the mark. I don't know you and therefore I have no right to make such a remark.

I was going to send you a PM but as I made the comment in open forum, I feel I should retract it openly also.

Whether Lauralyn was genuine or not is still not certain and I suspect, at this stage, we'll never know for certain.

However, my beef was with the manner in which you shot her down.

I like nothing more than a good debate on any subject, but comment and opinion has to be supported by reasoned argument. In my view a single word (bad language or otherwise) does not constitute a reasoned argument.

If Lauralyn is, as you suggest, a scammer, it would have become obvious pretty quickly anyway.

So that's my only beef. Judging by the level of support you get here you have been much valued over the years and I don't doubt your intentions. I just feel that your points could be of much greater benefit if they were expressed differently.

I'm sure my view of your posting style is of no importance to you and why should it be.

Anyway, I hope you take this post in the spirit in which it is intended.

Regards,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 4:02am

I reached out to Lauralyn in a PM and she has yet to respond to me.

Mark

IP Logged

dauber
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 4:31am

Did "poo-pooing" on posts about using shrooms , 02  , and D3 run batch and pinksharkmark off of this forum? NO! instead they stuck to their guns and refined their ideas and helped nearly everyone who has been on this message board and in doing so they became legendary here. When lauerlyn said that rotating 360 degrees to the left while staring at lights or dots retrains the two hemispheres of the brain to work together and properly interpret pain signals , I thought she was making outrageous claims about fixing the most complex part of the human anatomy. It doesn't sound cost effective versus D3 , 02 or busting. If there is any merit to her post then it would be logical to assume that a single word response to her post would prevent her from further explanation, unless of course that one word was spot on. A lot of what she said just didn't jive, vague descriptions of solutions to complex matters.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 5:25am

I reckon life is pretty simple.

There are those who think it perfectly acceptable to abuse and swear at first-time posters, then there's people like myself who are here to help others who are dealing with a terrible condition.

Certainly we get the occasional troll and spammer but diagnosing that in one post? If you're really so concerned, touch the 'moderator' button.

So often I've seen people attacked for using the word 'cure' not knowing it's forbidden here. Saying their pain is chronic, meaning terrible, not knowing that within these hallowed halls it can refer only to its medical definition.

Newcomers have been pilloried for saying a personal trick is to pretend in their mind that they're really lying on a beautiful beach in a string bikini (in my mind I go to a special waterfall) while others have suggested such madness as magic mushrooms and vitamin D and been howled down. They've rarely posted here since.

Equally we've seen others on disastrous paths, believing their way to be the only way, and been able to steer them towards less treacherous waters.

As you mention, Callico, I reach out to those who are new to our nightmare, new to ch.com, and I'll continue to do so. If only to protect them from those who feel it their right to abuse and swear at first-time posters.

I'm here to help.

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 6:19am by AussieBrian »  

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:51am

I'm calling the pizza dude!

BTW - O2 was around long before Batch and Flash brought the psychedelics to the MB.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:48am

I was offered 02 by my neuro back in 1988.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:50am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 8:39am

Batch deserves kudos for his work in refining the use of O2 and improving availability.

Thanks Batch! (you old fart)

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:40am

AussieBrian wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:00pm:
I can still see no excuse for abusing or swearing at first-time posters.

Exactly.

Hoppy wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:09pm:
I'm still under the impression the post was all about
promoting chiropractors, and I for one know it doesn't
work when it comes down to treating CH's.

Hoppy

Correction--You know that you have tried chiropractic treatment and that it did not work for you.  Seeing as how we do not know what causes cluster headache, and that all sorts of people react different ways to different treatments, we can not say that chiropractic work is not going to help someone until we have a study that has investigated it. 

If I used that kind of logic I could say that I have tried testosterone and it did not work so it doesn't work for clusters.  I could say that melatonin triggers clusters because mine get triggered by it, but most of us know that it is a viable option for some.

I'm flabbergasted at the simple minded people that have come to this board in the last couple years.      Ueli

I think you are confusing "simple minded people" with "open minded people that are willing to hear someone out before delving into arrogant behavior where they claim they know all the answers"

I too, am very doubtful about larellyn's post and the effectiveness of her treatment.  I am not arrogant enough however to think that the ideas I have are automatically correct.  I know that if I want to find the answers to this bitch of a disease I have to keep an open mind to all possibilities.  The thing I don't get is "why is it so hard for people to understand this?"  When people started talking about clusterbusting, we got the same response.  When people came talking about ketamine, we got the same response, when I talked about peppermint oil and when people talked about cannabis being effective, we got the same response.  People making fun of people, acting like they are idiots or charlatans when they have no idea of the truth of the situation. We can keep up the same behavior over and over again and throw away potential treatments until enough of the "simple minded" people say "you know what, even though all the trash talkers tried to convince us that the answers they have are the only ones worth listening to, I listened to the crazy people and treated my clusters effectively.  Then the rest of the people that have talked trash to the open minded people can get the benefit of new therapies and find other new ideas and new posters to take their shit out on.  I get the feeling some people are more intent on schooling people and feeling superior, acting like arrogant know it all's than actually helping people.

Truthfully, I think that one of the biggest points to be made is that in this post here, there is just about half the people saying "good job at talking to trash to that poster" and the other half are saying "I wish that you had not done that as there is the possibility that is could have been helpful info.  We will never know because it seems like she was chased off the board."  The people that think "good job" take it upon themselves to make decisions for the rest of us.  The people that want more info (and it seems there are plenty) can not get it because of rude, arrogant, demeaning and dismissive behavior. 

Quote:
I and probably most others do NOT need your so called protection from shonks or spam artists !!

Quite true.

They don't recognize spam posts advertizing junk science "cures". Instead, they start slamming Potter, one of the few trying to debunk fraudulent hypes.

Smiley      Ueli

The way to scientifically debunk fraudulent claims is by asking questions and posting info on the proof that these are fraudulent claims.  NOT by talking trash to people with absolutely no proof or explanation of what you are talking about. This is how the scientific method works and simple minded people are hardly ever the people that go with that, quite the opposite.  Simple minded people act like arrogant know it all's.  Simple minded people dismiss ideas without any evidence to back it up. 

-Ricardo

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 3:47pm by Ricardo »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 6:50pm

Ricardo wrote, Correction--You know that you have tried chiropractic treatment and that it did not work for you.  Seeing as how we do not know what causes cluster headache, and that all sorts of people react different ways to different treatments, we can not say that chiropractic work is not going to help someone until we have a study that has investigated it.

From what I've read over the years! The only headache
types that can be helped by a chiropractor are those caused by a neck problem, or a neck injury, I'm yet to     read of one where it helped in CH's. It may help in some
of the headache types that mimic CH's. But, it will not, I
say again, will not fix a CH in a million years. 
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 6:52pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 7:14pm

I get at least some relief from having my neck professionally massaged. It seems to take a lot of pressure off the old cluster bump.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:26pm

Having a neck massage isn't the same as being
manipulated by a chiropractor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!