Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Syringe/Needle Size/Gauge - Advice (Read 2450 times)
HazBazUK
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sheffield, UK
Syringe/Needle Size/Gauge - Advice
Jun 10th, 2015 at 6:43pm

Hi,

I found an informative video on YouTube re splitting imitrex auto-injector pens, and would like to start doing this in order to extend the number of doses I can take in 24 hours, prevent the slapback headaches from a full 4-5mg dose of suma. And also the awful, crappy way the full doses make me feel (including heart attack central!).  Smiley

Could anyone advise on the best (smallest) syringe size and the most appropriate (thinnest) needle gauge to use?

Insulin syringes perhaps? Exact measures/gauges from the packets would be great, thanks.

Currently in cluster and getting 4-5 attacks a day. My verapamil isn't touching the sides, and cannot be near my O2 tank at all times.... So any prompt advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. HB.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Syringe/Needle Size/Gauge - Advice
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 7:41pm

Not sure about the questions relating to splitting doses, but from your comment about verapamil not working for you there are some options. How high a dose are you on? Whilst most people get relief at 3680-480mg a day, some need to go to over 1000mg a day. But only increase your dosage working with your doctor as they have your full medical history which can impact what dose you can take.

There are also other preventives like lithium and topamax which might work better for you.

There is also vitamin D3 which might help you too.

If you've a better preventive effect then this will also help with cutting down sumatriptan usage.

IP Logged

HazBazUK
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sheffield, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 5:44pm

Cheers Mike,

I don't need advice on splitting doses. I need advice on an appropriate syringe/needle to use in order to split the doses.

6mg at once is just too much, and apparently much less is just as effective at aborting headaches. I would like to try.

I am currently taking 480mg. It seems to be effective. Even managed a nap earlier without setting myself off, which was nice.

Lithium has awful side effects. Doesn't agree with me at all. Neuro suggested topamax... But decided against it as have an effective range of pharma already.

The D3 regimen is expensive. And I cannot get certain items in this country it seems. But vit. d does seem to help in large doses.

My preventive dose seems to have been effective. I'm hoping it stays that way.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 8:00pm

HazBazUK wrote on Jun 12th, 2015 at 5:44pm:
The D3 regimen is expensive. And I cannot get certain items in this country it seems. But vit. d does seem to help in large doses.

Many people in the UK and elsewhere order from iherb.com to get D3 a lot cheaper.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2015 at 8:00pm by Mike NZ »  

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 1:33am

Hey Hazbaz,
the D3 regimen has for me been the most effective and cheapest way to beat the beast. I'm just accross the pond from you in expensive Ireland. I get all I need for the regimen from Iherb.com, they have a cheap postage option.
You're definitely right in saying that 5mg sumatriptan is too much. When i was taking it in tablet form -which was too slow acting anyway- 2.5mg was enough.
The vitamin D3 regimen is the best thing that has ever happened to my head, thanks to Batch's hard work, research, dedication and generosity, myself and many others are now painfree  Smiley.
All the best

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 1:43pm

HazBazUK wrote on Jun 12th, 2015 at 5:44pm:
Cheers Mike,

I don't need advice on splitting doses. I need advice on an appropriate syringe/needle to use in order to split the doses.

Here you go sir.....

1)...Insulin Syringe

2)...1/2 cc for 50 units or less

3)...5/16"  length slimline needle

4)...31 gauge needle

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 2:55am

The easiest way is just to use the syringe provided by Imigran is my opinion. Just peal back the sticker and use a small object to push the plunger half way. Another option could be to cut of a piece of the pen itself.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 5:41pm

HI HazBaz
I'm in the UK too. The D3 regime is hideously expensive if you buy it from pharmacies. The doses available are so small you would need to take it by the bottle full, and at 5.99 a bottle I don't think any one could afford it.

I get mine from iherb.com. They do all the large doses that we need at reasonable prices. Even with the shipping costs from California it's still relatively cheap. Fast shipping too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!