Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cluster 02 kit (Read 7312 times)
maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
cluster 02 kit
May 23rd, 2015 at 10:28am

Hi all
I have a question about the cluster 02 kit available from the ch.com store, but a little background first -

I have 4 tanks supplied by the NHS which deliver 15 litres per minute. That's not enough to hyperventilate, but it's the maximum available here in England. The tanks are all sealed so I'm not able to add my own regulator, and I wouldn't want to be caught out trying to tamper with them in case they cut off my entitlement.

The mask is not a full non rebreather as it has holes in one side (also the only option available) so some normal air gets in. It usually takes between 10 and 20 minutes to abort a CH, depending on its severity. I've tried blocking up the holes, but without the ordinary air being able to get in, the bag does not fill up fast enough for deep, fast breathing. I'm not sure of the bags capacity but it's fairly small - probably about 6 or 7 inches long.

I've noticed that the mask available for sale here has a 3 liter bag which seems much bigger. My theory is that with the bigger bag, more 02 available for each breath and I wouldn't be able to "outbreathe" it, as I can now. So with bigger faster breaths, more 02, quicker abort.

Am I thinking along the right lines, or does it not work like that. If I'm right, I'll buy one.
Thanks all
Maz.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: cluster 02 kit
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2015 at 11:36am

Don't overthink it buy it.

Potter

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2015 at 7:07pm

Quote:
Don't overthink it buy it.

Totally agree. I've two of them and they just work great. When I'm in cycle one is at home and one at a work location.

IP Logged

Saladin27
CH.com Newbie

Montreal, Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 10:23pm

I'm in the same situation. My regulator only does 15l/min and I can feel that more would work better. Specially when the attack is well underway. Also, the mask i got is garbage. The kit sold on this site looks amazing. I want to try it too.

While waiting for delivery maybe you can try my method:
- Remove mask from tube. Cut the tube if need be.
- When attack starts, open the valve to get a flow going
- Exhale as deep as you can before starting, this gets rid of more of the normal air in your lungs.
- Pinch your nose, keep it pinched until the attack is over.
- Stick the tube in your mouth, make a seal with your lips, and inhale only as quick as the airflow allows. It feels like your lungs are a baloon being filled by the tank. Also, try to make the first inhale a really big one.
- Unseal your lips to exhale as quick as you can, oxygen is being lost during this time.
- Seal your lips again for the next inhale.
- etc...

If your doing it right it sounds like darth vader.

Practice before an attack. It's second nature to me now. I found this to cut the abort time in half compared to the crappy mask which almost had me giving up on oxygen.

I'm gonna build a "tube to bag to tube" contraption which will improve efficiency by preventing oxygen escape when I exhale. The idea is that I will do the same method above but should be able to block hole of the tube with my thumb when exhaling, this will fill the bag partially allowing a bigger inhale on the next turn.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Patience and fortitude conquer all things

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2015 at 3:21am

Hi Saladin
I've recommended sucking the 02 straight from the tube to other people because I read about it somewhere on this site, but I must admit I've not tried it myself, because my 02 the way I have it does work. It's just when the headache is a severe one it takes about 20 minutes - it works much faster for the milder ones. And as you know, 20 minutes feels like a long time when you are having a really big one.

I've also thought of buying a little plastic joint to fix two tubes into one and running two tanks = 30 litres. I have no idea if it would work - probably blow myself up like a balloon, but I'll try anything once.

Let me know how you get on with your experiment, and how the mask is when you get it.
Maz.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 9:23am

Well, I've just gone to buy a cluster 02 kit and it seems they are not shipping anything out till October, so that puts paid to that !!!   Cry
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2015 at 9:23am by maz »  

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:08pm

im sure you can make a homemade one really easy with a plastic bag.

ive seen instructions somewhere  just cant remember where.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 11:44pm

tangerinearmy wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:08pm:
im sure you can make a homemade one really easy with a plastic bag.

ive seen instructions somewhere  just cant remember where.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Scroll down to the long post from Batch for instructions.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 4:56am

Tangerine,  Thanks for that suggestion.

Mike, Thanks for the link. It was a good read. I have been "partially" doing it right - standing up and inhaling and exhaling as deeply as possible, but as I said in opening post the bag pn my mask doesn't hold enough, and I have to wait a second between breaths for it to fill. The 02 is not pure either as there are holes on one side of the mask and if I block them, then I have to wait even longer for the bag to fill. So now I'm going to have a go at making a "redneck" one.

As I said before the max flow I can get is 15lts and I can't tamper with the tanks. Do you know if it would create a higher flow, thus filling the bag faster, if I ran 2 tanks. I should be able to block up the holes and still breath easy if it works that way . I know you can buy little T joints for the tubing as it's the same tubing that's used for oxygenating fish tanks. It would be easy to fit 2 into one. (does that make sense ??). I know it would use up the 02 much quicker but luckily it very easy for me to get here in the UK. I also have loads of masks to experiment with.

The way things are I can abort a K7 in 15 minutes with 15 lts, but any worse than that and I have to resort to my injections, which take only 6 minutes. It's always tempting to go there first.

I will still buy an 02 kit in october when they become available again, as the whole thing looks much sturdier than the flimsy little things I get.

Thanks every one as always,  for the suggestions.
Maz.

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 6:26am

maz

im in the uk and i to only have the same set up as you,i do have the o2 cluster kit but truthly its not much different than the normal masks .im sure thats cos in can only run at 15 lpm

have you tried busting,its working a treat for me and is actually nice.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 7:19am

Hi tangerine,
No I haven't tried busting. My family and I have always been 100% anti drugs (except medicines of course)although I do smoke,  and while I agree that for medical use it would be far more acceptable I am still a bit loathe to try. I did once mention to my husband about marijuana and he said bluntly he wouldn't have it in the house. He would be more tolerant if a doctor prescribed it, because then it's legal and proper.

To be honest I wouldn't know where to start - where to get it or how to prepare it. I was a teenager in the 60's and all around me people were smoking funny fags and swallowing pills, and I can honestly say I was never once tempted.

Where abouts in the UK are you ? I'm in Havant, about 6 or 7 miles north of Portsmouth.

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 6:12am

maz
im in sunny blackpool Wink

whilst i completely GET where you are coming from i also DONT get it.
its a way of treating cluster headaches very very well and has saved many peoples lifes.
you can get whats required from holland by post believe it or not so thats simple enough.

if your husband has seen you having clusters surely he would allow you to try anything.
you dont take a large quantity to bust so your not having lunch with the monsters or anything.

go on this sites sister site cluster busters and see what you think.

if you have any questions pmme.

i just went on holiday to florida bang in the middle of what should of been a cycle and not a twinge Shocked

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 6:55am

Haven't been to Blackpool since I was a little kid and that's too long ago to remember !!! I have an inlaw from there though although she lives in Weston- Super- Mare now.

Although my husband said he wouldn't have Marijuana in the house he wouldn't actively do anything to stop me if I really insisted, because he does see what I go through with this damned thing in my head. But it would probably rock our boat and cause a few rows. Probably the same with mushrooms or whatever it is. He doesn't have to allow me - I do my own thing, but the trouble is I half way agree with him so I tend not to consider it much. I'm 65 years old in a couple of weeks and after all these years of resisting (and fighting with my kids on occasions) it's ingrained into me and kind of hard to change. That said, I'm not completely closed minded and I don't discount
anything completely so who knows - maybe one day I'll need a last resort. I guess I'm just scared of it. Six years ago before I was diagnosed and had any meds I would have swallowed ANYTHING to take away the pain during a CH, but now I have the right meds, on the whole I feel I'm in control of it. I'm angry more than anything else - tired from badly disturbed nights, and I always get one in the middle of my dinner, or in the bath, or when visitors come round.This last few weeks I haven't even managed to have a cup of tea without having to leave half of it to run upstairs to the 02. And I keep missing Corrie. Bummer.

I have looked at the cluster busters site a few times, but being such a goody goody all my life I don't really understand what they are all talking about. I have considered going on the site and asking a few beginners questions, but haven't done it yet. Do you just take the stuff when you actually have an attack ? I'm having as many as 12 or 13 in 24 hours at the moment so I'd probably end up as high as a kite !!

As you've seen from my posts, the 02 and sumatriptan are working for me but it's just so frequent that it's driving me mad. At the moment I'm just trying to tweek the 02, to see if I can get faster and longer lasting results.

Thanks for the advice, and if I do decide to go down that road I will PM you to find out where to get it and how to take it. Maybe it wouldn't seem so scary if I had someone who knows what they're doing to guide me.
Maz.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 4:25am

Hi Maz,
           from my perspective, marijuana can also be a big trigger !  was for me, so I probably would suggest that that's not the way, although to some apparently it works.
as far as busting goes from what I've read its not a trigger
( could be wrong)  I think the recent thread regarding the "malto" ? stuff ( think that's what its called ) that sounds like a man made equivalent to busting, of which they have been having some great results.
If the Vit D3 regime wasn't working for me, I would be looking into this,  I've always had a bit of an adversity to any recreational drugs as such, ( but as mentioned gave marijuana a good crack, which triggered a hit within 5 minutes) but I never want to go back to being hit like I was 3-4 years back before I found this place.
I'd feel much better swallowing a pill, man made or natural hallucinate, over prepping something myself........
colin

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 6:48am

the basic way to bust and best way is to start a maintenance regime which basically is a preventative treatment to stop cycles even starting.this is usually a dose every month - 3 month depending on individual some may go longer.
you can bust a cycle very effectively by busting but you have to stop using imitrex and some other drugs for 5 days prior which can make it more difficult.
it depends on your busting agent how theyre prepared as you can grow mushies yourself or order the finish article and just eat.
you can as mentioned above use man made products like 5 meo dalt which is having huge success unfortunatly this is now banned in the uk.

its a personal choice  and i totally understand the trepidation as i had it (married with small kids)_but it CAN work wonders.

pain free to all

IP Logged

CHaStever
CH.com Newbie

I thank GOD I found clusterheadaches.com

City on the Marsh, WI
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 12:51pm

maz wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 9:23am:
Well, I've just gone to buy a cluster 02 kit and it seems they are not shipping anything out till October, so that puts paid to that !!!   Cry

You might want to check again or call them... I just ordered last night and received notification this morning that it's shipping today.

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a clusterhead.

IP Logged

CHaStever
CH.com Newbie

I thank GOD I found clusterheadaches.com

City on the Marsh, WI
Reply #16 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 4:33pm

Got my clusterO2 kit yesterday and it works great... Even at 15Lpm. A vast improvement over the cheap non-rebreather I was using. Abort times in 5 mins. +/- as opposed to 5-7,8,9 or 10 +/- mins..  Smiley Smiley SmileySmiley Smiley to whoever came up with that.

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a clusterhead.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #17 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:06pm

Thanks Steve. Seems they are shipping now so just ordered.
Thanks for the heads up.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 6:19am

My mask arrived today.  Haven't used it yet but I'm all set.

I have to say what a brilliant service. From Wichita, via Chicago, Minneapolis and London, to my front door in 6 days (not counting the weekend). Can't ask for better than that.  Cheesy

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 6:32am

maz wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 6:19am:
My mask arrived today.  Haven't used it yet but I'm all set.

I truly hope you never need it. Nothing can be prettier than an O2 kit gathering dust.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 8:06am

I'll drink to that Brian.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!