Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How can I get D3 to work like it did 2 yrs ago? (Read 10555 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: How can I get D3 to work like it did 2 yrs ago?
Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 1:59am

Sean,

You're on...  We'd love to drive over to Gig Harbor to go fishing with you and your wife...  It's only a 25 minute drive from home here in Tracyton...  Nothing wrong with downrigger trolling...  I do it all the time... When you pay as much for a fishing license and King Salmon stamp as we do...  getting fish in the box and limiting out each day is the only way to go.

Fishing out of Pelican, Alaska has been a hoot for the last 5 years...  I've also fished Ketchikan for the last 8 years...  Pelican is a throwback from the late 50s to the early 80s when salmon was king...

You run into the greatest people there...  Last year I attended church the day before King season opened for the commercial trollers...  7 of the 12 people in church that day were from Kitstap County where I live... Go figure...

With the Alaska Ferry system in the red, the only way to get there most of the time is by an hour's ride by Beaver out of Juneau... 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The cannery has been out of business for years and the only thing that keeps the town alive is the hydroelectic plant that essentially makes electricity for free... the locals still pay 3 cents/kilowatt hour and the gas dock that sells gas for $5/gallon with a dollar a gallon that pays for the city government.

That said... you meet some of the best people there... usually at Rose's Bar and Grill if not out on open water.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Rose is 82 and has been running the establishment for the last 42 years...  and I've yet to see anyone best her in many rounds of tequila shots... 

We were there on 2 July 2013 to celebrate her 80th birthday and 40th year as owner and proprietor of Rose's...  She's an Alaskan icon and skippered a tug boat in Alaska for 10 years before she sold the tug in order to buy the bar and grill.

I even have Rose and her daughter taking the anti-inflammatory regimen on a daily basis

It's better than Cheers with only 130 full time residents and the usual bar crowd during fishing season includes a lot of faces you can't miss...

The gent with white hair in front of me is Bill Pierre of Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle...  He keeps his boat in Juneau and spends a month there in Pelican.

We've never been skunked fishing out of Pelican and always come home with 50 to 100 lbs each of vacuum sealed frozen fillets...

And yes, I do a better than average job cutting fillets off halibut...

The trick fishing there in Alaska is getting the fish in the boat and into the fish box before the Orca help themselves to all your hard work.

I grew up near Bremerton, WA and spent my summers from 1949 through 1966 catching cutthroat and blackmouth spin casting off the beach with just a candlefish on 6 lb test line...

Regarding your CH, what was working and what wasn't... Stay on the anti-inflammatory regimen at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 year round and your next cycle will likely be a non-event.  Then you'll know for sure...

My wife and I have been on this regimen since 2010...  My wife was a 20 year chronic migraineur when she started this regimen in 2010...  She's been PF ever since and takes 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3...  She's also 78 and runs my ass off... but that's ok by me.

The latest finding and good news is taking one or two 25 mg Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) tablets a day along with the anti-inflammatory regimen.  I didn't realize how much an allergic reaction can clobber the effectiveness of CH medications including vitamin D3... 

When the pollen count is heavy with alder and maple pollen, I need two 25 mg tablets of Benadryl and at least 30,000 IU/day vitamin D3 to stay pain free...  It jacks my 25(OH)D well over 100 ng/mL, but my serum calcium remains within the normal reference range.

Take care and please keep us posted.  I'll send you a PM with our numbers...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 2:44am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 9:57pm

Hey B Allen,

Good question.  End of cycle can and frequently does confuse episodic CH'ers looking for the reason why their painful attacks ceased.  This confounding factor increases as the episodic CH'er nears the end of cycle.

As you can see from the latest online survey results, the majority of CH'ers experience a favorable response to the anti-inflammatory regimen within the first week to 10 days after starting this regimen.

I was aware of this confounding factor when I developed the questionnaire for the online survey so posed the following question...  and you can see the responses in the graphic below:

The only way you can prove the efficacy of the anti-inflammatory regimen with any degree of certainty is to stay on it at 10,000 IU/day year round...  That way when your "normal" cycle comes around... the odds are it will be a non-event and you'll sail through it pain free.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 9:58pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 10:17pm

Batch,
           That fishing destination is now on my bucket list Sir.
  Whilst my boat is docked getting some serious fibre glassing repairs and re powering, which time wise is really stretching out,  Those photo's sure do make me drool !
   I call fishing, "cluster theorapy"   I've never ever been hit with them, whilst in the boat !  Its my excuse !  and what I tell my wife,  A cluster preventative  Grin  all be it one of the most expensive types  Wink
kindest regards
colin

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #28 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 12:53am

Quote:
I call fishing, "cluster theorapy" 

My greatest preventives have always been fishing and making love, and DennyM has long been buying me all of my tackle and bait.

She even chipped in for my new beach rod!

There's nothing to compare with a great supporter who truly understands and cares.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #29 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 3:15am

I've been having a lot of fun for the past few weeks catching 5-7kg Salmon, fishing from the rocks at Fremantle.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2015 at 5:14am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #30 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:14pm

That's great Batch, I was hoping you'd bite. Your pics make me jealous, I've only been to Alaska twice and that was awhile ago but it sure offers incredible fishing. Lings, black rocks, halibut and kings...... don't get any better than that! Cept maybe a yellow eye or two.

It's been slow for me so far in the South Sound, only 8 or 9 hook ups, only 4 stayed on and 2 of those were wild, but August is the best month down here so there's still hope. And catching pinks on trout tackle is a kick and that's just around the corner. I'll get in touch so we can figure out a time. Plus there's Sept for silvers when we motor up North and fish the west side of Possession Bar and that's when we fill the freezer.

My cycle is still clinging on but it's lost it's punch, should have been over by 4 weeks now. Synopsis.... 3 weeks for vitamins to take effect, 5 weeks PF, ch's came back week 9, upped the d3 to 20,000 per day for a week and that turned the tables, been 95% Pf weeks 10 thru 12. Even had a couple of Wild Turkeys on Friday..... and got away with it!

Sean

I'd love to post some pics but it would probably take me forever to figure out how.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 12:28am

Sean,

Sounds like a plan...  I'll shoot you a PM with my nums...

I'm making a run up to Ketchikan for 5 days on the 14th of August for the annual family outing with the guys... bother in law, two nephews and cousin...

and we did limit out on Yelloweye while at Pelican...

I hate to pull in a big hen like that full of eggs... Unfortunately, they're coming up from so deep their swim bladders have rearranged all the internals to the point it would be useless even if we could get them back to the bottom for release...  A Yelloweye that size is likely over 30 years old...

We also broke the code on shrimp... although next year we're going to pick up an electric pot puller...  Pulling up shrimp pots from 300 feet by hand is a lot of work...

Regarding your CH... Give Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) a try...  One or two 25 mg tablets a day made a huge difference for me when pollen from the alder and big leaf maple was blowing like a dust storm...  I'm still taking one tablet every other day...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:31am

Batch, sounds good to me. Beautiful yellow eye but you're right, it's seems a shame to kill a fish that old but on the other hand they taste awesome. I'm assuming you're talking about 4 spot shrimp (tastiest shrimp in the world). We used to shrimp Hood canal before they over regulated it and we too hand pulled the first year.By the next season I'd welded up a stainless steel davit and mounted a Vickers hydraulic pump on my motor with an electric clutch and quick disconnects for the davit. It's a sweet set-up and we can really smoke those pots through the water but the electric setup is a lot easier to install, works just fine and is way cheaper.

I have been lax on the Benadryl lately, when my sinuses aren't going ballistic I tend to forget.

Thanks,  Sean

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:30am

Spots...

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:44am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:06pm

That's the critter.... we call em 4 spot but I think they're known as spot shrimp, either way they taste like little lobsters to me..... dipped in butter.  We used to live for shrimp season but nowadays with a 4 or 5 hour window on Saturdays and Wednesdays, an 80 shrimp limit and a
4 day season we don't bother anymore. Sad

Sean

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!