Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Botox and Neural Blocks for Cluster Migraines (Read 7514 times)
shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Botox and Neural Blocks for Cluster Migraines
Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:37am

Thank you to those of you who have already offered me advice but I thought I would throw the question out to the wider CH.com community.

I had the unfortunate experience of going through a cluster migraine a couple of days ago and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.
I am currently in cycle but also suffer from migraines. I take 360mg verapamil and 100mg topomax daily and am 5 weeks into the D3 regime and 1 week out of the loading regime.
I am waiting for my blood test to come back so I don't know what my levels are yet.

I am under the care of an excellent neurologist who was able to stop the cluster migraine with Relpax 80mg (Eletriptan)
I do have the option of upping my verapamil and I will be discussing O2 with him tomorrow. He also wanted to discuss either Botox or a Neural Block with me as a preventative as I am not happy about staying on the Topomax long term as it does make me dopey.
I have been told that the success of the Neural block comes downs to how good the neurologist is and that Botox can be quite expensive.

Has anybody had any success with either procedure for clusters,migraines or cluster migraines ?

I would appreciate any input as both seem quite scary but I do need to find a solution to my problem as I don't want to go through another one of those monsters again.

There are things worse than clusters .... just

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Botox and Neural Blocks for Cluster Migraines
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 10:24am

You are using or considering so many different approaches that when you get some relief it won't be possible to tell which treatment has done the job.

Suggest you work out a plan of serial, systematic trials with each treatment so that a valid evaluation is possible.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 5:06pm

Thank you Bob you are correct but after appointment with my neurologist on Monday a definite paln has been put in place.
He is experienced and was trained at the Mayo Clinic so I trust him.
In his words my brain has become highly sensitized to pain and I do have many things going on.
The plan is to have Botox on Wednesday to try and settle my head down so he can then treat the clusters and the migraines on a level playing field. He will then up my Verapamil to 480mg/day and reduce the Topomax to 50mg/day.
The complication is that I also have high blood pressure which is heighten my head pain levels.
I don't expect any one thing to be a silver bullet just each thing being a piece of the puzzle. 
It is a complicated situation which I believe he has a handle on.
I understand what you are saying but I believe he has it under control.
Thank you for your concern
Alan

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 10:59pm

I have had two rounds of Botox and two ONB, none has helped.

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 11:27pm

Thanks for your reply CDog, hope I have more luck.

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 6:02am

Just to update

Had the Botox injections 2 days ago. Pain sensitivity in my head has dropped dramatically and haven't had a cluster hit or migraine since. It's early days but so far so good.

The best thing is I've been able to drop my Topomax dose back by half which has increased my quality of life no end (no grogginess). Blood pressure has dropped but still needs further attention.

It's been said many times on this site but a good neurologist is worth their weight in gold and is absolutely essential to deal with all headache issues as they can become very complex.

All the best

Alan

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:25pm

Thrilled to hear you're finding a plan to manage this beast. Please keep us updated as this sort of information is important to so many CHeads.

Full steam and damn the torpedoes!

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:31pm

Great to hear Shortstraw!

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2014 at 9:32pm

Botox works quite well for my Sister's migraines.

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 8:23pm

Currently, in Norway, research is happening where botox is actually injected into the brain. The procedure is said to leave chronics painless.

A video of the procedure on YouTube

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The reseacher is Dr. Med. Erling Tronvik at Trondheim University Hospital.

One of the subjects is herself a Dr. Med.  Here she has filmed herself during an attack.

Just reporting, personally I find idea frightening

-zg

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 1:02am

Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement

Good news is that I've continued to improve and haven't had a migraine or cluster hit since I last posted. I can't say it has been definitive for clusters as I may have gone out of cycle but as far the pain sensitivity in my head and the chronic migraines I was experiencing, it has definitely done the job. Although my neurologist did say he did target the trigeminal nerve so I wouldn't discount a positive response on that front.

Zeitgeist, I watched the video and I've got to say the injections into the scalp were enough for me to endure. Having a needle that deep would concern me too.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Alan

IP Logged

lennycohen
CH.com Junior

Clemmons, NC
Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:02am

I think the procedure that Zeitgeist is referencing is a sphenopalatine ganglion block. There is also some literature around sg stimulation, i.e., an implantable device. One would think these procedures are for last resort, given the risks involved.

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 4:31am

Just thought I would give my last update and two cents worth on Botox.
I had my 2nd round of Botox injections two weeks ago and a week later went into cycle despite being on verapamil (upped to 480mg/day a week ago) and D3 (1 week into another loading dose) I'm sure these will kick in shortly to give me some relief. I will also be getting oxygen this week so I should be covered (non-breather mask already purchased) I went on the pred taper this morning to buy me some time so when this is finished, everything else should kick in.

In short the Botox has not been effective for my Clusters which seems to support the general opinion. However I believe it has been very effective in controlling my chronic migraines as I have had only 1 in the last 4 months which was quickly despatched with a Relpax (God's little gift to migraine sufferers !)

Thanks for all the support and I hope this info helps someone out there

Alan

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:58am

shortstraw wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 4:31am:
...Thanks for all the support and I hope this info helps someone out there

Alan

This info helps all of us 'out there' and we thank you sincerely.

Please keep it coming to allow other CHeads to make informed decisions about the different options available.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

JF
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 9:45pm

I just had my first ever botox injection 2 weeks ago. The intensity and frequency have gone down steadily since and I haven't had a full blown CH since the injection. I haven't felt the need to use any triptans for the past 4-days now which is such a relief after 2 months of having at least 2 CH per day. Hopefully the treatment continues to work, I will write with an update in a week or 2.

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #15 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 11:09pm

Great to hear, hope it lasts a good long time!

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 12:56am

I've read it works well treating migraine headaches. So, lets
hope it can do the same for some of us clusterheads.

Hoppy

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 4:10am

Glad to hear your are getting a positive response JF, really hope it continues !

I am due to have my 4th round of Botox in a couple of weeks.

I am currently into my 6 month of cycle and just finished a 2nd pred taper (normal cycle 8 weeks). Initially I thought it had an impact, but if it did, it has clearly finished. It seems to be with most CH treatments, success is down to the individual.

However I find the Botox very effective for migraines. I have gone from being a chronic sufferer to an infrequent one. I'll take the wins where I can !

Alan

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 4:27am

Hi Alan,
           Sorry to hear your in another lengthy cycle !  Damn
  you seem to be right, success is down to the individual.
I hope all's tracking well with everything else ?

all the best
colin

IP Logged

JF
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:48pm

Latest report on my botox treatment: it's been exactly a month today since I got my botox injections, and all the symptoms have disappeared within 4-5 days following the injections and I am now tapering off from the verapamil. I am so relieved the botox was so effective in getting rid of the CH's. Hopefully other CH sufferer will have the same outcome as me!

IP Logged

ElizabethCrist
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 3:05am

I too have been suffering from chronic migraine since past one year. On consultation with my doctor, I got a Dysport injection but that never helped me get rid of the pain. Doesn't that really work? Tried a lot of home remedies also but nothing helped until I went for a cosmetic botox treatment in a clinic in Brampton, Med-Aesthetics, welcomed the relief for nearly 2 months. It's definitely worth a try.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 3:51am

G'day Elizabeth, welcome to ClusterHeadaches.com, and it's terrific you're getting serious relief from your migraines using Botox.

Quite a few who must live with cluster headaches have been trying it too.

Results have been mixed so far but heck, anything that helps any sort of headache has gotta be good so thanks for passing on your experience.

One day there'll be a cure for us all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!