Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on Prednisone (Read 671 times)
Jovan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Question on Prednisone
Aug 3rd, 2014 at 3:46am

I have read lot on the long term effects of Prednisone.

Does anyone here have experience of the symptoms of long term use of Prednisone? How much are you taking and how long?

My experience of 10mg pd for up to 2 or 3 months during bouts has been no symptoms or apparant long term effects. Except having to get up twice  night to urinate which I can live with if it keeps the pain away. Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Question on Prednisone
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 1:33pm

The question should be: At what dosage, taken for how long, do side effects becom a possible probelem?

When we use Pred to rapidly break a string of attacks, the dose may range from 50-100mg per day, decreasing (usually) by 10mg every 3rd day, to zero.

Side effects are rare used this way. It's a med which, when used for weeks/months (as necessary for some conditions) that significiant problems often develop.

=======What follows isn't aimed at you! It's just an opportunity  to post some thoughts on the issue.

It's critical for your peace of mind to understand that Federal law requires the listing of side effects. What is almost NEVER expressed here in our messages is the actual rate of occurrence. If you get to the library or drug store and read the PDR (Physicians' Desk Reference) you will see the rate is 1/2% or less and upward.

Rates are POSSIBILITIES, NOT PREDICTIONS. It's a mistake to take every listed side effect as a statement that this WILL occur for you.

Individual biology and our personal medical history is so complex that it's extremely difficult to predict what, if any, reaction you may have to any particular drug or combination of meds that you may be taking. Your single, best protection is to get from your doc/pharmacist, a list of the possibilities and then monitor yourself. Few side effects are life threatening at such speed that you can't respond to signs. Know the signs of a developing issue allows you to contact you doc for advice.

I'm troubled by the number of folks who post comments about side effects, written in such a style that it conveys that this or that side effect is always associated with XX drug. These statement are a disservice to people who have no background in medicine, to new-comers who need information and not fear.

Another self-protection: never accept such a statement which is not given along with some information about degree/frequency of occurrence. Appreciate that we are not medical profs. and confirm what you read here before taking action upon our messages.
------
A message I posted about this same issue re. dogs. The message is the same......

I posted this message on a chat group for dog owners (Vizsla). The issues are the same whether we are talking about animals or humans--so a little translating of words will make it understandable. The core idea: side effects are not an absolute--yes/no--issue. We must always balance potential risk with potential benefit. I'm concerned with the tendency to present comments about medicine side effects in terms which frighten folks away from trying meds which might be of benefit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question about side effects from food (allergies) or medications pops up regularly. The problem is, we don't ask the correct questions. The issues are:

1. What is the rate or chance or probability that any particular side effect will develop?

Without information it's easy to assume that the list of side effects is a statement of what will happen if the med is used. In fact, side effects are reported in human medicine/vet literature as a rate of occurrence ranging from less than one percent and ranging upward.

It's important to ask the Vet for two pieces of information: what are the side effects?; what is the rate or chance that a particular effect will occur? Without information it's impossible to make a good judgment about using or not.

2. How serious are the side effects compared to the condition for which the med is being used?

3. How important is my judgment about the risk of side effects vs. the benefit of using this med?

This is a wholly subjective judgment which no one can make for us. We make a decision about how much risk tolerance we have; what are we willing to bear.

Bottom line: A list of side effects is a statement of POSSIBILITIES. It is not a PREDICTION of what will occur. Wisdom calls for knowing both the risk and asking the vet what to look for, i.e., symptoms of side effects. 
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2014 at 1:34pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!