Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisone Taper ? (Read 1120 times)
koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Prednisone Taper ?
Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:31pm

I have a Rx for a Prednisone taper from my Neuro. I hate prednisone and haven't taken it for years, but unfortunately I am having a CH cycle and I have tried everything to stop it but nothing is working and I am going on vacation in a week and won't have my O2.

Anyway, this is the taper from my Neuro. Prednisone tablets are 20mg each.

Instructions: Take 4 tablets orally daily for 3 days then take 3 & 1/2 tablets daily for 3 days, then take 3 tablets daily for 3 days, then take 2 & 1/2 tablets daily for 3 days, then take 2 tablets daily for 3 days, then 1 & 1/2 tablets daily for 3 days, then 1 tablet daily for 3 days, then 1/2 tablet daily f***

Isn't 80mg a lot for the first 3 days?...I don't recall ever taking that much? Maybe I should just start at 60? I only need to really be on it for relief for 7 days.

--mike--

IP Logged

Mjedwards409
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Prednisone Taper ?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:34pm

My wife who hasn't been formally diagnosed with CH (but the symptoms are pretty much spot on) just got off of a 7 day pred taper.  Hers started at 60mg and went down from there.  She was completely PF from the first day at 60mg if that tells you anything.  HA's started returning 2 days after the taper was finished.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:28pm

koctail wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:31pm:
Isn't 80mg a lot for the first 3 days?...I don't recall ever taking that much? Maybe I should just start at 60? I only need to really be on it for relief for 7 days.

This is where the question really needs to be directed to your doctor as whilst a prednisione taper will start at 60, 70 or 80 (typically) and taper off over 7-10 days, exactly what the starting dose is, how long it will taper off for and how the tapering will be done will be dependent on your own medical history.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:35am

High initial dosing is need to knock the Cluster but, since you are tapering down rather quicklyl, there is no side effect problems which ARE associated with taking this med for weeks/months (as reauired to treat other disorders).

You should be starting a long acting preventive AT THE SAME TIME you started the Pred. These meds take several days to become frully effective. That's why fast acting Pred first, for brief time, AS you are starting to build up onthe longer acting preventive.

Print the PDF file, below. Nice tool to use to discuss you questions with the doc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 12:22pm

Thanks Bob, I take Verapamil...have for many years, but I did just incresae my dose to 600mg from 480mg which I know may take a week or two to show any signs that it is working. Pred will help during that time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!