Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mushrooms and vitamin d3 regimen (Read 3723 times)
cc45713
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

mushrooms and vitamin d3 regimen
Jul 22nd, 2014 at 9:51am

I've been on vitamin D3 regimen including all cofactors for almost a week now and my attacks seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

I'm getting 2-3 attacks during the day and every 90 minutes at night. The daytime attacks are mild as no pacing is required.  The night hits are killers. K7-8 that take 20 minutes of oxygen or more to kill. I could be going into the high point of my cycle or it could be the D3 regimen, I don't know.

What I'm wondering is, should I try busting with mushrooms while on the D3 regimen?  Are there any adverse effects of mixing the two therapies?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: mushrooms and vitamin d3 regimen
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 3:34pm

Hey CC,

How much vitamin D3 are you taking?  Did you get the lab test for 25(OH)D before starting this regimen? 

Knowing your 25(OH)D serum concentration can help determine the optimum vitamin D3 loading schedule I mentioned in my last post to you. Front loading your vitamin D3 intake can help prevent any increase in the frequency of your CH after starting the anti-inflammatory regimen.

Roughly 10% of CH'ers who start the anti-inflammatory regimen at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and who do not use the vitamin D3 loading schedule experience an increase in the frequency of their CH.

Increasing your vitamin D3 intake during the first month to a total of 500,000 to 600,000 IU can help prevent an increase in the frequency of your CH.  I know that may sound like a lot of vitamin D3 but it works out to an average of 18,000 to 21,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

Starting the 3-month course of vitamin B 50 can also help.

As far as busting goes while taking the anti-inflammatory regimen, there have been many CH'ers who were busting that decided to try the anti-inflammatory regimen.  20 out of the first 25 who did this experienced a cessation of their CH... None reported any problems.

I'd try the vitamin D3 loading schedule and the vitamin B 50 for a week or two before turning to busting.  You can find the loading schedule at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2014 at 3:35pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

cc45713
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:57pm

Ok I see where I went wrong. I started the dosing schedule as outlined but did not do the 50,000 iu of vitamin D3 at the beginning. I'm in 5 days now and just took the loading dose today after reading your reply.

My vitamin d levels as measured by my blood were 92 nmol/L just prior to starting the regimen.

I read but did not fully understand the vitamin B 50 for three months aspect to the schedule. Will starting that now help with reducing frequency and strength of my attacks?

I've also read situations where you do not recommend the calcium citrate. Should I continue with them?

Also, thank you for answering my question about busting.

IP Logged

cc45713
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:58pm

Based on my attacks over the last two days Im pretty sure I would fall into that 10% category.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 9:13am

Hi CC,
          from my experience,,,  taking 20,000 d3 per day, plus a 50,000 loading dose once a week, after two weeks you should be around 150 nmol, which is still below the green zone !   STICK WITH IT !!!
the rest of the vitamins, magnesium, fish oil and the "k" also have anti inflammatory properties, exactly what prednisone is used for. calcium, can effect verapamil if you take it to close together,  but I found because I have a good diet of calcium, I just rely on the 200mg that batch's multi vitamin has in it.
I take everything at night after dinner in one hit.
some people have an instant reaction to the regime, others like me, took a little while to build up in my system.
once up to the levels needed, it acts as a preventative, but most people, including me, start taking it when we are full flight into a cycle ! 
CC, stick with it,   02 and red bull are our friends,  unfortunately sometimes, as batch said the ch attacks can escalate when starting the regime, maybe it knows whats coming !!! the beast is intelligent    Grin  you just need to get thru this initial period and then, cross fingers, your one of the lucky 83% that either go pain free, or dramatically reduces its intensity come next cycle....
I was similar to you, in a bad cycle and I wanted it to work the minute I popped the first regime dose ! it didn't, it sent the cycle into overdrive, but relief gradually came !!
hang in there !

regards
colin

IP Logged

cc45713
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 12:25pm

Thank you for the motivation. It helps quite a lot to have someone able to accurately describe exactly the situation I'm going through right now.

It's probably because I'm tired and worn down that's making me feel so emotional, but the thought of someone I have never met taking the time out of their day to give me a boost really touched me. Thanks.

Yesterday I had 12 attacks according to my cluster diary. Most I've ever had that I can remember. It felt like I couldn't even lay my head down without feeling like a pressure was building up in my head.  It was terrible. Even when I wasn't having an attack, I was having lightning bolt like twangs of pain that would cause me to jerk my head. 

I took the loading dose as I mentioned and today I've yet to have a single attack. My head feels really fragile and kind of bruised but that's it. Fingers crossed.

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:40pm

Hi cc, the d3 regimen has worked for me, i've been mainly pain free for the last 16 months. Hang in there buddy. I had a few shadows recently probably due to a big change in air pressure and the fact that i started working outside in the countryside where there is a lot of pollen around and allergens that gobble up the D3. I took 50000 iu D3 for 2 days, then 40000 iu for a further 2 days and i'm staying at 20000 iu/day now for another while. This nipped the attack in the bud and i'm not shadow free as well. I'd recommend that you take 50000 iu D3 for 2 days, then 40000 for 2 more days and then 20000/day for a week or 2, that should see you better fairly rapidly, i hope so anyway. It takes a huge amount of D3 before you reach toxicity so don't be afraid, the info on toxicity is around this website somewhere. You have arrived in a great community here, enjoy it, there is so much to learn. I'm certainly delighted to have found CH.com, I have received immense support and help and thanks to this, i can again live all aspects of life to the full, thank you Batch and all!
All the best
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2014 at 3:42pm by thierry »  

IP Logged

CHEMF
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:38pm

Hello all, I have suffered CH attacks since 2002. The beginning of 2014 was the worst season ever. I began by taking melatonin to abort small attacks and this year I have found that pressing on the artery on the right side of my neck (LOTS OF PRESSURE) helped abort them too. Not happy with simply aborting them, but it was enough to get by.

Interestingly though, I have found that my headaches were triggered to prolonged exposure to EMF...cell towers more specifically.

Using an EMF meter, I was able to determine that my bedroom was bombarded by the radiation released by the tower, the wall closest to my head when i sleep specifically. During weekdays the signal would only be strongest in my room while other rooms were not. Weekends though were another story, all of the apartment was bombarded and the meter went crazy all over. The cell tower affecting me is 300 yards (+/- 50) away.

I was also able to confirm my sensitivity to EMF during my commute to work (25 miles). During my commute I drive by 8 or so cell towers. With no intent to BS, I was able to detect a nearby cell tower with the feeling of discomfort on my face, mainly on the right side. I blamed this pain on a root canal I had done years ago on that same side and almost had that tooth extracted. My cell phone also triggered my attacks (Samsung and iphone).

My belief that EMF was triggering my attacks led me to interests in Faraday cages to absorb/deflect the signal. But as my CH attacks got worse I abandoned those ideas for the time being.

I read stuff online that led me to start taking Vitamin D (D3), Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc (Natures Way Brand). My sensitivity to EMF from cell towers has since decreased dramatically.

I don't believe this is the case for everyone, but if you want to take the test do the following:

1. Locate a cell tower far away and slowly approach it and check if you're feeling a CH shadow or facial discomfort.

2. If you do feel discomfort, drive around the city and locate cell towers simply by the CH shadow/discomfort.

3. Take a supplement containing the ingredients aforementioned and wash it down with a mineral water (higher calcium content recommended).

4. Wait a while and repeat steps 1 and 2.

You should notice a drastic drop in sensitivity.

EMF might not be your trigger, but its worth a shot especially if you live near a cell tower and have CH attacks mostly on the weekends. You might have deficiencies like I do.

I still plan on reducing the amount of EMF that enters my room somehow and get healthier to eliminate any deficiencies/excess I may have.

The EMF meter I used only registers 0-5 miligauss but would register more if it had a higher range, so the exact amount is not known at this point. Still debating on spending the money for a trustworthy one.

I hope this was none the less entertaining to read.
I am hoping to go the rest of the year CH free.

Good luck finding your treatments!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 8:33pm

Hi and welcome

CHEMF wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 5:38pm:
My belief that EMF was triggering my attacks led me to interests in Faraday cages to absorb/deflect the signal. But as my CH attacks got worse I abandoned those ideas for the time being.

Can you tell us more about how you tried to use a Faraday cage, especially around the cage construction. A suitably constructed Faraday cage should block electric fields.

If you are blindfolded and are driven around on a random route by someone else are you able to identify cell phone towers?

Have you identified any other triggers?

IP Logged

CHEMF
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 12:54pm

Can you tell us more about how you tried to use a Faraday cage, especially around the cage construction. A suitably constructed Faraday cage should block electric fields.

If you are blindfolded and are driven around on a random route by someone else are you able to identify cell phone towers?

Have you identified any other triggers? [/quote]

These are/were my triggers:
1. Pork
2. Alcohol
3. Ham/Deli cuts
4. Chocolate

I live in Chicago and commute to the northern suburbs. The Edens and the Spur is what I take. When I convinced myself that the tower near my house was causing/contributing to my CH attacks, I began to look for towers when I would get the shadow/facial discomfort. Never did I pay attention to how many I drove passed by until then. The first one that I picked up on was on the inbound Edens where it merges with the Kennedy...there are towers on each side, I had a near attack while on the left lane and aborted it with heavy controlled breathing and pressure on my neck.

On the way to work they are not so easy to feel since I don't believe the towers have as much output as in the traffic jam hours. I don't know how cell towers work but I am willing to bet that they adjust their output according to heavy usage.

I never tried the blind fold test, but i think I would be able to if I was off the supplements. Not gonna happen anytime soon though, sorry, do not want to risk it.

I compare the exposure to EMF like having a sunburn, the cell tower = the sun's rays and my facial nerves = the burnt skin. If I have been exposed to too much EMF from the tower (mostly in my sleep on the weekends), I will be extremely sensitive to it...especially my cell phone. Kind of like room temp water on a sunburned shoulders.

I was just beginning to learn about Faraday cages from what I found on the web. Didn't get a chance to think up a design but it involved a lot of aluminum foil. All I wanted was to attenuate the EMF to lower levels where the meter/detector would not be past full scale and maybe in the green (low scale).

The supplement treatment I am on is in its early stages, I still have the bruised head feeling...but no afraid of strong shadows at this point. I have not yet found my correct dosage, but I am working on it.

Happy reading Smiley

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:22am

Here we go with the cell phone theories.  Cell phones are being blamed for everything these days.

If you understood how little energy there is in cell phone signals from the base stations, and how rapidly it attenuates over distance, you would realize that it can't possibly be the cause of CH or any of the other things it is being blamed for.

When the cell phone transmitting antenna is immediately next to the head, the energy levels are much, much higher.  And even then, conclusive evidence that it can cause atomic or molecular damage has yet to be found.

The amount of energy required to damage macro-scale blood vessels in the head or to even be detectable by a human would require something similar to putting your head into a microwave oven.

In fact you should use your EMF meter to see how much energy is leaking out of your aging microwave oven.  You are probably getting a much higher dose of radiation from its leaks than from anything cell phone related.

BTW, I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:35am

hey CC,
           yeah, im feeling for you !  as most would be here, we are all the same !!
ive recently been going thru a cycle, big shadows and a few single hits at night, BUT, nothing over about a 3-4, so ive titrated up on d3 and gradually getting the shadows under control. but, 12 months ago, when I wasn't on the d3 regime, my life would have been hell, 4 to 5 kip 8-10's a day. So, I have to tune the regime to suit my own situation.
sure, I thought the world was caving in when they returned a month ago, but I have to check myself and think back before the regime.
there's plenty of people with loads of good advice here, including the "guru" himself "batch".
  unfortunately im not one of those that go totally pain free, but, im working on it, im lifting my nmol up to 250 to see if that makes me sail thru future cycles.
So get yourself up there, get another test done so you have a reference point, take the maintenance dose of 10,000 there after, then after 2-3 months, get tested again to see if the maintenance dose is maintaining your levels. don't be frightened once your there, and shadows return, to do a week of titrating up, 20,000 per day and a 50,000 loading dose, as said before, you will be no where near toxicity levels,  you will find that level...
good luck and keep us informed how your going
colin

IP Logged

cc45713
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 7:01am

Hey Blacklab. Sorry to hear that your getting hits.

I just answered a reply in another thread regarding magnesium citrate.  Thank you.

Think I should follow your lead and up my d3 doses on a daily basis to maybe 30,000iu's in addition to the second weekly loading dose? Or stick with the outlined program and see how it plays out?  I have another blood test scheduled at the doctors in a couple of weeks and I can verify my nmol/L levels then.

This site and it's members have been a saving grace for me during this cycle. I find myself checking in for new information  several times a day!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!