Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil - When to take for morning hits (Read 1082 times)
CrankieFrankie
CH.com Junior

Clusterhead

New Jersey
Verapamil - When to take for morning hits
Jul 8th, 2014 at 9:36am

I'm back after a year and a half of being PF.

I went back on verapamil which has worked for me in the past. I usually take one pill at 8am and the other at 8pm. I'm down to one hit a day (usually) and it always tends to start between 8:30 and 9.

So my question is, is the timing of my doses causing me to get them at this time every day? Should I wait until later at night to take Verapamil? I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor today about my dose. Just figured I would check here first.

"I close my eyes, I tell myself to breathe and be calm. I know you feel like you are breaking down. I know that it gets so hard sometimes. Be calm."

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Verapamil - When to take for morning hits
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 9:54am

It's a long acting med and so timing is not important. What is crucial is a sufficient dose to block attacks. Not uncommon to have to be in the range of 400-900mg/day.

Work with your doc to review your treatment plan, including the Verap. dosing.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

yannis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 6:21pm

Hello brother! I am just like you. i was pain free since january when i stopped the verapamil of course under my doctor's advice. I have chronic cluster headaches and the last week i get the worst headaches of my life. So i had to start again the verapamil which worked for me in the past . So after one week under verapamil i still have an attack every 2 days but i know that verapamil start to work 2-5 weeks after the first dose. To be honest the day 2 with verapamil, i started to feel better with clear head but then day 3 i get a terrible attack. but day after day i feel better and better of course i can feel the beast inside my head and the high temperature. today my gp he prescribed me immigran nasal spray for the really hard days. To be honest i ve never tried this before so i don't know if it works on me. But in terms of verapamil if it worked well for you in the past don't worry it will work again just give it some time. The hours doesn't really matter as as i ve told you before the verapamil wants time and if you change the hours it doesn't matter.Good luck mate and stay strong Wink

IP Logged

CrankieFrankie
CH.com Junior

Clusterhead

New Jersey
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 12:35pm

I've been testing it out the past week and I noticed that if I take one pill at 9:30pm and the next one at 7-7:30am, I can skip my morning hit. I don't know if this is just the meds kicking in or whatnot, but all I know is I'm not going to mess with it now if it seems to be working. Just wanted to share what I found. Not sure if it would make a difference for anyone else, but you never know.

"I close my eyes, I tell myself to breathe and be calm. I know you feel like you are breaking down. I know that it gets so hard sometimes. Be calm."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!