Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imagine a CH without the pain (Read 1958 times)
Willly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Imagine a CH without the pain
Jul 26th, 2013 at 1:22pm

I had a sphenopalantine ganglion block and it has done wonders for the pain.  I am well aware that it could only last a short while. Now that I have very little pain (2-3), I am finding myself focusing on my other symptoms which have not gone away.   Mainly, my Horner's symptoms are still very much presenting themselves, with my my right eyelid at half mast and asymmetrical pupils. I start wondering what is causing all this crap.  Anyone else?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Imagine a CH without the pain
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 3:23pm

Headache:lessons learned from functional imaging
British Medical Bulletin 2003; 65: 223-234

Arne May
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany

Using PET in a larger patient series, significant activations ascribable to the acute cluster headache were observed in the ipsilateral hypothalamic grey matter when compared to the headache-free state44. This highly significant activation was not seen in cluster headache patients out of the bout when compared to the patients experiencing an acute cluster headache attack45. In contrast to migraine25, no brainstem activation was found during the acute attack compared to the resting state. This is remarkable, as migraine and cluster headache are often discussed as related disorders and identical specific compounds, such as ergotamine and sumatriptan, are currently used in the acute treatment of both types of headache46. These data suggest that while primary headaches such as migraine and cluster headache may share a common pain pathway, the trigeminovascular innervation, the underlying pathogenesis differs significantly as might be inferred from the different patterns of presentation and responses to preventative agents46.
Just as it is striking that no brainstem activation occurs in contrast to acute migraine, no hypothalamic activation was seen in experimental pain induced by capsaicin injection into the forehead47. This is important because injection of the forehead would activate first (ophthalmic) division afferents which are the trigeminal division predominantly responsible for pain activation in cluster headache. Thus two other types of first division of trigeminal nerve pain, while sharing neuro-anatomical pathways with cluster headache, do not give rise to

VASCULAR HEADACHE: ARE BLOOD VESSELS INVOLVED?

Taking these observations on acute cluster headache together with what has been observed in experimental head-pain and migraine, the data establish that migraine and CLUSTER HEADACHE, FAR FROM BEING PRIMARILY VASCULAR DISORDERS, ARE CONDITIONS WHOSE GENESIS IS TO BE FOUND IN THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM IN PACEMAKER OR CIRCADIAN REGIONS SPECIFIC TO THE SYNDROME. If further studies confirm these findings, a better understanding will be gained of where and how acute and preventative therapy can be targeted.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Willly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Thanks Bob.  I cannot begin to explain the sensation of a CH without the majority of the pain.  While not nearly as bad, it is still distressing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:05pm

Willly wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 6:58pm:
Thanks Bob.  I cannot begin to explain the sensation of a CH without the majority of the pain.  While not nearly as bad, it is still distressing.

I've experienced a few migraine equivelents where I get all the symptoms but no pain. It really feels pretty weird when it happens. Just treat it as if it is the version with pain, so use your usual abortives to kill it off.

IP Logged

Willly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 3:57pm

I just started the D3 regiment.  Also, my pain doc is going to do another sphenopalantine ganglion block on Friday, and our plan is to keep hitting the nerve for a while.  We'll see what happens... When it's gotten real bad, my doc prescribed dilaudid 4 mgs.  They scared the hell out of me because they really helped with the pain.  I haven't had to touch even half a pill in the last two weeks.

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 5:58pm

anybody else try this  ?

ok i just tried to post a link from youtube for
Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block (there is a video of a place in arizona that does this), but i havnt posted 10 posts here so it wouldnt let me do it,, you can find it yourselves on youtube. I would love to hear from more here that may have had this done ? thanks all

IP Logged

Willly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:22pm

I don't expect any miracles, and I know that this is one more very dull knife attacking a very keen monster.  For me, it's working for the moment.  More-so, it really is disconcerting to have all of my Horner's symptoms but very little pain. I could be one of the few it works for. I did attach a picture.  Embarrassed Finally, from what I have read, this has failed for most so I am not advocating this, especially after you see my pic!
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:28pm by Willly »  

IP Logged

repguy2020
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Canada
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:55pm

Holy smokes that looks uncomfortable! Not as uncomfortable as a kip 9, but not pleasant. Hope it works and I hope the rest of the shadows subside, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!