Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Cycle After Experience (Read 2234 times)
elizabeth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Cycle After Experience
May 16th, 2013 at 4:01pm

Hi All,
This is my first post here.

I was diagnosed with cluster headaches about 2 years ago, at age 30.  With the first diagnosis, I was given preventative medication that worked well enough for 2 years. 
However, on my last cycle, it didn’t work at all ~ not even a little bit even though I desperately (and perhaps recklessly) doubled and then tripled the dosage. After 8 weeks (and several ineffective medications later ~ I asked for oxygen because I had read about it but was not given it) the cycle seems to have ended.

However, I have had persistent shadows for weeks now. No actual headaches, but I am not use to having these shadows for weeks after.

But my large concern is when I woke up today; I had a slight searing pain on the right side of my head, from the temple to the jaw bone ~ my clusters are always on the left side. The pain has slowly but steadily gotten worse throughout the day, but is far from intolerable. The pain has been constant, instead of come and go like the shadows that I am still getting on my left side. I know what shadows feel like, but this is new.
Any one experience anything like this?
Thank you.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: New Cycle After Experience
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Switching sides is not unusual, it's never happened to me but many on the board have posted it happened to them.

That being said, always touch base with your doc when any symptom changes this dramatically. There is always the risk of blaming every symptom you have on CH and missing something more sinister that should be checked out. Infitismally small odds of course, but always better to have them's that knows confirm it's just another morph of the beast.

If you have not tried this already, follow this link to the medications section of this board and read the post 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It’s a vitamin/mineral/fish oil supplement, all over the counter stuff. It’s up to an 81% success rate of those who try it and respond to the survey so you’re just shooting yourself in the foot if you don’t give it a shot. I’m 3 years pain free on it after a 35 plus year track record with episodic CH. Best of all, it’s healthy for you even without CH!

As of January 20, 2013, the compiled raw data indicates an efficacy of 80%. 240 out of the 300 CH'ers who have started this regimen and stayed on it for a month or more have experienced a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH... 78% of the 300 CH'ers experienced a pain free response and 60% of the 300 have remained essentially pain free. Episodic and chronic CH'ers respond to this regimen at roughly the same rate.

Preliminary survey results indicate most of these CH'ers were pain free before the end of the third week with some responding in a little as 12 to 24 hours. The average time to respond is five days

Glad you found us, hoping you can catch some pain free time soon.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2013 at 8:47pm

Are you seeing a doc who is skilled with headache?

You don't mention the meds you are using. If they are not some of the "standards" for Cluster, you're results may not be a surprise. (See PDF file, below.)

If you are using standard Cluster meds and no results with such sig. dose increases, need to ask your doc to consider that you may not have Cluster. You type of response raises this question.

Print and drop on your doc:

Link to: cluster-LIKE headache.
Section, "Medications, Treatments, Therapies --> "Important Topics" --> "Cluster-LIKE headache"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2013 at 8:01pm

Hi Elizabeth

I agree with what Joe and Bob have posted.

CH can change with some people having sides switch or even the position on one side change. I know it freaked me out the first time that happened as it took me out of my comfort zone. Similarly it isn't unusual to find what worked one cycle doesn't work as well the next.

However any time there is a significant change it is always best to seek expert advice. It is probably nothing, but well worth validating that.

IP Logged

Vinnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2013 at 10:28pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I've had a similar experience, where after my cycle ended on 15 Feb, the shadows have continued (with rising and falling severity and frequency) up to and including now. Mother's day (in US) seemed to have been a grand finale of sorts (again, no actual cluster beast, but very strong shadows). They are now far less frequent. And - on my first busting attempt (it was crappy, old LSD) I got a weak version of the beast on the right side of my head for the first time.

The shadows are generally on both sides, but never at the same time. (I have been 'formally diagnosed' by two neuros as having CH).

I am taking rivea corymbosa seeds on a weekly basis, slowly upping the dosage every week. This message board is not used to endorse this approach, but I figure I need to try something. (My Relpax landed me in the ER.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!