Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are there cases of complete remission? (Read 1979 times)
Coho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Are there cases of complete remission?
May 10th, 2013 at 7:05pm

Seems everyone here has reoccuring or chronic. Any one time attacks and then never again? I'm curious. Been out of work 2 weeks and hoping for good news. Lol. I started taking my vitamin D again. I was told it was low years ago. Already take costco mature and Omega 3.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Are there cases of complete remission?
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:12pm

Yes. Some have just stopped in their 30's 40's or 50's. Dr. Goadsby says they never really go away...just extended remissions! On the other hand there are people in their 70's on this board still getting hit.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:58pm

You can't have a single CH, otherwise it does not meet the diagnostic criteria for CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Diagnostic criteria:

At least 5 attacks fulfilling criteria B-D
    Severe or very severe unilateral orbital, supraorbital and/or temporal pain lasting 15-180 minutes if untreated1
    Headache is accompanied by at least one of the following:
        ipsilateral conjunctival injection and/or lacrimation
        ipsilateral nasal congestion and/or rhinorrhoea
        ipsilateral eyelid oedema
        ipsilateral forehead and facial sweating
        ipsilateral miosis and/or ptosis
        a sense of restlessness or agitation
    Attacks have a frequency from one every other day to 8 per day2
    Not attributed to another disorder3

IP Logged

Coho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2013 at 12:34am

I meant as in a cluster.. Starting my 3rd week. Smiley

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2013 at 10:43am

I wouldn't be sitting around waiting for it to happen.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2013 at 10:50am

IF you have true Cluster: I've never seen any studies dealing with this question; ditto for aging out. (There is a general agreement that they taper down from around 60 onward--but noting hard and fast.)

If, however, you have a Cluster-LIKE condition
(Link to: cluster-LIKE headache.
Section, "Medications, Treatments, Therapies --> "Important Topics" --> "Cluster-LIKE headache")

AND the underlying condition is resolved, then the pseudo-Cluster attacks would stop [I assume!]).

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2013 at 6:02pm

Hi Coho,
My cycles are always left sided, every other year, on odd years, beginning in the Fall, average 12 week durations.

After a head injury/coma in 2006, I did go through a 6 year remission, until they returned like clock work Fall 2011.  I strongly believe there was a correlation between my coma and my remission.  I've been suffering since I was 11 or 12 years old, so at 44 years old now; I am very grateful for my 6 year remission despite the long term effects the impact of my coma still has on me today.

Anticipating a return cycle in a few months, Fall 2013, yesterday I began the anti-inflammatory vitamin regimen as a precaution and for overall better health.

To be considered Episodic (ECH'er) one will be fortunate to have remissions.  Opposed to Chronic (CCH'er) has no more than two weeks per year, if that, of any such remission time.

There is no common term we use called a "complete remission"; which would technically be called the beast has left the house aka no more CH's; hence the most stable part of a CH'ers life. 

Many have reported that as they age older, their CH's have:
1. reduced in frequency,
2. reduced in pain intensity,
3. reduced in cycle duration and
4. reduced in frequency of cycles.

Some have reported in older age that they just miraculously stopped.  There are studies you may find on this site showing how age correlates with cycles.

The best advice I can offer anybody fortunate to be in remission is the same advice offered to those who are in cycle...live between the cycles/live between the hits. 

In other words, everyday is a blessing and make the most out of it as there are no guarantees on tomorrow!  Try to be as productive as possible making most use of precious and limited time.

Hope this helps you and others understand a bit more clarification about the subject on remissions.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Coho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2013 at 6:39pm

Thank you. I'm a chief radiology tech for a clinic system and can't function as is. Hope I get a quiet period. I now see how this is a family game changer.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - May 13th, 2013 at 7:35am

Coho wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 7:05pm:
Seems everyone here has reoccuring or chronic. Any one time attacks and then never again? I'm curious. Been out of work 2 weeks and hoping for good news. Lol. I started taking my vitamin D again. I was told it was low years ago. Already take costco mature and Omega 3.

I just read through your posts again. You seem to have made a good start on preventatives, and a start of some sort with O2 as an abortive (BTW, how are you using the O2?). But you don't mention any other abortives, like Imitrex injections or Migranal (a DHE type of spray) which can increase your confidence. Confidence that we can handle a hit if it comes our way goes a long way in helping us live life despite the beast's rude interruption. Same goes for being at work. Take away the fear that we will be permanently disabled and we can work/live in between attacks. How are you making out on the abortive front? blessings. lance

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2013 at 8:01am

I am a clusterhead of over twenty five yrs, and a few yrs ago my father started having headaches that sounded and acted very much like clusters.  Waking him up, one sided, very painful, occuring same time , etc.  Well this went on for a few weeks and then went away and hasnt come back since.  Very strange,  maybe a one time occurence .

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:57am

You realize that "complete remission" cannot be measured until after someone is dead, right?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2013 at 1:19pm

Brew wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 9:57am:
You realize that "complete remission" cannot be measured until after someone is dead, right?

I was about to buy some comedy show tickets as I haven't had a real good laugh in a while, but you just saved me a small fortune, thanks Brew! 

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!