Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 -- another view (Read 1077 times)
Klustr Hedh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Monica
O2 -- another view
Apr 3rd, 2013 at 2:50am

I've used O2 for a dozen years on 3 HA a night. I have an entirely different experience with O2 than reported in the survey, particularly in regard to the conclusions on lower lpm flows and CO2. I use an E tank with an ordinary regulator that goes to 8 lpm and I use a conventional plastic mask like the paramedics use. For me, no matter how intense the HA, the O2 wipes it out in 4 to 11 minutes, the only exception being if even the slightest amount of alcohol was in my system. Often I supplement with 1 or 2 large frozen Ace gel pads on my head or face. Air and water -- two wonder drugs that can abort the world's most painful headache in less than 4 minutes! I thank my good fortune for this great response from oxygen, but I'll bet that I'm not the only one. This is how I've aborted thousands of CH over a period of 14 years.

I urge anyone to get a digital kitchen timer and set it at the time you think you need to abort your headache. The alarm keeps you from falling asleep and sucking down the whole tank, and also times your oxygen use.

I've also found it very difficult to get either my tanks refilled or renting more tanks on the road. In Utah the prescription had to be no older than 45 days, and there were other hoops to jump through. My advice is to bring your own. What I found is you can stow ten E tanks in the forward part of a Honda Accord trunk and still have plenty of room!

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: O2 -- another view
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:29am

I always aborted attacks in less than 10 minutes at 7 lpm.  I do use a nonrebreather mask though (I like to squeeze the bag with my hand while I inhale ((shut up Hub)).

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 8:20am

As you point out, KH, we are different in the way we respond to all interventions. Having said that, for me, the lower flow rates (under 15lpm) were helpful but it wasn't until I used a 25lpm flow rate that I discovered my abort times shortened to under 5 minutes. Ice or anything cold anywhere near my face immediately triggered a much deeper hit. Using Monster plus O2 though did the trick. We're different, that's why share our experiences here. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 9:18am

I know Jimi used a relatively low flow for many years and was also succesful at aborting his attacks. It's something worth experimenting with. As with most EVERYTHING  in the world of CH, "one size fits all" is damned hard to come by! Glad it's worked so well for you.

JOe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 10:53pm

I can abort using 15lpm and a non-rebreather mask in about 12 minutes. However swapping to a 25lpm regulator drops it to under 5 minutes, which adds up to a whole lot of pain.

Just because you get success at a lower flow rate doesn't mean that you won't benefit even more from a higher flow rate.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 12:46pm

I've used O2 only for the past two cycles. During the first 8-10 lpm was enough and during the second I used 12-15 lpm which was not always enough.

Alcohol induced CH attack is always harder to abort, the same with chemical triggers, such as solvents.

Fell a sleep once with the O2. Made my attacks really terrible for a few days.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!