Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alcohol, SSRIs, anxiolytics, and CH (Read 2640 times)
Vinnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Alcohol, SSRIs, anxiolytics, and CH
Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:43pm

I abused alcohol heavily from about age 21 till 28 where I abruptly stopped (the only way!). During most of that chaos, I was ALSO taking an SSRI (Lexapro) during part of it, an anxiolytic called Klonopin. I was also a heavy smoker.

I know alcohol and smoking are big triggers, and I know serotonin plays into the CH phenomenon as well. I just can't help but think these variables pushed me into clusterhell. I quit drinking in August 2011 and quit smoking 6 mos ago. Got my first proper cluster attack January 21st. Any thoughts?

I know...I know... laymen reasoning about a very complex topic...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Alcohol, SSRIs, anxiolytics, and CH
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 3:05pm

It's not a bad thing to keep an eye out for cause and effect. Just don't waste too much time on it! I never smoked, no head trauma, but in my late teens started getting these horrible headaches. I'm 53 and still haven't figured out what starts a cycle, and what ends them!

Having said that, since starting the "batch regimen" 3 years ago, I've been cycle free, headache free. With over 80% of the peple who try it finding relief, many like me finding complete relief, I'd think it would be inviting pain to not give it a look see and a try!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Vinnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:33pm

Hey Joe. I'm giving the D3 regimen a go. I'd already been leaving the cycle when I started it (last official >5 CH was Feb 15, but started the regimen 8 days ago). Nonetheless I have had shadows - some strong, some weak - over the past 2 weeks. Yesterday I had almost none and today it almost felt like a full-on cluster was starting - until all the nonsense stopped two hours ago. Also got blood results back today. D3 was in fact low, at 21.5 ng/ml (tested 5 days ago). Going back to the GP to tell him about the regimen and seek another blood test.

IP Logged

ndhillst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 7:12pm

Interestingly, I've done my fair share of heavy drinking throughout my 52 years.  Early last year I just stopped - I couldn't deal with the hangovers anymore (not CH, just typical horrible hangovers).  Last year is also when my CH started.  Despite that, I'm still very happy I quit drinking - now I can afford all the new meds I have to take for CH!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 7:31pm

Despite that, I'm still very happy I quit drinking - now I can afford all the new meds I have to take for CH!

If nothing else clusterheads are the epitomy of optimism!!! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:21pm

I second Joe!

It always amazes me to read how people manage to fight on despite what we all know is the worst pain imaginable. Great group of folks, makes me proud.

David

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:59pm

I had my first CH at the age of 11, years before I started drinking and smoking. I haven't had a drink for some 3 years now and two years ago I starting rolling tobacco which reduced the amount of my smoking to about 25%, with no noticeable change.

Keep in mind that nicotine is a vasoconstrictor (which might be an explanation as to why CHers tend to smoke in the first place). So quitting may be good for your health but doesn't necessarily be good for your CH.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:48am

Quote:
(which might be an explanation as to why CHers tend to smoke in the first place)

Perfect spot for my theory - the same defect in our brains which causes clusters also causes us to have addictive personalities.  That's why clusterheads smoke more, drink more, gamble more and hang around websites more than the general population.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!