Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I can't get past REM (Read 7046 times)
Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
I can't get past REM
Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:46am

Its been a long time, hope everyone is well. I need some help, some strange things for me at least have been happening.
I am getting hit every single time I reach REM. meaning I am getting hit every 45 minutes to an hour. I stopped trexing because I thought I was rebounding, so its been all aborted with o2. I used 2000psi in my E tank last night alone. I did use trex at 7am this morning, because I need to get my o2 tanks filled today, I am empty.
Has anyone had this issue? Any thoughts on how to get past this? I need some sleep LOL.

Cheers,

Sean..........

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: I can't get past REM
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:27am

G'day Sean, and nice to know you're still kicking. As to the night hits, many people have had good results from an OTC product called melatonin. A quick search around the boards may yield good results.

An alternative which I mention, but don't reccommend, is lying down to sleep and setting your alarm to ring an hour later. It means you never actually reach REM but if you keep doing it you'll go mad.

You may also consider sleeping upright in a comfortable chair or propped up with lots of pillows on the sofa.

Those night hits are a killer and I hate 'em. Get you when you're most vulnerable.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:41am

Consider doing sleep studies and see if apnea is a factor.
=========
orofac pain. 2011 fall;25(4):291-7.
topical review: cluster headache and sleep-related breathing disorders.
bender sd.
abstract
this article reviews the existing literature of the common anatomic and physiologic aspects of cluster headache and sleep-related breathing disorders to point out evidence suggesting potential therapies beneficial for both maladies. a search of pubmed, as well as relevant textbooks, was conducted using the terms cluster, headache, sleep, apnea, pain, and chronobiology to find any previously published work that may connect the two disorders. relevant references in the literature were also investigated. as a group, cluster headache patients tend to have a higher incidence of sleep-related breathing disorders as compared to the noncluster headache population.

WHILE COMMONALITIES IN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY EXIST, ROBUST EVIDENCE LINKING THE TWO DISORDERS IS CURRENTLY LACKING. MANY PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY SUFFER WITH A SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER. THE HIGH INCIDENCE OF THESE TWO DISORDERS OCCURRING TOGETHER SHOULD PROMPT THE CLINICIAN WHO TREATS CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS TO BE ACUTELY AWARE THAT A YET UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP DISORDER MAY ALSO BE PRESENT.
pmid:22247924[pubmed]
================================================================================
=============================================================
Cephalalgia. 2012 Apr;32(6):481-91.
Cluster headache and sleep, is there a connection? A review.
Barloese M, Jennum P, Knudsen S, Jensen R.
SourceDanish Headache Center, Denmark.

Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Sleep and the chronobiological disease cluster headache are believed to be interconnected. Despite efforts, the precise nature of the relationship remains obscured. A better understanding of this relation may lead to more effective therapeutic regimes for patients suffering from this debilitating disease. This review aims to evaluate the existing literature on the subject of cluster headache and sleep. LATEST

FINDINGS: Several previous studies describe an association between episodic cluster headache and distinct macrostructural sleep phases. This association was not confirmed in a recent study of seven episodic cluster headache patients, but it was suggested that further studies into the correlation between cluster headache attacks and the microstructure of sleep are relevant. The connection between cluster headache and the hypocretins is currently under investigation.

SUMMARY: There is evidence in favour of an association between episodic cluster headache and REM sleep whereas no such relation to chronic cluster headache has been reported. Particular features in the microstructure of sleep and arousal mechanisms could play a role in the pathogenesis of cluster headache. Reports indicate that cluster headache and obstructive sleep apnoea are associated. Single cases show improvement upon treatment of sleep apnoea, but the causal relationship remains in question.

PMID:22407656[PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:42am

Nice to see you too my brother. I'm a little afraid to do the melatonin, or Zquil at this point. I don't want to wake up to a kip 8. The reason I posted is because I have never in 33 years had a cycle like this. I am at this point, 2 weeks into it, having maybe 20 hits a day?? I would have to say at least 15 alone last night, say over 12 hours. All but one were aborted with o2. I'll keep a log today and tonight, its getting ugly already, i'm getting too old for this crap  Smiley

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:50am

Hey Sean, my cycle for many years included REM hits. I could count on 11PM, 1AM, 4AM and 7AM. Nothing actually helped except to abort as soon as I was awakened with O2. Sorry I don't have better news to share, but I did get better at resting in between hits. Melatonin and other sleep aids only served to put me deeper into the attack before I woke up. Prayin' for ya. lance

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:02am

Thanks Bob and Lance. I'm sure I have Apnea, not sure if its causing this abundace of attacks, but it might be. Its worth a look.

Lance I live in Plymouth, where are you?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:16am

Have you explored the D-3 therapy yet Sean? It's the greatest thing around here since oxygen.

Follow this link  to the medications section of this board and read the post  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It’s a vitamin/mineral/fish oil supplement, all over the counter stuff, that’s providing a lot of relief for people who have tried it, it’s healthy for you even without CH. It's had me off cycle coming up on 3 years.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:32am

Sean C wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:02am:
Thanks Bob and Lance. I'm sure I have Apnea, not sure if its causing this abundace of attacks, but it might be. Its worth a look.

Lance I live in Plymouth, where are you?

I live in Attleboro, just down the road. I've been going to Dr Rizzoli at Tufts, he's the head of the Graham Headache Institute. Good guy, very aggressive, no bedside manner until you get to know him. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:50am

Hi Joe, been reading about that, am definately going to give it a go  Smiley

Lance I go to the Graham as well, very educated staff there, can't say enough good things.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:00pm

Sean, a bottle of Melatonin costs about 5 or 6 bucks.  You're already getting hit so many times each night..why don't you at least give it a try for a few nights.  It might just work and it would seem even if it doesn't, you wouldn't be any worse off than you are right now.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 3:17pm

Sean C wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:42am:
Nice to see you too my brother. I'm a little afraid to do the melatonin, or Zquil at this point. I don't want to wake up to a kip 8. The reason I posted is because I have never in 33 years had a cycle like this. I am at this point, 2 weeks into it, having maybe 20 hits a day?? I would have to say at least 15 alone last night, say over 12 hours. All but one were aborted with o2. I'll keep a log today and tonight, its getting ugly already, i'm getting too old for this crap  Smiley

You might be getting "comebackers" from the O2.  What flow rate are you using?

I've found several steps help me avoid the "comebackers."

1.  Use no less than 15 LPM, but more is better.

2.  Make sure your non-rebreathing mask is sealing against your face well.  To do this, put it over your face without the oxygen on an breath in.  If you don't feel substantial resistance, you may need a new type of mask.

3.  Chug an energy drink just before starting the O2.

4.  Make sure to stay on the O2 for at a minimum 10 minutes after the pain has completely subsided.  THIS ONE IS HUGE.  Doing this alone almost entirely avoids the comebackers for me.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2013 at 3:19pm by djphrenzy »  

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 3:58pm

Hi Dj, I use a "clustermasx" not sure if you can even get one anymore. Its an awesome mask. I have a regulator that I made for an E tank that gives me up to 60 psi if I needed it, but 15 is plenty, the clustermasx has a HUGE bag, it never empties. I never have an issue with aborting a hit under a 6 fairly quickly, say less than 10 minutes, anything above that takes about 20. I will give it the extra ten minutes tonight for sure, thank for the imput my brother.

Linda my love, I absolutely will give it a try, also bought all the D3 and Fish oil stuff today, I am going to take it after dinner.  Smiley

I've had 4 hits since 7am, I am really being careful of what I eat and drink also, I want to rule out diet, last night I had MSG FREE Chinese food, was hoping they made a mistake.

Cheers

Sean..............

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:10pm

No problem, man, hopefully that helps.  This is my first cycle that I've had oxygen available, and it's been a life saver... but when I first got it, I was getting hit every 40 minutes.... which is WAAAY more than normal for me.  I almost gave up, but I decided to give it one last go, and I stayed on the Oxygen for like 20 minutes after the pain subsided, really just because I was being spiteful.  On that one I didn't get re-hit.

So then from that point forward, I worked it down to 10 minutes after I reach no pain and that is sufficient for me.  You may need to adjust the time a little.  This caused me to come up with a theory...

My interpretation is that, during an attack there is a period with no pain, but there is some sort of physiological activation happening... Like a migraine aura, only with no symptoms.

After x amount of time in the aura phase, you cross a threshold where pain is present and escalates to a climax.  This climax lasts for X duration (for me 40 minutes, usually)... then subsides.  You again cross the threshold into no pain, but there is still a duration of a painless postdrome.

My theory is that the Oxygen expedites this process, but you must ride out the painless postdrome while continuing the Oxygen in order to fully abort the attack.  Otherwise, the attack will re-escalate.

Just my theory.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:15pm by djphrenzy »  

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:49am

Thanks Dj, I did add 10 minutes everytime, not sure if it has helped or not, but I'm going to keep doing it. I had 15 hits in a 24 hour period. Lets see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Last night I started the D3, today I'm not going to smoke at all (hopefully forever), hopefully that will knock off a few attacks. Still being careful with the diet, am also going to try to double my water intake, just curious if I might be a little dehidrated.

Cheers,

Sean.............

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:14am

Last night I started the D3, today I'm not going to smoke at all (hopefully forever), hopefully that will knock off a few attacks. Still being careful with the diet, am also going to try to double my water intake, just curious if I might be a little dehidrated.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me Sean. Coming up on my 3rd year cycle free after over 30 years with Mr. Beasty. Crossing the fingers for ya.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Sean C
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Earth
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:24am

I hope so too Joe, I've been pain free for 3 1/2 hours, that might not seem like much, but its a win for me  Smiley will keep you posted, staying positive   Smiley

Smiley

IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:05pm

All my cycles are usually like that; I don't get many attacks while awake. I can't take anything that will take me into too deep a sleep, because as someone has mentioned, the attack has more time to progress before I wake up. What helped me the most is staying on the O2 longer, at least 10 minutes after all symptoms have gone (often more). I also have the Optimask, which was a MAJOR help.
I would be interested to know how the D3 works out...
Good luck,

IP Logged

darkwalker
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Denton|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 9:48pm

Sean C wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:42am:

Holy crap! 15 a night? The most I've ever had was the other night 1am, 3am, 6am. Each one lasted an hour (truncated by the slamming of a Mountain Dew).

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 11:51pm

I had a similar cycle several years ago before going chronic.  Found I had to sleep upright in a LazyBoy.  Didn't sleep all that well, but better than getting up every 45 mins. 

I would echo Joe's suggestion on the D3.  It works for a lot of people.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is another alternative.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!