Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gluten and Cluster? (Read 1953 times)
idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Gluten and Cluster?
Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:07am

I recently talked to a friend who thought Gluten might the cause.
any studies on this?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Gluten and Cluster?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:47am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Searched the archives, went back a couple of years, other then a few "one and done" posters it doesn't appear anyone has had success with stopping their CH by going gluten free.

I know if you're one of those small percentages who are gluten intolerant, it can have an incredibly beneficial affect on your quality of life if you go gluten free.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

CaitieV
CH.com Newbie

Washington, DC
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:25pm

Ha, by weird coincidence, I only started getting clusters after about 6 months of being gluten-free...so I don't think so. However, I am not unconvinced that there isn't a thyroid/metabolic something-or-other link.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:53pm

I showed this too her and she goes "gluten can cause imflamation"
response?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:14am

Gluten allergies are the newest and latest next big discovery in the universal search for health purity...it either causes global warming, or is caused by global warming. Seriously, my daughter is gluten intolerant as is my granddaughter, and becoming gluten free has helped their digestive system a lot. Headaches? Not so much. lance

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:56am

I am wheat intolerant, so I don't eat gluten and am PF, but I don't think it's due to being just gluten free.  I think that being gluten free helps to make your body more hospitable to meds or alternatives working (like busting, which is what I do [rc seeds]).
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:57am by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 10:03am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 5:04pm

isn't William Davis discredited because of his book which was found to be psuedo science?

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:25am

idorko wrote on Feb 17th, 2013 at 5:04pm:
isn't William Davis discredited because of his book which was found to be psuedo science?

Like everybody else, he's got some good ideas and some bad ones.  I've seen a couple people writing about how he has sensationalized some of his facts, but all the science behind what he has been saying has checked out from my research.    He's human, I'm sure he does not have it 100% correct. 

The easy way to understand what he's saying has been done with Modern wheat is this--We have done the same thing with wheat that we have done with beets.  Regular beets are one of the most nutritious foods out there.  After we bred them over and over again to be sugar beets, we are left with Domino sugar.  Not exactly nutritional, more like a poison.

Here's a link from PubMed and has nothing to do with Davis.

"All patients with and without CD on GFD who were challenged with the gliadin solution produced IL15 when compared with the basal culture (fig 1A​1A).). Moreover, the IL15‐mediated response in patients without CD was also triggered by the toxic 19‐mer gliadin peptide (three of six) and, especially, by the 33‐mer gliadin peptide (five of six). Importantly, none of the basal cultures produced this cytokine and, although not expected, the “non‐toxic” immunodominant 33‐mer was also able to induce an innate response"

The important thing to take out of this is that "All patients with and without CD on GFD who were challenged with the gliadin solution produced IL15 when compared with the basal culture" 

According to this study, That means that whether or not you consider yourself "allergic" to gluten, you are most likely producing IL-15 when your guts come into contact with it.

So what is IL-15?

"Interleukin (IL)-15 is a dangerous inflammatory cytokine that induces tumor-necrosis factor-α, IL-1β and
inflammatory chemokines. It inhibits self-tolerance mediated by IL-2 mediated activation-induced cell death and facilitates maintenance of CD8+ memory T-cell survival including that of self-directed memory cells. Disordered IL-15 expression has been reported in patients with an array of inflammatory autoimmune diseases."

I would guess that this is what your friend is talking about when she said mentioned the gluten inflammation link, Idorko.

More on IL-15 here-

The real important thing to remember--You can have serious toxic reactions going on from wheat and gluten and have no idea.  I went 24 years, absolutely no symptoms at all.  Then one day I started having grand mal seizures.  This went on, with them getting worse and worse until I changed my diet and they have been gone for almost 8 years now.  I literally almost died more than once, and it was one of the few things in my life that have made clusters seem not so bad in comparison.

I have seen my incurable epilepsy go away, along with other peoples scleroderma, schizophrenia, skin problems, gut problems, high blood pressure, thyroid problems....the list goes on and on.  I don't think they helped my clusters much, but then again my brain was such a mess and the seizures messed with my memory so much that I don't really remember that time in my life too well.  I was definitely getting hit hard at the time (every time I had a seizure I ended up with at least a kip 9) but I was not keeping track of them very well. 

My advice to everyone, always----try it.  Go without any gluten or wheat for a month and see how you feel, you might just be getting poisoned and not realize it.  What's the worse that's going to happen?  No ho-ho's for a month?

For the record, I still eat damn close to anything I want.  If people want some help with substitutions or recipes, my wife has gotten it down where I really don't miss it at all.  She's never made a Ho-Ho, but I bet if somebody really wanted one she could.  Smiley

-Ricardo

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:44am

I have Celiac and have been gluten free for 14 years. I also have gout and have been "trying" to eat a low purine diet for some time now. I'm doubting a GF diet helps the HA, but I think you should try any simple dietary strategy. I think the low purine diet helped for a time, and when I ate higher purine foods, I noticed an increase in hits. Not that it always caused me to avoid red wine and aged meat and cheese. And yes, gluten does cause inflammation in the tissues, and elite athletes have been trying this method. Since the 1960's we have been eating a new version of wheat, which also contaminates other crops due to cross breeding and growing on same fields, and our bodies can't handle the new strain (it's dwarf wheat, for anyone who wants to look it up).

Lots of good info if you google it.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!