Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
energy drink (Read 5458 times)
the student
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

energy drink
Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:17pm

please can someone tell me why energy drinks seem to work?
megan

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: energy drink
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:01pm

Combination of caffeine and taurine. Good vasoconstrictor.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:17am

Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and taurine is a calcium channel antagonist (just like verapamil).

Since they are fizzy, this will probably help with the absorbtion. And the sugar probably also helps as an energy boost since a CH can take a bit out of you.

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:47pm

I prefer Monster Khaos.  Any drink with Caffeine and Taurine will do, though.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 7:22am

I hate how all energy drinks taste but anything with 2000mg + of taurine and a load of caffeine will help.

They usually take me around five minutes to help.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 1:34pm

I'm still not really sure what they taste of as I've only ever had them when my head is making me concentrate on the pain rather than the taste plus drinking it as fast as I can really doesn't leave any time to savour it.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 5:06pm

I usually pound them when my face starts hurting if I don't have lidocane or oxygen so I can still taste them somewhat.
I also remember what redbull tastes like from a bad day at summer camp a few years ago.

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:09pm

I really like the taste of Monster Energy Rehab Orangeaid, much better tasting for me than the others and it is non carbonated so easier to get down...

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:25pm

I prefer 5hr Energy because they are small shots I can get down in a swallow or two by pouring them into the back of my mouth so I don't have to taste much.  I can also carry one in my pocket so I have one with me when out and about.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

darkwalker
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Denton|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:21pm

If you don't mind taste (and during an attack, who cares about TASTE?) I've found these. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

They taste like bleach smells, but there's no sugar and nothing in it that is "bad" for you. I have hypoglycemia, so sugar from Mountain Dew and energy drinks was really doing nothing but making me tired and screwing up my insides. And sodas and energy drinks are bad for your teeth. That fake sugar stuff probably ain't good for you either.  Grin

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 3:18pm

darkwalker wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:21pm:
They taste like bleach smells

Well that just sounds unpleasant.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 9:43pm

Quote:
And sodas and energy drinks are bad for your teeth.

No disrespect intended, but that's about the furthest thing from my mind when trying to abort.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

slpierce1988
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:33pm

Brew wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 9:43pm:
Quote:
And sodas and energy drinks are bad for your teeth.

No disrespect intended, but that's about the furthest thing from my mind when trying to abort.

Really? It's a huge concern of mine. That's why I always add some of that fluoride that dentists make children swish around to my energy drinks. After all, every pamphlet I've ever read at my dental office says the way to a healthy body and mind is through a healthy mouth!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:28pm

slpierce1988 wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:33pm:
Really? It's a huge concern of mine. That's why I always add some of that fluoride that dentists make children swish around to my energy drinks. After all, every pamphlet I've ever read at my dental office says the way to a healthy body and mind is through a healthy mouth!

Please tell me you're merely jerking my chain.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:36am

I had good luck with 5 Hour Energy drink. I found that Costco has Kirkland Energy drinks at a much lower price. It's made by the same company that makes 5 Hour Energy. Also you can get it in bulk, 48 2oz bottles. I use only 1 oz each attack and it usually works in about 6 minutes. Nasty taste but a rince with water and the taste is gone.

Quote:
I always add some of that fluoride

You've got to be kidding! That would not be good at all.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

slpierce1988
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:39pm

Brew wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:28pm:
slpierce1988 wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:33pm:

Please tell me you're merely jerking my chain.

I'm merely jerking your chain.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:03pm

Most of the time I can tell.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #17 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:11pm

Little is known about what causes CH or what Taurine actually does, but it's known to affect the hypothalamus which plays a part in CH + it changes how certain minerals (sodium, magnesium, calcium) move in and out of body cells. It is also beneficial for other neural conditions.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 4:09pm

I recall a post a while back about dissolving strips with caffeine/taurine available at ? GNC. Anyone know more about that?

IP Logged

Joel1955
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Virginia, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 8:16am

I just recovered from the worst attack of my life last night and I suspect the energy drink contributed to the problem.  I've suffered from ECH for over 20 years and I am on Verapamil, which is a calcium channel blocker(CCBs), to mitigate and control the attacks.  I now have read in a number of web sites (Mayo Clinic and Web MD) among them that caffeine reduces or nullifies the effect of CCBs.  When I felt the headache coming on last night, I drank some "Rock Star" and the attack came on full force.  Nothing worked after that.  Did my Imitrex inhaler and it didn't even slow it down.  Since there is no clinical study of Energy Drinks, it is entirely possible that they either A) do nothing for you or B) exacerbate the problem.  The science suggests that it is B, from what I have found.  If you are feeling better after drinking them, it is also possible that it is something else entirely that is giving you the relief.  With no systematic, clinical study, there is no way to know.  I know that I will be much more careful implementing some of these home remedies I hear of on this site and others as a result of last night.  I never want a headache like that again...

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 8:22am

Quote:
With no systematic, clinical study, there is no way to know.  I know that I will be much more careful implementing some of these home remedies I hear of on this site and others as a result of last night.  I never want a headache like that again...

...and yet, my experience and the experience of many, many others on this site is quite the opposite. When I chug a double Monster at the first sign of a full on hit, and then huff the high flow O2, not only is the abort faster, it works to prevent the next hit from coming. Your mileage may vary.

And it's always good to be cautious with OTC remedies. They are meds even if not regulated by the FDC. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!