Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster: First historical description ?? (Read 2857 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Cluster: First historical description ??
Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:38pm

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007 November; 78(11): 1248–1249.
Gerardi van Swieten: descriptions of episodic cluster headache
J M S Pearce

Cluster headache
In 1745, Gerhard van Swieten published, in Latin, a five volume commentary on the writings of Boerhaave1 that influenced medical practice throughout Europe. It contains the following account, CONSIDERED BY ISLER TO BE THE FIRST DESCRIPTION KNOWN TO DATE OF EPISODIC CLUSTER HEADACHE:

“A healthy, robust man of middle age was, each day, at the same hour troubled by pain above the orbit of the left eye, where the nerve leaves through the bony frontal opening; after a short time the left eye began to redden and tears to flow; then he felt as if his eye was protruding from its orbit with so much pain that he became mad. After a few hours all this evil ceased and nothing in the eye appeared at all changed.

I ordered blood to be let, gave antiphlogistic purgatives, I frequently applied cupping to the neck, vesicant adhesives etc but all in vain. But in order to understand this miraculous illness, I went to him at the time when he knew the pain would return, and I saw all the symptoms he remembered; in the carpal pulse however I found nothing changed. The patient reminded me, whilst I sat with him, that in the medial canthus of the eye he felt a large pulsation: I applied the apex of my little finger to the artery, which goes around the medial canthus of the eye, then with the other hand explored the carpal pulse; and thus I manifestly perceived how the artery in the canthus of the eye was pulsing more rapidly, and strongly than it naturally does.

I therefore believed that there was a fever, but a topical one; and I gave Peruvian bark and with luck cured it; and from this case I later learned to use similar remedies.”

Van Swieten referred to the effects of Peruvian bark on the previous page:

“The Peruvian bark which has so much use in strengthening the nervous system and in realigning the disordered moving spirits, overwhelms any species of intermittent fever without making any evident evacuations…”

Van Swieten published other neurological works including the idea that embolism arising in the heart and great vessels could occlude the arteries of the brain and cause a stroke.7
--------
Gerardi (aka Gerhard) van Swieten (1700–1772)
In the centre of Vienna, the huge Maria Theresien monument towers between the history of art and the natural history museums. The robed figure of van Swieten stands out. Van Swieten8,9 was a student of Herman Boerhaave (1668–1738) in Leiden. Boerhaave, a true intellectual giant, had adopted the clinically founded teachings of Willis and Sydenham and spent his life at Leiden, serving as professor both of botany and medicine.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Re: Cluster: First historical description ??
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 6:00pm

Very interesting. Thanks Bob.

Quote:
miraculous illness
It is indeed.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Slim
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bethlehem, PA
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:33pm

This is fascinating.  Thank you for sharing this.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:46pm

Good one, Bob. I've long wondered how CHeads have got on through the ages, particularly during the great Catholic Inquisitions where they were likely tortured to death for failing to renounce the devil within.

Imagine, a Kip10 in the iron maiden or while being burned at the stake.

Watching a documentary some years back and the commentary was roughly, "These ancient people kept only the skulls of the dead and stored them all here. Oddly, about one in a thousand has this big hole drilled in the temple on one side only, obviously done many, many years before death occurred."

I called to the television, "Pick me, Sir, pick me. I know the answer!"

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:34pm

That's a great find Bob!  Now, where can I purchase or otherwise obtain said Peruvian bark with a little luck???

Aussie - trepanation is still performed around the world - I believe there was an article a few years back regarding a gentleman in Mexico who underwent trepanation to try and cure his clusters.  I'll have to see if I still have the article.

I wouldn't recommend it though - I still think the best path for the beer to go to your head is through the mouth and stomach  Tongue

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Here you go, Cat

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
     Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also I never heared that Quinine is used agaist cluster, you may be the first reporting sccess Smiley

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

IP Logged

iammelissa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 4:06pm

Thanks Bob,
  Not a funny subject, however when ever I hear about blood
letting....  Some where back there hiding behind my 3 year long chronic cluster headache, I feel a moment of wanting to laugh.  And think really how far have we come in the medical world???? Cheesy

“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation”
― Terence McKenna

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:06pm

Quote:
I ordered blood to be let,

Yes, thank God they don't do THAT anymore.   Roll Eyes

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 1:11pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:06pm:
Quote:
I ordered blood to be let,

Yes, thank God they don't do THAT anymore.   Roll Eyes

However if it cured CHs there would be a queue out the door to have it done.

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:45am

Quote:
... In the beginning of the summer season, [he] was afflicted with a very severe headache, occurring and disappearing daily on fixed hours, with such intensity that he often assured me that he could not bear the pain anymore or he would succumb shortly. For rarely it lasted longer than two hours. And the rest of the day there was no fever, not indisposition of the urine, no any infirmity of the pulse. But this recurring pain lasted until the fourteenth day ... He asked nature for help, ... and lost a great amount of fluid from the nose ... [and] was relieved in a short period of time ...

The above piece of text was written 1641 by Nicolaes Tulp. Nicolaes Tulp (9 October 1593 – 12 September 1674) was a Dutch surgeon and mayor of Amsterdam. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Source: Tulp, N.: Geneeskundige Waarnemingen. Leiden, Juriaan Wishof 1641 - English language translation of the Dutch original stolen from Koehler PJ.: Prevalence of headache in Tulp's Observationes Medicae (1641) with a description of cluster headache. Cephalalgia. (1993); 13(5): 318-20. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is the original Dutch version (re-print) extract:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Full page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Excellent article to put in proposed ch.com section titled "Bob Johnson's Library." Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 1:32pm

LasVegas wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 1:18pm:
Excellent article to put in proposed ch.com section titled "Bob Johnson's Library." Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

I have one of those in word docs...it's damned extensive!!! The man is a research machine.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

cathlane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 5:35am

i would not hesitate to get a huge hole bored into the back of my head right now!!.. HONEST!!

IP Logged

Chuh
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 6:47am

I think we have an original portrait of Tulp in our student union... will have to check it out.

This man may have been the first to successfully treat CH, etal:

Peace Of Mind

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!