Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Serious problems with lithium and metoprolol (Read 3299 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Serious problems with lithium and metoprolol
Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:24am

So this will get long-winded, because there's a lot I've been through in the last couple months. Fair warning. Wink

To start, as of January I had been started on lithium with instructions from the neuro to take 300 mg the first week, increasing to 600 mg the second week, then 900 mg the third week if no response. No blood tests were ordered during this time. On week three, I went to work feeling shaky and unsteady on my feet. I'd been dehydrated from nausea, so I chalked it up to that. But after having lunch with coworkers, I got back to work and started having strange symptoms. My hearing was "double", like there was an echo in the room. I started to get weird shaky jerks in my body whenever someone made a loud sudden noise. Then the next thing I knew, I had blanked out while convulsing and collapsed. I think I was out only for a few seconds. Friends said it looked like a seizure.

I was taken to the ER where they ran a bunch of tests. I told them about the lithium I was on, and they took a blood test. Apparently the acceptable upper limit is 1.2 and mine was 1.7. Yikes! I spent a couple days in the hospital while they pumped me full of fluids and made sure I was okay. Lithium was discontinued.  Undecided

Followed up with GP, he confirmed I should stop taking it as my body was metabolizing too well at that dose, which was so far ineffective. While in the hospital, I was also prescribed metoprolol and amlodipine for high blood pressure they discovered. Yet, when I saw my doc, my BP was 90/60. He felt the BP meds were maybe working TOO well. Yet when I got home, my BP was back up and I decided to keep taking the dose I was prescribed. They said it might also help with my headaches.

Well, this weekend I took the usual dose but woke up feeling weak, dizzy, and heart pounding. Decided to go to ER, where they discovered my BP was 80/50, pulse rate 50 bpm, and my heart rhythm was all over the map. Part of my heart had stopped working, and the rest of it was working overtime to compensate. Something about an "junctional escape rhythm". I was admitted to hospital again.

Turns out, my prescription was wrong. I was taking two times more medication than I needed. Pharmacy did not make the mistake, as I checked the written prescription with them. Someone at the hospital screwed up. Could have killed me.  Shocked

Right now, I'm not on any prevents. I've failed all of the normal ones. I'm looking into the alternatives, of course. And 02 and Imitrex continue to abort, thank goodness. It's been a scary ride, and I've had quite enough of being a pharmaceutical guinea pig. It never seems to end well for me.

So thanks for reading, and sorry I've been out of touch.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Serious problems with lithium and metoprolol
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:06pm

Wow, quite an adventure and good to see you back here to be able to post about it. It really does show that we need to be really careful with the medication we're on and to ensure that it is effectively monitored.

I hope things settle down soon and you can get on an effective preventive of some sort that doesn't try to kill you.

IP Logged

Slim
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bethlehem, PA
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:16pm

Several years ago I was put on lithium for CH.  I also take Toprol for high blood pressure.  I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I started to hallucinate.  I recall driving home one night and the traffic light turned into a giant twinkie hanging from the sky.  I had other hallucinations around that time.  I stopped the lithium and the hallucinations stopped.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 7:10am

look in the archives and check out Kudzu as an alternative to Lithium.  I used it for an extended period of time without the side effects from Lithium and Verap.  YMMV.  If you need help finding it I can highly recommend Swansonvitamins.com  Superb service and good pricing.  They will match anyone's.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:11am

My major concern after reading your report centers around a doctor who is/was doing a very poor job of monitoring your condition. This especially true when starting Lithium.

ER is simply not the source of stable, long term care. We need one trusted doc who has the whole picture and who monitors, especially when starting new treatment protocols.

And under the present conditions trying new suggestions you get here is an unwise move! Achieving medical stability is the immediate need--and that takes you back to working with a trustworthy doctor.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 9:31am

These are CH docs others have succesfully used. Don't know what your insurance situation is like but a long term relationship with a trusted CH doc goes a long way towards Ch stability.

Alexandria:
Dr. Stuart Robert Stark
Neurology & Headache Treatment Center

Charlottesville:
Priscilla F. Potter, MD
University of Virginia Health System

Blacksburg:
Dr. Steven D. Nack
Neurology Services of Southwest VA

Richmond:
Dr. Michael Mareska
Kara Clark, NP
Neurological Associates Inc

Virginia Beach:
Dr. Allen R. Fenderson
Holland Road Family Medicine

Woodbridge:
Dr. Naurang S Gill
Prince William Neuro

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Mike NZ, yeah I agree I should have been better monitored. I did ask several times about having my lithium levels tested, only to have the new neuro say it wasn't necessary. I guess I should have been more persistent?

Slim, not sure about the hallucinating. I think I just had a small sort of seizure but no one knows for sure.

Callico, I will file away the kudzu suggestion for possible future use. Right now I am "detoxing" from all of the prevents and relying solely on oxygen and Imitrex. And I do so hate Imitrex, but it works.

Bob, I agree that my monitoring should have been better. But the neuro visit was my first with the guy, and even though I asked about having blood levels drawn several times, he felt it wasn't necessary. Obviously it was, in retrospect, but I have been somewhat at the mercy of local doctors. I have no car, and no ability to go beyond local docs at the moment. My plan is to get out of Richmond by the end of the year and move to NYC. There have got to be better doctors there. I hope.

And Guiseppi? I had no idea that Dr. Mareska of Neurological Associates was on the list of approved CH docs. I feel like I've checked that several times and not noticed him. But this is the same group from which I've selected the past two neuros! The first one there got me on Topamax and left me hanging to lose 60 lbs, and the second was the doc who started me on Lithium with no blood tests. I am wary of trying a third.  Huh

Thanks to all for your responses. I am starting to wonder if I should spend more time at Clusterbusters but... I feel I am not a great candidate for anything even remotely prone to causing side effects. I've had fungal remedies before, and let's just say it did not go well.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!