Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some questions for the veterans..... (Read 1465 times)
Samiam
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Philadelphia PA
Some questions for the veterans.....
Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:54am

I have used Prednisone years ago with a rapid decrease.  It never helped.  I have used and did just about everything from nerve blocks to botox and just about every preventive med and nothing would work other then abortives.

When trying to figure out whether or not this was tooth pain or cluster's starting I asked to be put on a steroid dose pack and so far no major hits just all day long shadows.  I also have been taking D3 5000 mgs for over two years and fish oil for almost 3-4 months prior to that I took Krill oil.  What I have laxed on was Magnesium which I just added back in last night at a high dose 1600 mgs.  I will up the fish oil from 1200 to 2400 mgs and I upped the D3 to 9000 mgs.

Has anyone prevented a cycle from coming full force by catching the cycle early and used the dose pack along with the fish oil and D3?

How long if I have been taking the D3 and Fish oil if I up it would it take to take effect?

Could taking DHEA 5 mgs 7 days a week (I have been taking this for years until I ran out and then stopped for about 2 months then restarted) be what might have triggered this?  I know it will produce h/a's in the beginning when starting.

Could going through menopause (finished menstruating for over a year now) add to the mix? I'm 50

I also take progesterone 20-40 mgs (bio identical trans dermal) at night to help with hot flashes and sleeping.

Sorry for so many questions just trying to brain storm as to what could be the culprit.

I know for me a med can trigger a cycle I just don't understand fully as to the molecular components as to why?

"A smart man learns from his mistakes......A wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Some questions for the veterans.....
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 8:11am

Hey Sam. Most of your questions have to do with the effect drugs and otc remedies might have on stopping a cycle, but you ended with this:

Quote:
know for me a med can trigger a cycle I just don't understand fully as to the molecular components as to why?

I can't answer most of your questions but this one is easy: no one knows. We don't really know what a CH is, why it comes when it does, or how to prevent it absolutely. We only know some things work pretty well (O2, prednisone, verapamil, etc) and some don't work at all. Our main mission is to find what works for us and stick to it. Someone will chime in on the rest of what you asked. Take care, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 9:20am

I kept hoping one of the smarter research types would chime in too. I'm with Lance in that I don't do any studying on the chemical components....all the brain chemicals, receptors, transmitters etc. that are involved in CH and the meds we use.

I've heard the study of the brain being compared to 20 blind men touching an elephant, and from their small perspective, attempting to describe the whole animal. I fear when it comes to the brain, we're not much beyond that!!!! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Samiam
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Philadelphia PA
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 9:22am

Hi Lance,  Good to see you.  When I say that I know for me some drugs OTC or script mainly this connection accrued for me when I took the 5HTTP to help elevate mood.  After 3 weeks I was pulled out of a remission of almost 4 yrs.  After stopping the 5HTTP my cluster's went away several weeks later.  My 2011 cycle was not like any I had ever had the prior 30 yrs.  Shorter and was able to abort most and only lasting about 4 weeks. No where near my normal cycles.  Which every cycle can be different but this was drastic for me.

Funny thing is if any one thing happen I would be able to pinpoint what is my trigger but it always seems to come when several changes take place.

It's extremely frustrating to go long remissions only to change one little thing (not knowing what it is) and your thrown back into a cycle and once this occurs there is little to do but let it run it's course.  It's like the perfect storm.  What was the one thing you change among other changes that was the culprit.

I knew for years that this wasn't just a vesicular migraine which so many Doc's will tell you.  They had no incentive to persuade this further years ago.

I have T2 diabetes, Thyroid and Cluster's all with a central component of a damage Hypothalamus.  Not one of these condition should have occurred on it's own.  My Thyroid is fine yet it doesn't work right.  My diabetes there is no rhyme or reason as to why.  Yes, I had gained weight  (due to steroid use) it was like someone glued my numbers because nothing changed it even with a 55 lb weight lost.  I don't have high fasting sugars my sugars go super high after eating and don't come down normally.  I have had Adrenal issues also which is what the steroid use was for.

Putting all my questions into a thought provoking post is difficult because my mind is moving faster then my fingers...LOL  there just has to be a better way to give back quality of life to many.  For me it's a walk in the park compared to many but still the fear of when and if will always haunt you.

Has anyone stopped a cycle using the Dose pack?  I have also upped my vitamin D3 from 5000 to 9000 and my Omega 3/fish oil from 1200 to 2400 thinking that the steroids may be giving me time to implement these changes.  I also added in Magnesium which I have laxed on.  I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day but I've always done that.  So many of the therapies that have been posted I've done anyway.

Well thanks for reading my ramblings.  I'm glad this site is here to not only let us have a place to ramble but to help the newbies that fear they are all alone.

"A smart man learns from his mistakes......A wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:04am

Hi Sam. You asked: Quote:
Has anyone stopped a cycle using the Dose pack?
For me the answer is, yes, the first time, but after that, no. It just gave me a break in cycle. Most of us see prednisone as an intermediate drug, giving time for something more long lasting to take effect-verapamil, lithium, topamax, etc.

As for the 5HTTP, it's a serotonin precursor and promoter. Serotonin seems to be involved in CHs in some way, but I don't think we know exactly how. I found 5HTTP to be a trigger for a harder cycle, but your mileage may vary. Be careful with it especially if you are using other drugs in combination.

Your medical condition is complex and informed doctors are more critical than ever. Yes a cycle is discouraging. It brings about a depression that can be hard to shake. That's why we are here. We won't coddle you or discourage you. We will encourage you and tell you, yes you can deal, so deal! God bless. lance

IP Logged

Samiam
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Philadelphia PA
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 10:06am

Hi Joe, Sorry did not see your post.  I agree trying to figure out why is like finding a needle in a haystack. It just hasn't prevented me from asking questions knowing that really there is no answers.

Lance,  Thanks for your prospective.  Trying to find an informed Neuro is not that easy.  Every time I think I find one that works it takes months to get in to see them when I cycle.  And because I don't use Preventives due to longer and longer remissions I'm not really able to build a repure with them.  Not an easy spot to be in.  Having these as long as I have and finding pretty much my own way I have a GP that will listen to what I need and then guide me with the other medical conditions. 

I have been doing fairly well.  No major hits and I'm have not needed to use any meds.  The weather has turned quite cold here within the last week so this may have something to do with it also but only time will tell.  5Http was used prior to the 2011 hit and I have not touched it since.  Won't be doing that again nor will I try anything  know to have an effect on Serotonin.

I come to this board because it's a great support system for me.  One because there doesn't need to be a political correctness just a truthful guidance.  I value that.

I've been doing good.  No real hits just a lot of pressure.  I've not had to take any meds as of yet for pain.  I can deal with this for now, where I go from here is yet to be seen.  I finally was able to find a place after calling 6 places including the one I used in 2011  and was turned down this year to get O2 funny thing is in 2011 no one wanted to deal with you if you had insurance for the O2, now no one wants to deal with you now that I don't.  Trying to find someone that will take self pay is frustrating in itself. I finally today have a place that will allow me to self pay for two M tanks and two E tanks when I need them.  I have two E tanks here on hand of my own. I have Imitrex on it's way so I should be fully prepared within the next 10 days if this should escalate.

Coddling is not needed but the support is and I've always have gotten this here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!