Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memory Loss Anyone? (Read 2314 times)
oxyrunner
CH.com Junior

In the middle of difficulty
lies opportunity

Kent UK
Memory Loss Anyone?
Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:05am

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers with a terrible memory whilst in cycle? I seem to be forgetting more than ever before - I know some will say its age but I can have a conversation and use wrong words regularly whilst in cycle and it seems to take weeks to get back to "normal" - although it never quite is back to normal - I watched a film a couple of days ago and when asked yesterday, did I enjoy " the boat that rocked" I was sure that I had not watched it as I couldnt remember the title!!
I know this could be down to tiredness playing with my grey matter but I am curious about anyone else having the same problem.
Fortunately I can still remember the kids names  Grin

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Memory Loss Anyone?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:23am

At one point I was having major memory problems, but it all came back one thousand-fold after I started clusterbusting.  Pretty sure it has something to do with hitting the 5ht2c serotonin receptor.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 1:00pm

Leading up to my cycle, when I'm dealing with Shadows, it is very common for me to have trouble remembering things, struggling for words, and a lack of concentration overall.  The only thing I have found helps me is a cold compress, but that looks a little odd while working.

I've seen others advise fighting it with your usual preventatives, but only the compress worked for me.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Bay Area85678
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bay Area
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:43pm

Yep...I don't know if it's just the pain itself (i'm sure its part of it)  distracting the mind from whatever your doing or thinking about, or if it's something else .  When I have a bad CH or even just  the constant shadows I can't remember too much at all or even concentrate that good.  This is one of the worst parts about CH for me besides the pain.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 11:21pm

What was the question?

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:14am

I know Topamax is a brain bruiser, and that's when I had the worst problems with short term retreival. The word I wanted just wasn't there. Some other antiepileptics may exhibit similar properties as well. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Samiam
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Philadelphia PA
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:24am

My memory is shot period.  But really it seems like months prior to going into cycle I have problem with my words or even remembering what I did 10 minutes ago.  I have an app on my phone that I keep lists and things to do that will give me reminder.  It sucks.

"A smart man learns from his mistakes......A wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

IP Logged

oxyrunner
CH.com Junior

lies opportunity

Kent UK
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:15pm

This cycle it seems much more noticeable, I have started to write things down and have lists everywhere also. We are putting on a show in 6 weeks and I just cannot remember my lines - normally I dont have any trouble -  it's so frustrating.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:15pm by oxyrunner »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 7:38pm

Definite memory problems here.  Not sure if it was from a coma in 2006 or pot smoking as a kid catching up to me in my 40s, but my memory is absolutely horrible. 

Too many times I am told stories of occasions i've been involved with and can't remember it at all.  Very frustrating as if it was somebody else's life back then and I am the replacement without past memory.

Often embarrassing telling the same stories over and over again to loved ones and friends who say "we've heard this how many times?!"

Really bad when you look back at archives on this site and see how knowledgeable you once were and now are learning from what one himself wrote.

I'm not interested in being elderly Sad

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

coachmule
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

las vegas
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 11:05pm

Great message..My memory is gone...I can't remember anything...Its hard to focus but like was stated earlier I use my phone.  I thought it was my age...50 sucks...

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 8:10pm

I usually can't remember what I've done during the day during a pain day. My memory isn't absolute shit because I can usually remember news stuff or what happened in an episode of some TV show on netflix, but I have a hard time remembering what time things happened or in what order.
I also have a serious problem concentrating on anything. Sometimes I can't even gather the focus to change to a different song or podcast on my ipod or look for something to watch on netflix if I have nothing else to do.

IP Logged

9thNerve
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:12pm

If you are on Topomax, its a good bet thats the cause.
I was so stupid on that medication it was a miracle I made it day to day without a major flub-up.
Alot of the anti-seizure meds will have this type of side effect. (I kow from experience. I still feel like I lost half my brain the 21/2years I was on high dose this and that).

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:38pm

A single full blown CH attack ferociously ripping through the brain can really scramble things for awhile in my experience, let alone a series of attacks.  Shocked

My memory was getting so horrible I sought out solutions and I feel I've actually found one that has so far noticeably improved my memory from being horrific to being OK.

It's the supplement phosphatidyl serine, which is specifically for memory. I've gone off and on it several times over the years and each time I go off the memory tanks again. I take 3 of these a day, by the time you finish a bottle you should realize that you're not forgetting so much stuff - of course YMMV:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:43pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

oxyrunner
CH.com Junior

lies opportunity

Kent UK
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:11pm

Hi Bejeebers,
I am definitely going to look for this,  have to write in down tho as I will have forgotten what it's called by the time I get to the shops  Grin

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:18pm

While we're at it, two other natural products to consider that I learned to be helpful with memory retention include...

1. DHA
2. Ginkgo Biloba

Might want to write those 2 down just in case you forget Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:46pm

There was a study about this and they basically found out that there are memory problems during cycle and after the cycle is over there's 100% recovery.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 6:43pm

Study: Low Vitamin D Levels Associated With Cognitive Decline

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2013 at 6:44pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

oxyrunner
CH.com Junior

lies opportunity

Kent UK
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 4:09am

Thanks Batch,
Interesting read, I think I will get my parents onto the vitamin D regime as well.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:43am

I really wish people would stop changing the subject!!!   Now, take 24 large onions, 4 knobs of garlic, a six-pack of best Guinness Stout and the hind-quarters of a medium sized

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:02am

The only problem with that Brian

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:08pm

Guiseppi wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:02am:
The only problem with that Brian

...is remembering to take the stout out of the bottles before adding them to the mixture.

IP Logged

WillCoo
CH.com Newbie

21:4

Wheaton Il/ Nappanee In
Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:54pm

As a student in college I absolutely speculate that my memory has been effected since having my first cycle. Between classes in the spring of 2012 and classes in the fall of 2012 I had my first bout with a cluster cycle and 100 percent notice at least a slight difference in memory. As to the cause, couldn't tell ya.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!