Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adderall (Read 3002 times)
JoshL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Adderall
Jan 21st, 2013 at 3:08pm

Just a thought.  I have been prescribed adderall for ADD since I was a child, but only take it now when I am studying on the weekends for the CPA.  I just took adderall for the the first time since this cycle started and noticed the lingering HA I've had for the past few days disappeared.  I know adderall and other stimulants constrict blood vessels.  Basically what I am wondering is if it's just a coincidence the HA dissipated or if adderall could be that effective.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Adderall
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:53pm

From a  post from 2008:
My husband has been taking Adderall for three years now...
He was having regular cycles, until he started adderall.  Since he's started it - NO CYCLE. 
He had a one week period where he has 3 clusterheadaches that were "minor".  (HIS word, not mine)... and that's IT in the last three years.
Maybe you're just having cycles... like a clusterhead. 
  My husband's neuro doesn't think it affects CH... we've asked... my husband, on the other hand - thinks the adderall has something to do with it.    Who knows. 

And this from 2006

I stayed on the Adderall, a very very low dose (5mg a day). Since I've been taking it I haven't had large headache to date. I still get minor ones, but usually that are attributed to me being hungry. I can't say its for everyone, for it is an amphetamine and may be illegal in your country (I'm in the US). However, I've noticed that being able to concentrate more on the tasks at hand, like my thesis, I'm using less brain power to look at everything as a whole big picture instead of looking at a tiny snapshot in my little world. My usual time of late march/early April cluster has not hit yet, and hopefully it will not hit any time soon.

There were a few older posts but they pretty much followed the same thame. The lack of any current postings or any volume of postings tells me it's not a big treatment for CH. That being said...there's still so damned much we don't know about the noggin, who knows???? Cheesy

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JoshL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:15pm

Wow, probably should have looked for that myself I apologize.   Thanks.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:41pm

No problem, us old retired types have time on our hands!!! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:25am

There has been some recorded history of other amphetamines (Ritalin) working for cluster.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 4:22pm

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) has never impacted my CHs one way or the other. However, when I have gone off of it and restart I get terrible regular, frontal headaches for the first day or so.

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 4:26pm

I had taken Adderal XR30 daily for years and never had it change my cycles. I now take 10mg (not xr) 1-2 times a day only as needed on workdays, and still have cycles. Doesn't appear to have affected my cycles at all.

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:47pm

I googled cluster ha a while back and it stated that was one of the drugs they use to treat it, i think it even popped up on cluster busters

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:49am

"Big" treatments for clusters are usually the best to star with. If they don't help then any treatment that does is a godsend. Many O2 users can't believe that it won't work the same for everyone. The same with imitrex. O2 has been of some benefit, but worked only for a few months (and yes I have used a very high flow rate and used it properly), Imitrex does nothing for my ch attacks. Yet for a bad migraine it will knock it right out.  I take adderall in the morning for my ch. I had never used it before and never for anything else. I have been chronic for just under 20 years. I almost always got an attack that either woke me or right after I woke up. Since adderall I virtually never get an attack in the morning and have been able to decrease my other meds as well. For me it's 3 hours of doing nothing but getting through an attack to doing something productive for 3 hours in the morning. MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:40am

Quote:
Many O2 users can't believe that it won't work the same for everyone. The same with imitrex.

First, I think I can speak for all of us we're delighted you have found something that works. No one here is going to say, unless you've tried or used XX you aren't pain free.

Second, I don't think the above quote is quite right, for two reasons. To begin with, we find too many who have said O2 didn't work only to discover they were trying to abort a CH using a device and flow rate suitable for pulmonary relief. The other reason is we want something to work for everyone so much we are exuberant in support of what has worked for us.

If I have mispoken on behalf of others here, I apologize, but I think we all want the same thing. When there is something that works for so many, it's worth touting. God bless. lance

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:23pm

O2 is worth tauting. When I was at Diamond Clinic several years ago a man came in who used O2 with great results. I didn't mean to say anything negative about O2 users. I used O2 for a couple of months and it worked very well for my 1st attack of the day. (I was getting 3-4 attacks daily and they always last 3 hours.) It sometimes started to abort my 2nd attack but never really pulled it off. After 10 or so days It would help with my 1st attack then I would get it an hour later and it's onset was very, very quick. After a couple weeks It helped less and less even with an increased flow. I had to move on to others treatments. I was told many times that I didn't have the flow high enough, yet I had it as high as it was ever recommended on any site or info I got a hold of. So i just meant that I really gave it a go with the o2. MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!