Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eye exam (Read 4171 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Eye exam
Jan 18th, 2013 at 5:58pm

Went to the optometrist yesterday and got an eye exam for the 1st time n 5 years.  Did a full exam and also a retinal digital imaging exam to check the overall health of eye.

The retina exam came back fine, no issues, all blood vessels look normal, etc.  Thought for sure my left eye (CH eye) would show deterioration, but was pleasantly surprised all looked normal.

My prescription on the other hand came back with poor results.  My right eye prescription hasn't changed for the worse nor better since my last exam 5 yrs ago.

However my left eye (CH eye) deteriorated severely and was quite shocking to the optometrist.  It went from 20/60 vision to 20/150. 

Is there a link of CH's and deterioration of vision? 
I'm speculating yes. 

Curious if others who wear glasses or contacts have noticed there CH side eye has noticeably gotten worse over the years compared to their non-affected eye

...and/or...if the CH eye is significantly worse vision than the non-affected eye.  Anybody with thoughts to share?

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Eye exam
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:26pm

In the middle of a CH do you rub your affected eye at all? It may be damage caused from doing that over time.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:44pm

Mike NZ wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:26pm:
In the middle of a CH do you rub your affected eye at all? It may be damage caused from doing that over time.

I can only imagine others do the same things as me....rub it, massage it, hold it firmly, press on it and debate whether or not to take a knife and carve it out of the face.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:24pm

bump.
So many of us wear glasses or contacts.  In fact I am confident to write that the majority of us wear contacts or glasses. 

Surprised there hasn't been many stories shared about vision on CH eye or not.  Hopefully it's just a long 3 day weekend with original post on Friday afternoon.  Please do share....

Is there a link of CH's and deterioration of vision?
I'm speculating yes.

Curious if others who wear glasses or contacts have noticed there CH side eye has noticeably gotten worse over the years compared to their non-affected eye

...and/or...if the CH eye is significantly worse vision than the non-affected eye.  Anybody with thoughts to share?

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:46pm

I started with glasses in my mid 40's, but this follows the pattern of older brothers, (3), none of whom have CH. I'm up to progressive bi-focals now at 53, but both eyes appear to be deteriorating at the same pace. Seem to be keeping pace with my fathers eyes, sadly, not my mothers, who at 83 STILL does not need glasses to read!!! Shocked

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:49pm

Big time rule in science: just because two things occur together doesn't mean one caused the other.

Real easy to get confused if you don't attend to this idea.
===
Scan of medical literature show strikingly little material on headache (of all types) and eyes. There is one extensive nerve system which serves much of our head which is associated with many of the functions going on there and so, can lead to confusion about cause-and-effect events.

Not unusual for folks with new Cluster to see an eye doc thinking the pain must be from an eye disorder or to be told, "no".  That's the substance of this material....

Semin Ophthalmol. 2008 May-Jun;23(3):169-77.
Neuro-ophthalmologic manifestations of primary headache disorders.
Shareef AH, Dafer RM, Jay WM.
SourceLoyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA.

Abstract
Headaches are the most common disorders of the central nervous system affecting 46% of the adult population worldwide. Headaches may be lifelong illnesses, often associated with substantial disability for the individual and the population as a whole. The International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-II) codifies headache disorders into fourteen categories, predominantly primary headaches and secondary headache disorders. Primary headache disorders, mainly migraine and trigeminal autonomic cephalgias (TACs), are frequently associated with neuro-ophthalmologic manifestations. Ophthalmologists are often the first physicians to be involved in the deciphering of headache-related visual disturbances. This article reviews two major primary headache disorders, migraine and trigeminal autonomic cephalgias, and discusses their neuro-ophthalmic complications, clinical presentation, and treatment.

PMID:18432543[PubMed]
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2010 Feb;14(1):62-72.
Headache attributable to disorders of the eye.
Friedman DI, Gordon LK, Quiros PA.
SourceFlaum Eye Institute, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA. Deborah_Friedman@urmc.rochester.edu

Abstract
Sensory innervation to the eye and periocular area arises from the ophthalmic branch of the trigeminal nerve. Thus, ocular, orbital, and systemic disorders may produce head pain with ocular signs and symptoms. Whereas some of these entities have characteristic diagnostic features, others mimic primary headache disorders such as migraine and cluster headache. This article reviews common ocular and neuro-ophthalmic conditions that are accompanied by pain in or near the eye.

PMID:20425216[PubMed]
------
Med Clin North Am. 1991 May;75(3):693-706.   

Ophthalmologic aspects of headache.

Tomsak RL.

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio.

Pain around the eye can be caused by local ophthalmic disorders or by disease of other structures sharing trigeminal nerve sensory innervation. In general, most ocular causes for pain also cause the eye to be red, thus alerting the examiner to the focality of the problem. However, conditions like eyestrain, intermittent angleclosure glaucoma or neovascular glaucoma, and low-grade intraocular inflammation can be painful and not be associated with obvious redness. Ocular signs and symptoms also occur with numerous other causes of headache. Double vision in association with periocular pain can result from orbital lesions, isolated cranial neuropathies, and cavernous sinus lesions. Pupillary abnormalities like Horner's syndrome may result from a variety of painful conditions, including cluster headache, parasellar neoplasms or aneurysms, internal carotid dissection or occlusion, and Tolosa-Hunt syndrome. Pain with a dilated and unreactive pupil may reflect a benign condition like Adie's syndrome or ophthalmoplegic migraine, or it may herald the presence of a life-threatening posterior communicating artery aneurysm. Headache and transient visual loss can be manifestations of classic migraine, or be symptoms of ocular hypoperfusion from ipsilateral internal carotid occlusion or increased intracranial pressure from pseudotumor cerebri. In a young patient, head pain with a fixed visual deficit may result from optic neuritis, in an older adult, temporal arteritis may be the culprit.

OPHTHALMOLOGIC ASPECTS OF HEADACHE THUS ENCOMPASS PROBLEMS THAT RANGE FROM SIMPLE AND BENIGN TO COMPLEX AND FORMIDABLE.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 2020223 [PubMed]
=======
One major study revealed that 50% of new cases of Cluster were, in fact, not headache disorders but other problems which mimic headache. Point being: need to be cautious about accepting quick diagnoses for you may end up treating (and failing) the wrong disorder.

See: 
Link to: cluster-LIKE headache.
Section, "Medications, Treatments, Therapies --> "Important Topics" --> "Cluster-LIKE headache"

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:54pm

Thanks Joe.

and to Bob J, excellent article...by the way, how are YOUR eyes?

-Gregg in Las Vegas
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:55pm by LasVegas »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:44pm

Gregg, I've been using glasses since I was 10, that being 25 years before Cluster started.

Changes over the years appear, to the doc, to be at the rate which he expects as one moves into middle-age.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:57pm

Thanks for sharing Bob.  It's just that I noticed that over the years ALMOST every CH'er i've met (and i've met well over 100 of us) do have vision problems.  And considering the primary pain is within one of our two eyes....hmmm...thought there might be a correlation...specifically considering my recent eye exam as noted above indicates my CH eye just went from 20/60 to 20/150 and my NON-CH eye was absolutely the same prescription. 

Always trying to put 2 + 2 together, but with CH's it seems to always = 3 or 5. Roll Eyes

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 1:13pm

I don't wear glasses, not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to say that, and my vision is better in my affected eye generally.  When I'm in a Cluster cycle I have noticed my vision is affected intermittently and mostly in the affected eye.  It doesn't last long and I'm usually back to normal after the cycle.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 8:04pm

My clusters started when I was about 27 years old. I did not need glasses then. At about age 45 (still getting clusters) I started using glasses to read. Now at age of almost 66 and still getting clusters, I wear bi-focals. Damn....at this rate I'll be blind at age 90 and won't be able to find my energy drink.  Roll Eyes

Oh yeah, No, I don't think there is any connection between eyesite and clusters.

And, did you know that eyeglasses were invented in Vegas?
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2013 at 8:07pm by BobG »  

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:50pm

BobG, you always put a smile on my face beginning the day we met in person.  Hope all is well up there off the I-15. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:55pm

Gregg, I've got some data for a one-case statistic   Tongue

In 1998 a cataract in my right (cluster side) eye got noticeable, it got more and more shortsighted. After changing 3 or 4 times the right spectacle glass for a stronger one, the capability to merge the two images into one deteriorated. I could no longer read a newspaper with both eyes. If the difference between the two glasses is more than 3 diopters, the 2 images differ too much in size for for the brain to combine them to one (unless the are some high-contrast, large structures, like a TV screen in front of a dark back background).

So, I decided in 1999 for cataract surgery, where the bad lens in the eye is replaced by a plastic lens. I lived happily thereafter for 9 years, when the other eye developed a cataract too. So, for 4 years now I'm looking at the world though 2 plastic lenses.

I've been told that such a long delay of cataract onset between the eyes is very uncommon; that would be evidence for your theory. On the other hand, for me the cluster pain is not in or around the eye, but rather below the zygomatic arch, such weakening the evidence.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:34pm

Very interesting reply AlienSpaceGuy from the North Pole...

Thanks for teaching me my big word of the day~~>zygomatic arch Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

Bud
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Lowell, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:20pm

About a year ago I had a tumor called Choroidal Hemangioma (non cancerous) on the retina of my right eye (CH eye). The vision in that eye was 20/100 with my glasses on, 20/20 in the other eye. The condition can't be corrected with glasses, it's kind of like having a digital camera with no data card in it, you can take picture but you can't see them. I had radiation plaque surgery and now the vision in that eye is 20/40. The Doctors at Princess Margret Hospital in Toronto (one of the largest cancer treatment hospitals in Canada) said that I could have had that tumor for years but only noticed it because it was getting close to the optic nerve and was starting to swell with fluid. These tumors are very difficult to spot as they can be very small. A more common tumor is Choroidal Melanoma (cancerous) but if detected early is treatable. They have to inject a fluorescent dye into your blood stream and examine the retina that way. Since the surgery my vision has been getting better slowly. When they told me where the tumor was it was exactly, and I mean EXACTLY where the CH pain is, but I am told that this condition has nothing to do with Cluster Headaches. How come a Doctor can tell you what's not causing Cluster Headaches, but can't tell what is. I am 58 years old and have had CH's all my life. The doctors can't tell me how long I had this tumor, I could have had it for decades, they are very difficult to spot. My CH's are in remission right now, but time will tell.

The Beast takes advantage of us when we are vulnerable, picks on the unprepared. But when you fight back, he runs away with his tail between his legs. He truly is a coward.

IP Logged

jacky lee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 11:01am

Hi Greg,

I also wear eye glasses and its not easy with every year it seems to create more damage in my eyes. I wonder why is that.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:07pm

Whilst it's tempting to blame CH for our eyes getting worse over time, it may just be that we're aging and that is the cause of eye problems.

IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:57pm

I wear glasses as well, and had a complete eye exam this past week. Both my eyes have always been on the same level, though this time, my left (non cluster side) has deteriorated a little more than the other, though not enough to change prescriptions.
I have also been having light flashes in the left eye for a little over 2 weeks now, which is why I went to the optometrist in the first place. She was curious about my CH, and though it might be related to it (even if it's the wrong eye) since all the tests were normal. She wrote up a report for my head doctor, and told me she would read up on CH to see how it could relate to the eyes.

*** edited for spelling
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:58pm by jess-MTL »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 5:14pm

Only effect to the vision I've noticed is that CH gives me a shitty outlook on life from time to time. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:33pm

Brew wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 5:14pm:
Only effect to the vision I've noticed is that CH gives me a shitty outlook on life from time to time. Wink

Funniest thing I've seen in months, THANKS Brew...I can relate  Cheesy

...and when that happens, I conjur Mr. Rogers Hornsby...who would be in the Hall of Fame for that wonderful name alone....and who once said:

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

...well, that's what I do...when my outlook is in the crappper...but now Spring has SPRUNG...the boys are in camp....EVERYBODY is in First place...optimism prevails.....

...now, surely I digress, which is me, so anyway...to address Gregg's question: 31 ch vet here...have only experienced the "changes due to age" in my eyesight (reading glasses, a FEW changes in script).Even asked the eye Doc about the now permanently constricted pupil in side affected eye. He shrugged, said he had a few other ch patients, had never noticed any effect on vision, and that I had bigger problems than miosis...quit worrying about it....soes...I DON'T.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!