Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much Prednisone is too much? (Read 6440 times)
Bub1031
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How much Prednisone is too much?
Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:18pm

So i started a cycle in late December after roughly a 2 year break which has been about average for me lately. I started a Prednisone taper almost two weeks ago that i just ended. Of course I had two headaches while on the Prednisone. My question is, has anyone tried two different Prednisone tapers within a cycle? Reading these boards it seems as if I was on a relatively low dosage (started at 30mg first day). And in my experience it seems as if I am on the Prednisone, it definitely eliminates/decreases the headaches, but it never aborts the cycle completely. Is it wise for me to approach my doctor about starting a second taper?

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Re: How much Prednisone is too much?
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:49pm

I would imagine that anything North of 100 is far too much. 80 is the number that most people use.
re: multiple tapers during a cycle. I did three in my first cycle, granted 2 of them were weaker doses. I did a week of 4 mg of a stronger steroid, a 40 mg of pred, and an 80 mg of pred.

The issue is time and when you start getting into the 80s, the taper usually is a 3 day ratchet so you can get off of it quickly but still have the benefit
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:53pm by idorko »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:21pm

For a quick pred. taper with Cluster, starting dose is commonly around 80mg., moving down quickly. It's long term use which is to be avoided and simply not needed for its purposes with Cluster.

If your doc is not experience dealing with Cluster, you might print the PDF file, below, and give him a copy. One for your information and you can use the info to guide a discussion of treatment options with him.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:24pm by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bub1031
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:35pm

Thank you so much to the both of you. I've never started as high as 80. Normally it's 30,30, etc. for 12 days. Last night was a tough one, three headaches throughout the night...never had more than one in a night. I'm hoping that the next taper will at least get me to the point of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm at the disadvantage of using my general physician for treatment as my neurologist moved to Colorado. That being said, my physician is very receptive to my history and never questions my treatment ideas.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 8:35pm

Your last sentence is a blessing! Many of us have been in the same position, especially in the years when any useful knowledge about Cluster was rare, and so we had to teach our primary care doc how to care for us!

I was blessed with an internist who, when I moved away from him, sent ME and thank you letter for what I had taught him! A rare doc, still missed.....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 9:54am

Do read the link Bob gave you as there is SOO much more available to treat CH, other then pred! Check out these links specifically:

Oxygen should be your first line abortive. Breathing pure 02 will abort an attack for me in less then 10 minutes, that’s completely pain free. Here's the link on HOW to use it and how to get it:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This link will show you how to get set up with welding oxygen:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Follow this link  to the medications section of this board and read the post "Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It’s a vitamin/mineral/fish oil supplement, all over the counter stuff, that’s providing a lot of relief for people who have tried it, it’s healthy for you even without CH!

For now, get some energy drinks. Rock Star, Monster, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine, chug it down as fast as you can when you feel an attack starting. Many can abort or at least really reduce an attack using these.

Finally, visit our sister board for “alternative” treatment methods outside of mainstream medicine. As you’ll see from all the success stories on this board, there is something to it.

clusterbusters.com

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!