Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phantoms (Read 2113 times)
Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Phantoms
Dec 27th, 2012 at 3:49pm

I have been getting some unusually intense "phantoms" lately. I am out of my cycles (or atleast thought I was) and am getting phantoms like I've never had before. I was wanting to hear about what you guys experience as far as phantoms are concerned. Today I have had 2 so far and they were moderately intense. My first one woke me up around 7 am with about a kip level of aboub a 2 or 3....a little worse than a shadow. Thought that it maybe was a sinus or tension headache, but it kept growing with intensity. It began to feel much like a CH minus the excrutiating pain that gets behind your eye. Mind you, this mornings episode was only about a 5 or 6 at its peak. It had very similar characteristics of a CH but without the "intense" burning pain. I treated it with my CH routine and after about 30-40 minutes, it went away. About an hour ago, I was dosing off on the couch during a movie, and had another one. This one however, came on much faster and with more intensity. It peaked at around a 7 or mild 8 and again only lasted for about 30-40 minutes. What made this one different from this morning was the intensity. I had no "warnings" from either one and they were both intense enough to cause me to go into my typical "routine". Granted, they didn't have the unbearable burning pain, but they were painful enough to stop me from doing anything else. I have never had phantoms quite like this, however, this last cycle was different from the ones in the past. I just wanted to hear about everyone elses phantoms and how they are for you. I know that CH's vary from person to person as well as intensity. I know that OTC abortatives don't do a thing for CH's, but today's phantoms seemed to get tamed from a BC powder. Maybe it didn't actually help and it was just time that stopped it. This last one almost made me believe that it was a "rebound". I know you're not Neuros and I should be consulting in one, but just wondered everyones opinions and experiences with the irritating CH's little-brothers.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Phantoms
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 4:33pm

"Today at 3:49pm     I have been getting some unusually intense "phantoms" lately. I am out of my cycles (or atleast thought I was) and am getting phantoms like I've never had before. I was wanting to hear about what you guys experience as far as phantoms are concerned.

"Today I have had 2 so far and they were moderately intense. My first one woke me up around 7 am with about a kip level of aboub a 2 or 3....a little worse than a shadow. Thought that it maybe was a sinus or tension headache, but it kept growing with intensity. It began to feel much like a CH minus the excrutiating pain that gets behind your eye. Mind you, this mornings episode was only about a 5 or 6 at its peak. It had very similar characteristics of a CH but without the "intense" burning pain.

"I treated it with my CH routine and after about 30-40 minutes, it went away. About an hour ago, I was dosing off on the couch during a movie, and had another one. This one however, came on much faster and with more intensity. It peaked at around a 7 or mild 8 and again only lasted for about 30-40 minutes. What made this one different from this morning was the intensity. I had no "warnings" from either one and they were both intense enough to cause me to go into my typical "routine". Granted, they didn't have the unbearable burning pain, but they were painful enough to stop me from doing anything else.

"I have never had phantoms quite like this, however, this last cycle was different from the ones in the past. I just wanted to hear about everyone elses phantoms and how they are for you. I know that CH's vary from person to person as well as intensity. I know that OTC abortatives don't do a thing for CH's, but today's phantoms seemed to get tamed from a BC powder. Maybe it didn't actually help and it was just time that stopped it. This last one almost made me believe that it was a "rebound".

"I know you're not Neuros and I should be consulting in one, but just wondered everyones opinions and experiences with the irritating CH's little-brothers." 

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2012 at 4:37pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 7:24pm

Bob? I'm not quite sure what to make of your reply.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 1:42am

I've got nothing nice to say about phantoms, Tim, and reckon they can be scarey as all get out. Silly as it may sound to some, I'd rather a real one than get spooked by a ghost.

Like you, I just follow my normal routine when they hit but probably think an extra few bad words.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 4:14am

Tim in Texas wrote on Dec 27th, 2012 at 7:24pm:
Bob? I'm not quite sure what to make of your reply.

Looks like a phantom reply, other than the formatting to make it easier to read.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 9:02am

Phantoms or shadows? Or a string of real attacks at low KIP levels? For what it's worth, and that ain't much, I favor the lattermost of the three. But so what? They hurt. Hit 'em hard with O2 and Monster chugged. Or trex them after about 15 minutes. Meet them head on because in my experience the little ones build up into something much uglier. blessings. lance

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 11:47am

What we call 'phantom' at this site are painless attacks. The running nose, tearing eye, etc are present but no pain.

Shadows are low level attacks with pain and may just linger for 15, 30, 60 minutes, maybe more.. Kip 2 or 3 may be considered shadows. To me, shadows are a warning that a more intense attack may be, could be, on the way, but maybe not. I consider anything at Kip 3 or greater a 'real' attack. But, it's a personal thing what a suffer considers it.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 9:13pm

Well, perhaps my "CH lingo" is incorrect. What I call a shadow is basically an almost "painless" entity. Its very much like the "tingling" sensation we get just before we get hit. For me a shadow will typically last off and on for most of the day, but has also been known to plague me for days on end. When I'm getting "shadowed" most of the time I can go to sleep. However, sometimes the pain is just enough to keep me awake.

Many times I can take an OTC pain reliever and it will tame it. For me shadows come on pretty strong at the peak of my cycles and occur more frequently towards the end of the cycle. Usually I associate shadows and many times confuse them thinking that they are a CH that is about to hit. What is so aggrivating for me is that I get Shadows always after the peak in my cycle and it always feels like a beast is coming on. Sometimes I get hit, other times it will linger with me and have me scared. Just like you, I'd just rather get hit and not be tortured with a haunting fear.

"Phantoms" are something different for me. Phantoms only hit me when I'm out of my cycle. They are a pretty nasty HA and are just like a typical CH, but with one difference......no agonazing pain behind my eye. Everthing else is the same: 30 min- 2 Hour duration, runny nose, droopy red eye and the intensity varies. Usually they aren't as bad as a CH. They always hit me when I'm out of my cycles and come out of nowhere. They come on fast and leave just as fast when the episode is over. They are always on my right side and most times I can tolerate them and work through them.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 10:38pm

Every CH pain is a CH whether it grows stronger or not. We all experience CH slightly different. The perception of pain can differ. I thought for many years, I had K-10s every cycle, then I actually had one.

As I learned on this site, a shadow is any level of CH pain, a phantom can have multi descriptions.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:15pm

Yeah Don I thought for quite a few years that I was getting K-10s just like you talked about. It. Wasn't until about 5 years ago did I get my first one. I'm very glad that every CH isn't a 10.....thank god!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:46pm

And I hate when that happens. My worst attacks involve a K-10 and then an "afterburn" of K-7-9 that just won't leave for up to 48 hrs. This has sent me to the ER with no sleep. These attacks are rare for me though.

I stilled get way too many attacks but I stop most with a top notched O2 setup. In 24 yrs it is my best weapon. High flow and the O2PTI mask and a Demand Valve. O2 has advanced among us sufferers but the medical world is far behind.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!