Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
airline travel (Read 1178 times)
Joe g
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

airline travel
Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:31pm

I'm new here and thank all of you for helping me understand my headaches. My doctor is clueless and I tell him how to medicate me. I'm uninsured and he's affordable. I have had bad attacks on airlines flying above 25000 feet. Has anybody else experienced this and if so is there anything I can do about it. I miss my parents in Florida and hate the idea of a 24 hour drive.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: airline travel
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:03am

Hello JoeG, and welcome! Airline travel can be a bugger for CH sufferers. Whether or not the rapid changes in altitude, or the high altitude, is a direct trigger we always run the risk of getting a hit on the plane. Some travel a lot, and I tend to keep my travel to a minimum. I don't like going anywhere without O2 handy and that is just impossible on a plane. So I carry imitrex injections for fast relief if needed. I haven't yet arranged for O2 on arrival at my destination but again, several here do so. I pray you work this out. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:55am

Welcome to the board Joe. I've never been hit on a plane but always carried an imitrex injectable when I flew when I was on cycle. I'd also buy a Red Bull once I got through security as that will help as an abortive for me.

Have you read up on the "batch Regimen" also known as the Vitamin D regimen? Helping well over 70% of those who try it. Cheap, good for you even without CH, worth a shot. Go to the meds section and check out the post, "123 pain free days and i think I know why" for details on the regimen.

Then check out our sister board, clusterbusters.com    works well for the un and under insured.

(another) Joe!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 4:39pm

I fly a lot, about 90 flights this year and slightly more last year mainly short trips but with some international flights, but so far I've never had a headache on a plane yet.

However I'm always very well prepared. I fly with sumitriptan (imitrex) injections in case of CH and sumitriptan tablets plus pain killers in case of a migraine (I get both). For international flights I also buy some Red Bull (easy to get in any airport after security). I make sure I know where these are in my travel bag and keep them close at hand so I can get to them quick if needed.

I've never had any issues taking the sumitriptan auto-injectors through security but I've got the container they came from the pharmacy in with the prescription details. The only item which has been looked at is an oxygen regulator and that was only as it shows as being a large, unusual metal item. Once I've explained what it is and that I'm not flying with oxygen cylinders there have been no issues.

Where I've been flying to one destination either a lot or for an extended period I've arranged for oxygen to be available whilst I've been in cycle. I've done this in both Australia and NZ via BOC (local oxygen company).

So just like with anything else CH related a lot is down to being prepared for the worst just in case.

If you get a CH every time you fly, you might want to talk to your doctor about possibly doing a short prednisione taper to cover you for each flight as this will act as a strong preventitive. Other people have experimented with taking a triptan as a preventive with mixed results. Again, discuss with your doctor.

IP Logged

Joe S.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:49am

I need to travel in a car for 22 hours over two days next weekend and I am currently in a cluster cycle.  I am scared to death.  What does Red Bull do for those of you who have had success with it?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am by Joe S. »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 1:58pm

I see you've taken the car option. Hope it works out well for you.

For Red Bull I use it in a few ways. The first is for shadows where it seems to knock it down a few levels on the Kipp scale or even kills them. Another is when I've nothing else around to abort a CH (rare), in which case it helps reduce the intensity and duration of a CH. Then when I'm hit by a high Kipp CH I will use it just after killing off the CH both to help recover from the CH and to avoid it returning.

For all of these uses I open the can and drink it very quick. It was ages before I even knew what it tasted like as I drink it so fast.

IP Logged

Joe S.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:08pm

Thanks Mike NZ.  Actually we're driving to Florida because we are going to be there for our winter.  Haven't tried the Red Bull or Monster Energy drink route but I will now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!