Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster headache without the pain (Read 2176 times)
JohnnyT
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster headache without the pain
Dec 17th, 2012 at 3:25pm

Hi,

This is my first post. I wonder if anybody has shared this experience.
I've had cluster headaches for 18 years now 3 times a year for 5 weeks at a time. That was until the last year when I went without a bout for just over a year... JOY!

However they returned as usual just after the clocks changed at the end of October..with a vengeance, they have now finished, but I now get one a day, whenever I have a drink or I'm tired - but without the pain.. My pupil is small on one side, my eyelid drops and reddens, I get neck pain and I can feel that strange pressure behind my eye and in my temple I just don't have that debilitating pain. It's very unsettling and I wonder if anyone has shared this experience?

Thanks!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Cluster headache without the pain
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 4:19pm

We call them Phantom Headaches and those of us who get them know exactly what you're talking about. Everybody else thinks we're mad.

Welcome.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Well Johnny, the problem is, Aussie Brian is mad....and was clearly left unsupervised near a computer where he had internet access! Wink

Several have posted of similar experiences. It's great the pain isn't there. Do you have an effective treatment plan in place when you do get hit? Oxygen, a decent prevent, a neuro who knows what CH is?

Glad you found us, no matter what Brian says he can do for your CH, DO NOT send him any beer! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 3:05am

Never had them with CHs, but I've had a couple with migraines which I must admit totally confused me the first time. Just treat it as if it's a normal CH and you'll find your usual abortive will work just as if it's a normal one.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 8:15am

Painless cluster has been reported in the medical literature--rare and not understood.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 11:10am

I think it's most frustrating trying to explain it to other people.  Some of those shadows can be impactful without the pain.  It's weird to say, but sometimes it's better when the pain comes back.  Easier for me to deal with.

IP Logged

Sharkbay
CH.com Junior

Do as to others as you
would want done to you
and

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:35am

Hi I have this happen to me at last 2-4 times a week CH without the pain. Iv had a stellate ganglion block for my shoulder pain and as soon as I woke up I had the same thing happen CH with out the pain, This got me thinking so I did some research and won of the Side Effects of a stellate ganglion block is Horner's syndrome. Side Effects of a stellate ganglion block In almost every case, you will experience what is known as a Horner's syndrome after a stellate ganglion block (constriction of the pupil, drooping eyelid, and a red eye). Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So maybe the stellate ganglion needs some research done on it to see how much it plays with CH.

ALL THE BEST Les

Do as to others as you would want done to you and you.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:01am

If it doesn't hurt, is it really a "headache"?

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:22am

Bob P wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:01am:

Hmm...if a tree falls....yeah ...never mind! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:27pm

See what I mean, JohnnyT? They think we're mad!

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 12:10am

Bob P wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:01am:

A very, very good question that I've been thinking for a few hours, with a cold drink to help my thoughts (getting warm and humid here as the reminants of Cyclone Evan approach bringing warm, humid air from the tropics).

If the essentials of a headache are that it affects your head and it makes it ache with a mix of other symptoms, then CH is never a headache as describing the pain as an ache is like describing a nuclear bomb as a small bomb. So equally not having an ache when you get all the other symptoms still makes it a headache.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 9:51pm

Sure.  Sometimes a touch of pain, but no big deal.  What seems weird is the other stuff: tears, runny nose, all on one side, can't sit still, can' stand being around people.  Besides lack of pain, they are shorter tan my usual hour.

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!