Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maxalt 5mg tablets rizatriptan,what your opinion (Read 923 times)
David35lx
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Maxalt 5mg tablets rizatriptan,what your opinion
Nov 30th, 2012 at 8:46pm

Maxalt 5mg tablets rizatriptan,what your opinion about this medecine?It was what my doctor prescribed me,and in one hour my CH will return and I dont know if I should take or not because of the secondary effects.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Maxalt 5mg tablets rizatriptan,what your opinion
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 11:47pm

I've tried these, originally for CH but also for migraine, with very different results.

For CH, they can work, but take about 15 or so minutes to take effect, which is a long time for a CH, especially when oxygen or imitrex injections will kill the CH in about 5 minutes.

But for migraine it's a different story. Whilst it still takes about 15 minutes, this is a LOT more tolerable and it seems to kill the migraine for me. However you need to not take them too often as you can get rebounds from them.

It seems that most doctors who proscribe them just assume that as they work for migraine they will work fine for CH when there are much better alternatives for CH.

IP Logged

barnbldr
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Morton, Il.
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:06am

I tried the Maxalt as well. It worked well for the first couple of hs's, but after that it stopped working.  Plus my doc said the max I should take in a week is 2, and I was taking 2 a day....

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 5:55am

There are seveal meds in this family which differ in speed and duration of action. This allows a particular med to be matched to the quality of your attacks--speed of onset, duration, etc.

In general, sumatriptan injection (Imitrex) is med of choice for Cluster because of its rapid action and hard punch to knock down a Cluster attack.

Which one to use is a decision to be worked out with your doc; not an issue of "best" for that is controlled by your response.

Print out the PDF file, below, and use as a tool to discuss your options with the doc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!