Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex + Alcohol? (Read 2384 times)
greghodg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Imitrex + Alcohol?
Nov 24th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Been a CH for 12 years now.  Started my every-two-years cycle almost two weeks ago.  If past experience is anything to go by, I've got 1-2 more weeks to go.  It's been pretty mild so far, I've learned to grab some caffeine and 1/3-1/2 of a 100mg imitrex as soon as shadows start, and that usually keeps it from progressing beyond the nagging shadow level, so the HAs have only gotten out of control a couple of times so far. 
Alcohol is, as for most it seems, a guaranteed hit.  People ask me if I'd like a beer, and I have to explain that the hit it will produce is not even remotely worth the headache it will produce.  However, I'm hosting a party next weekend, and it usually involves alcohol consumption.  Plus, after a couple of weeks of the stress of the cycle, it would be nice to have a few drinks and relax with friends.
So my question is, if I pop say a 100mg imitrex beforehand, will that fend off the alcohol hit?  I know I could just try it myself beforehand, but I fear the hit so much that I don't want to be the guinea pig myself...

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Re: Imitrex + Alcohol?
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 3:53pm

It never helped me

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:14pm

One of the highest levels of agreement around here is: when in a cycle, NO alcohol! Even folks who are on an effective preventive med (you didn't mention using one, by the way??) don't test the gods on this one.

Can offer one possibility, if you wish to run a pre-party test: study out of Germany some years ago reported that all distilled spirits and red wine would trigger an attack when we are in an active cycle--white wine the exception. (No explanation offered but I suspect it's reflects the extraordinary chemical complexity of red wine.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:52pm

Hey Greg, I'll do you a favour free for nothing. Send me the beer and I'll drink it for you during the party while sending constant updates on what a great time you're having.

No need to thank me. It's part of the service.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

greghodg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 3:14pm

No need to stress the 'no alcohol' rule with me - I found that out the hard way during my first couple of cycles, before I found a neurologist and got diagnosed. And using the 'beer test' when I think a cycle has ended has never failed to prove it one way or the other. 
However, like I said, this cycle has been mild in comparison to past years, so last night I threw caution to the wind and gave it a go.  Popped a 50mg sumatriptan tab and drank four bud lights over the course of a couple of hours, amazingly, to no ill effects.  Obviously not enough to draw any real conclusions, but I think I'll see how the week goes and probably give it another shot next weekend.  Smiley
Thanks for the offer aussiebrian, i can't actually send you any beer but you're still welcome to join me in spirit Smiley

IP Logged

Tim Cobb
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 8:31pm

I gave up beer after my second cycle 17 years ago and haven't touched any since. The smell makes me think of the beast and that's enough to make me order a iced tea rather I'm in or out of cycle.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2012 at 8:33pm by Tim Cobb »  

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 7:54am

Don't!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 6:33pm

Quote:
I know I could just try it myself beforehand, but I fear the hit so much that I don't want to be the guinea pig myself...

Guiniea pig now or guniea pig later. Either way its a dumb move.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!