Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster headaches and Tinnitus (Read 1261 times)
nathantheengineer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster headaches and Tinnitus
Nov 15th, 2012 at 10:54am

Good afternoon,

I am a recent member of the cluster club and have been reading this board and nodding in agreement with the posts.

I have a question though, i have searched the board and wondered if anything new has come to light regarding CH and tinnitus?

I have a high prevalence of tinnitus now most days and am in the middle of a cluster.

Is it medication based or linked to the CH?

Sorry if this is an old topic.

Kind regards

Nathan   

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Cluster headaches and Tinnitus
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:26pm

Tinn. is linked to ca. 180 Rx meds--with much individual variability as part of the picture.

OTC pain meds have a high level association which may have more interest to Cluster folks who use/abuse them in lieu of more useful abortives.

Latest research, however, is pointing to tinn. association with hearing loss. The line of thought is: loss of hearing deprives the brain cells which are associated with hearing so that they have less sound to process. As a compensation for this loss, these cells make noise (tinn.) to fill up their "capacity", ultimately, if correction of the hearling loss is not adderssed, leads to some of these cells losing their hearing-directed function totally.

Not yet gospel, I understand, but surely suggests that the development of tinn. should take you for a hearing test and monitor future changes.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!