Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster headaches and migraines (Read 1005 times)
Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Cluster headaches and migraines
Nov 11th, 2012 at 11:28pm

Does anyone have cluster headaches and migraines? I went to the neurologist this week and she thinks this is what is going on as some of my headaches I explained are bearable. Still always on the left side behind my left eye but bearable. I still have those  days where it is unbearable In which she thinks those are the cluster headaches but the other one migraines. She gave me maxalt for the bearable days. Haven't tried it yet. We will see if it works. Just wondering if any of you have migraines too.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Cluster headaches and migraines
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 10:19am

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007 Apr;11(2):154-7. 

Cluster-migraine: does it exist?

Applebee AM, Shapiro RE.

Given C219B, Department of Neurology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405, USA. robert.shapiro@uvm.edu.

The nosological boundaries between cluster headache and migraine are sometimes ill-defined. Although the two disorders are distinct clinical entities, patients sometimes present with clinical scenarios having characteristics of both headache types, but either do not fully meet International Classification of Headache Disorders, Second Edition diagnostic criteria for either disorder or have sufficient symptoms and signs to allow both diagnoses to be present. These occasions provide diagnostic challenges and include what is variously described as migraine-cluster, cyclical migraine, clustering episodes of migraine, cluster with aura, or atypical cluster without autonomic symptoms or severe pain. Patients with symptoms overlapping cluster headache and migraine likely reflect the inherent clinical variability in each of these two disorders, rather than distinct diagnostic entities in their own right.

PMID: 17367596

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 4:59pm

you are not alone same here

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 9:52am

I get and have been diagnosed with both. I have come to know each type of headache quite well, and for me the distinction is clearly defined. My CH will reliably hit at around 3:30 am, cause insane levels of pain for about 30 minutes, and be gone as soon as it came. No nausea, no worries about light or sound. Swollen eye, tearing, stuffy nose. Basically all of the classic signs and symptoms.

On days Mr. Migraine shows up, I have pain in the same area but it is more diffuse, less intense, but more persistent and throbbing. And I always get nausea with a migraine. Always. And they last for hours, sometimes a whole day.

Verapamil, Imitrex shots, oxygen, energy drinks, and running can all work for the CH. Migraine, on the other hand, demands regular Imitrex pills or various analgesics (and sometimes, Percocet)... and most importantly, Zofran for the endless puking.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!