Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
birth control pills (Read 1427 times)
Chen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Israel
birth control pills
Nov 6th, 2012 at 1:06pm

Hi everyone,
My first time here…. 32 years old, CH for 17 years.
Started a cycle on October 18, 2011, since then tried to go of med, but every time I tried, i had attacks… it made me think that maybe I became chronic...
This September, (after I got married and decided to get pregnant), I decided, after consulting with my Doc, to try again to get of Topamax (it's forbidden during pregnancy). The first month was relatively fine (about attack per week, even less). The second month was hard, the attacks became more often and more severe. To make a long story short –at the end I was  hospitalized and got back to all the meds I toke before and more, and I'm still not PF (have like 1 a day), and can't get pregnant.
Only after I thought about it, I realized that the deterioration started after I stopped taking birth control pills (on the begging of the second month) – dose anyone know about a connection between CH and birth control pills? My Doc didn't have an answer.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: birth control pills
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 1:49pm

Another message follows with a second PDF file, below.

(Technical limitations prevent me from sending both file in one reply.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (41 KB | 3 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 1:55pm

I was a bit surprised to not find any very recent material on you question. These abstracts, plus the two PDF files, are the mosts recent I could find.
===============================
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2010 Apr;14(2):164-73.
Treatment of cluster headache in pregnancy and lactation.
Calhoun AH, Peterlin BL.
Source: Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina, Carolina Headache Institute, Chapel Hill, 27516, USA. calhouna@carolinaheadacheinstitute.com

Abstract
Cluster headache (CH) is a neurovascular headache syndrome characterized by headache attacks that occur with a circadian and circannual periodicity. The calculated prevalence of CH in reproductive-aged women is 7.5 of 100,000 women. Although data suggest that CH during pregnancy is a relatively rare condition, when it does occur, attacks remain unchanged in character and severity in the majority of patients. Thus, treatment of CH in pregnant and lactating women may remain a significant therapeutic challenge. This manuscript briefly reviews the epidemiology of CH in women, and then focuses on treatment options for both acute and preventative management of CH in pregnant and lactating women.

PMID:20425207[PubMed]
=========
Title:  Treatment of cluster headache in pregnancy and lactation. 
Source:  Calhoun, A H. Current Pain And Headache Reports Volume: 14 Issue: 2 (2010-04-01) p. 164-173. ISSN: 1531-3433 
==============================
Ann Pharmacother. 2008 Apr;42(4):543-9. Epub 2008 Mar 18.
Use of 5-HT1 agonists in pregnancy.

Evans EW, Lorber KC.

Department of Clinical and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA, USA. eevans@ulm.edu

OBJECTIVE: To report and evaluate available data on the use of serotonin 5-HT(1) agonists (triptans) during pregnancy. DATA SOURCES: A PubMed search, limited to English-language articles on human subjects, was conducted (1990-December 2007) using the search terms pregnancy, migraine, and the individual triptan drug names. In addition, the manufacturers of all 7 available triptans were contacted regarding the existence of a pregnancy registry for their drug(s) and the availability of registry reports. STUDY SELECTION AND DATA EXTRACTION: All retrospective and prospective studies reporting on pregnancy outcomes after the use of a triptan were included and critically evaluated. Data from all available manufacturer-sponsored pregnancy registries were also included. DATA SYNTHESIS: Safe and effective treatment of migraine during pregnancy is imperative. DATA INVOLVING SUMATRIPTAN AND, TO A LESSER EXTENT, NARATRIPTAN AND RIZATRIPTAN, EXIST PRIMARILY REGARDING EXPOSURE IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER. THESE DATA SHOW NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN CONGENITAL MALFORMATIONS OR POOR PREGNANCY OUTCOMES WHEN COMPARED WITH EXPECTED RATES IN THE GENERAL POPULATION OR WITH THE OBSERVED RATES IN CONTROL SUBJECTS. THERE IS VERY LITTLE INFORMATION REGARDING EXPOSURE IN MIDDLE AND LATE PREGNANCY. CONCLUSIONS: SUMATRIPTAN APPEARS TO BE A SAFE TREATMENT ALTERNATIVE FOR PREGNANT WOMEN WHO EXPERIENCE NEW-ONSET OR WORSENED MIGRAINES IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER. FURTHER OBSERVATION IS NEEDED PRIOR TO RECOMMENDING ITS USE IN LATER TRIMESTERS. BASED UPON AVAILABLE DATA, THE OTHER AGENTS IN THIS CLASS CANNOT BE RECOMMENDED FOR USE DURING PREGNANCY AT THIS TIME.

PMID: 18349309 [PubMed]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ther Drug Monit. 2008 Feb;30(1):5-9.
Triptans in pregnancy.

Soldin OP, Dahlin J, O'Mara DM.

Department of Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, USA. os35@georgetown.edu

The triptans are a class of tryptamine-based drugs indicated for in the treatment of migraine headaches. The triptans act as serotonin (5-hydroxytriptamine) (5-HT) agonists by binding to various serotonin receptors, causing vasoconstriction and neuronal inhibition to alleviate migraines. There are 7 types of triptans currently available on the U.S. market: almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan and zolmitriptan. The objective of this study was to examine the use and effects of triptans in pregnancy. ALTHOUGH THREE OF THE TRIPTANS HAVE PREGNANCY REGISTRIES MAINTAINED BY THE MANUFACTURER, TRIPTAN USE IN PREGNANCY HAS NOT BEEN EXTENSIVELY STUDIED. INFORMATION ON THE USE OF SUMATRIPTAN DURING PREGNANCY IS RELATIVELY MORE ABUNDANT, BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN ON THE MARKET LONGER THAN THE OTHER TRIPTANS AND MAY ALSO HAVE A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF THE MARKET SHARE. THERE ARE NO DATA TO SUGGEST TERATOGENICITY FOR ANY OF THE TRIPTANS, ALTHOUGH PRETERM BIRTH RATES APPEAR TO BE ELEVATED.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 18223456
===================

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (131 KB | 2 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

O2 Mommy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Harrisonburg, VA
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 9:32pm

Hello!
I am a mother of two now and I have had cluster headaches for 8 years now. My cycle usually begins in August although I have had a cycle in December before. With my daughter I did not cycle through my pregnancy and then not until 15 months later when I weened her from nursing. I'm not sure when I quit taking the pill for sure, but I know it has been between 8 and 10 years. I didnt even think about it until my midwife mentioned it when I went in for my 6 week checkup and told her that I had started a cycle. She was actually the first doc I had met that I could tell right away that she knew something about cluster headaches. My son was born on July 23 this year and I have been in a cycle ever since. I can't go back on the pill while nursing, but I am having my hormones and thyroid checked tomorrow to see if something is off and there is something natural that I can do to help. I have never had a cycle this long and with a 3 month old it has not been easy. Luckily the oxygen still works and the pain is weaker on the kip then it has ever been!!
I wish you the best of luck in getting pregnant and being pain free!! Hopefully pregnancy will do the same for you as it did for me so keep on trying!! Get your vitamin D checked and look for Batch's vitamin D regimen in the search box! The vitamin D can help you get pregnant! Smiley
If I learn anything new with the hormones or have luck I will be happy to share with you! Best wishes!!

Kim
O2 Mommy

IP Logged

Chen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Israel
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 1:15pm

thanks for sharing, hope for you that you will find something that helps. or an answer that could give us and idea about the pill/ hormones.
btw, i did check my vitamin D and i have a very low level.... going to the Doc this Thursday so she will tell me how much to take.I'm also trying to change my diet... something will do the trick, i know it!!
Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!