Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Octreotide (Read 1825 times)
iammelissa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Octreotide
Nov 5th, 2012 at 4:15pm

Has anyone here tried octreotide?  Any chronic cluster headache sufferers?

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm by iammelissa »  

“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation”
― Terence McKenna

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Octreotide
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:41pm

I'm posting this abstract even though this med has not received much attention in the medical literature. However, the few articles I've seen the evaluations have been approving. It appears that Octreotide is worth keeping in mind as a secondary level abortive if the usual standard items have not been effective.
==============================

Ann Neurol. 2004 Oct;56(4):488-94.

Subcutaneous Octreotide In Cluster Headache: Randomized Placebo-Controlled Double-Blind Crossover Study.
Matharu Ms, Levy Mj, Meeran K, Goadsby Pj.
Sourceheadache Group, Institute Of Neurology, Queen Square, London, United Kingdom.
Ann Neurol. 2004 Nov;56(5):751.

Abstract
Current Practical Evidence-Based Acute Treatments Of Cluster Headache Are Limited To Subcutaneous And Intranasal Formulations Of Sumatriptan, And Oxygen. Two Small Randomized, Double-Blind Trials Suggested Efficacy Of Somatostatin In Cluster Headache. We Sought To Determine Whether Octreotide, A Somatostatin Analog, Is Effective In The Abortive Treatment Of Acute Cluster Headache. Patients With Episodic And Chronic Cluster Headache, As Defined By The International Headache Society, Were Recruited To A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Patients Were Instructed To Treat Two Attacks Of At Least Moderate Pain Severity, With At Least A 24-Hour Break, Using Subcutaneous Octreotide Microg Or Matching Placebo. The Primary End Point Was The Headache Response Defined As Very Severe, Severe, Or Moderate Pain Becomes Mild Or Nil, At 30 Minutes. The Primary End Point Was Examined Using A Multilevel Analysis Approach. A Total Of 57 Patients Were Recruited Of Whom 46 Provided Efficacy Data On Attacks Treated With Octreotide And 45 With Placebo. The Headache Response Rate With Subcutaneous Octreotide Was 52%, Whereas That With Placebo Was 36%. Modeling The Treatment Outcome As A Binomial Where Response Was Determined By Treatment, Using The Patient As The Level 2 Variable, And Considering Period Effect, Sex, And Cluster Headache Type As Other Variables Of Interest, We Found That The Effect Of Subcutaneous Octreotide 100 Microg Was Significantly Superior To Placebo (P < 0.01). SUBCUTANEOUS OCTREOTIDE 100 MICROG IS EFFECTIVE IN THE ACUTE TREATMENT OF CLUSTER HEADACHE WHEN COMPARED WITH PLACEBO.

Pmid:15455406[Pubmed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

iammelissa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 8:35pm

This drug in my opinion needs to be on the Front line for any CHRONIC CLUSTER headache sufferer, three years straight for me, and finally some relief.  I lost three years of my life,
My son is 6, if I didn't have him and the help of my husband, I would have stopped looking for other options before now, lets just put it that way. I'm on my second week three injections a day 50ml think I'm putting that in right. any one else out there, with chronic or have any experience with this octreotide or have questions, or comments, still researching long term side effects. Wink

“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation”
― Terence McKenna

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 8:16am

Quite a few of us, including myself, are chronics. I have been chronic since 1987. To be honest, never heard of octeotride. Certainly am interested in its effectiveness and whatever side effects you may discover. It's really sort of rare for a new treatment to come along, but come along they do! Thanks for the post and keep us up to date. God bless. lance

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:52am

Yes, please keep us posted on how it goes. I'm currently chronic and have an upcoming neuro appointment so I'm all ears.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!