Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I hope this doesn't jinx me, But Pred./Verap. wrkd (Read 653 times)
Eric in Central NY
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I hope this doesn't jinx me, But Pred./Verap. wrkd
Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:56pm

I had the headaches come back for the first time in 10 plus years.  I dealt with them with the usual oxygen.  I also used the new caffine taurine successfully.  The cycle was really bad though with one spree of headaches every two to three hours over a 42 hour period. 

After three weeks of hell, I couldn't take it anymore.  Prednisone had worked for me once in the past so I got an appointment with the Nurse Practicioner in the neurology department for the next morning. (It would have been a month to see the actual neurologist)  I had already obtained a script for Verapamil 240mg ER for the next cycle that started through my regular doctor, so I talked the N.P. into a pred taper of 60mg for 4 days, 40 for 4, 20 for 4 while starting the verap.  He must suck at math because he prescribed 10 too many 20 mg pills.  So, I did a 70 for 4, 50 for 4, 30 for 4, 10 for 4 taper while starting on the 240mg verap daily and it took effect immediately.  I had two very weak Kip 2-3 headaches within the first three days, but haven't had a cluster in three weeks now.  I've been off of the pred for about a week now.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS POST JINX ME, but I figured I'd post it up for an FYI

IP Logged

brian trudeau
CH.com Junior

his arms are around me
and his tounge in my
eye

Kinde, MI USA
Re: I hope this doesn't jinx me, But Pred./Verap. wrkd
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 11:47pm

Good to hear that you have been pf for three weeks. My second round of a prednisone ended wend. And boy that beast  has been letting me know that he does not like to be fucked with for the last two days. At least got a break from the daytime hits and lessened the pain of the nightime hits while i was on the steroid but sure doc is not going to go a third dose. Hoping you and others stay PF and the rest of us get some PFDN too

...but then you make me crawl..and I cant be holding on to what you got...when all you got is hurt...
briantrud briantrud briantrud  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!