Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cluster cycle length? (Read 3443 times)
moneymaker
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

cluster cycle length?
Oct 26th, 2012 at 6:25pm

Hello new to the site but not clusters,Live in Missouri,No health insurance,,,Well i have been cluster free for 2 1/2 years and sept 24th the beast decided to visit me,went from small sinus like headaches the 1st week to 9 and 10 scale headaches from october 13th thru 31 st with 4 a day,then calm down  a bit then had a 5 hour monster the 23 rd and now its all in the ear/jaw area every 4-5 hours Hope they are on there way out soon as i cant recall how they ended up stopping last time,Dr put me on Imitrex(sumitriptan)pills which i take the max dose of 200mg a day to get rid of the pain and verapimil,So do you think i have much longer with this cluster cycle?

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: cluster cycle length?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 7:57pm

My cycles were about 7-9 weeks. they would always ramp up like yours are now. Go easy on the trex... It does tend to make the beast laugh a bit longer. Try 02 or the vitamen d3 with some magnesum as well.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

helplesswife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:12pm

It's interesting how you say small sinus like headaches the first week.  The week before my husband started this cycle, he had a dull headache pain most of the week that never seemed to go away.  He thought maybe his clusters were starting up, but he also thought maybe it was the cold he was fighting or just the change of seasons.  Well, it turned out to be clusters because after that week, they turned into the familiar ones he had during his last cycle, so could that be the precursor all the time?  Not sure.  As I type this, he is in bed fighting a doozy that started 3 hours ago and the 'alternative' treatment he is trying tonight to treat this doesn't seem to be yielding any results...and we were so hopeful.  My screen name says it all...

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:24pm by helplesswife »  

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:49pm

moneymaker - cycle length changes. Every CH'er and every cycle can be different. Mine are 5-6 week long, but there have been times when I was chronic or had 10-20 day cycles.

Imitrex peels are not a very good solution (of course, unless YOU find them helpful). Verapamil is a good preventive and will most probably kick in soon and make things a little better. Meanwhile, you can get a 10-15 day relief with Prednisone taper, which may be enough. That's a very traditional treatment, a bit nasty but usually pretty effective. Anyhow, I really think you should try the supplement regimen, which seem to be very effective AND is probably healthier.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

brian trudeau
CH.com Junior

his arms are around me
and his tounge in my
eye

Kinde, MI USA
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 1:40am

There was a time where i would say a cycle would last 4-6 weeks but to be honest there were times that lasted 8-12 weeks. The beast will morph with each cycle and treatment thrown at it. Know that they will pass is what you hold onto. On a side note: Odd that the "busting" method also comes on like some peoples cycle with hits starting off at lower levels working their way to the peak of the worst hits of their cycle then a gradual decline in their intensity.

...but then you make me crawl..and I cant be holding on to what you got...when all you got is hurt...
briantrud briantrud briantrud  
IP Logged

moneymaker
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 4:40am

i was also on predinsone for 15 days as i forgot to mention that but my Doctor refuses to right the prescription for O2 so i am left having to take 50mg of Sumitriptan when the headaches are bad,right now i am taking 3mg melatonin at night and D3 in the morning with my regular BP med plus 160 mg Verapamil daily,Just curious as mine really ramped up then now they have tapered off to more of the ear/jaw pain with a small amount of temple and eye pain but if i dont take the Sumitriptan pill it will turn into a good one,Just hope this cycle is over soon as i feel for all that have these things.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 6:34am

Change your doctor. O2 is the first line treatment, effective for 70% of sufferers.

As for melatonin - if you have nocturnal hits than it might get the best results in eliminating them and have at list some effect during the day. But 3mg usually isn't enough.

In my last cycle, I used 3-5mg of regular melatonin + 2mg of prolonged release melatonin, which did a good job. Some guys here had success with 10-15mg. Except for making birth control peels less effective, these high doses are considered pretty safe. Still a good idea to consult a doctor, but maybe not the one you're seeing now.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Red Dog
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 1:45pm

My cycles are typically 10 weeks long although the last one was about 16 weeks. I blame the imitrex since I used it more that cycle than in previous ones. I can't imagine not having oxygen. If possible switch Dr's, the pills work too slow for them to be of much relief either. The injections work in less than 10 min and can be split in half.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:38am

I also get false hopes as the headaches will occasionally recede for a week, then come roaring back for a couple more. This typically happens when I take prednisone, but I guess a week is better than nothing Cool

IP Logged

O2 Mommy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Harrisonburg, VA
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 3:00pm

I have to agree with the rest on the O2. Get a new doctor!!! He really isn't concerned with your health if he doesn't want you to try it!! The literature is out there and it has no side effects as compared to the nasty drugs. Maybe he isn't making enough money when he writes the O2 script!?! Regardless it is your body and you have the right to try the best options for you!

IP Logged

moneymaker
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 4:45am

well i am not taking the sumatriptan now but use alot of 02 go thru 3 e tanks a week as i am still having shadows all day and night and tearing of the eye constantly,,this has been a long road since sept 24th,,,get some ear pain at times and some neck pain as well,pray that the 10s dont come back but i sure wish i could get on with somewhat of a life seeing the holidays are closing in,But i presume this is not gonna take place.
Also cant get a job or health care in this condition as nobody will hire someone who has to have extra breaks and have 02 on site to try to function thru there daily lives.Gonna try to have the attorney appeal my disabilty claim but he said it will take 16 months to get a hearing and odds are i still wont get approved,Told him within 16 months it probably wont matter anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!