Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do the cycles just keep going till the end of life (Read 7094 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Do the cycles just keep going till the end of life
Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:12pm

helplesswife wrote on Nov 5th, 2012 at 4:14pm:
Now I understand how it works a little better.

Smiley    
Do the tanks again, he may go out of cycle before maxing insurance, and with right mask and flow, could kick butt.

Quote:
They've been relentless at night.

Uncompletely aborted, they can be.  Don't use the mask strap with tanks.  Work with a preventative a little more when you can, they are time consuming to get right.

Don't sleep on the cluster side.    Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2012 at 7:25pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

helplesswife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 9:23pm

Thanks, we'll definitely keep this advice in mind!  The patience is appreciated.  We are much newer to this than many of you and have to go through our own process of finding info and asking questions.  I'm the information gatherer in the family.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 11:08pm

Do the cycles just keep going till the end of life?

Helplesswife, you've received many educated answers from experienced wise senior citizen CH'ers.  Hopefully you recognize that CH's do not discriminate upon age and mistreat each of us differently.  However, we fight this together! Wink

I personally am 44 and the only reason I continue to not throw in the towel is my 12 yr old son that I am a single parent to.  Being that he is 12, I have at least 6 yrs of responsibility to my son who needs me until he graduates high school and becomes a legal adult.  After he turns 18 though, i've given thought many times and concluded that I will not be a senior citizen tortured by the beast.  Hopefully because the beast leaves, but am unfortunately prepared otherwise.

Brew wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:53pm:
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I apologize.

But everywhere in the literature it says 100% O2 at a minimum of 15 lpm. 25+ lpm - a rate that supports hyperventilation - is what is called for.

• Give the concentrator back.
  • Go to a welding supply house and get a big ol' tank of pure O2.
  • Go to Harbor Freight and get a welding regulator.
  • Get yourself (or in this case, your husband) an O2ptimask.
  • Hook it all up.
  • Tell him to crank it up at the first sign of an attack.
  • Breathe deeply and rapidly until the attack abates.

O2 does NOT work as a preventative - only as an abortive.

What Brew outlined above is EXACTLY what must be followed for effective o2 therapy.  If you choose to try o2 ANY other way, it is a waste of effort and invitation for unnecessary horror!

Your husband is VERY fortunate to have you as his supporter and wife!  Let us know how we can be of further assistance to you both.  Good luck! Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

helplesswife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #28 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 5:53pm

Thanks for your reply, Las Vegas.  I hope that you reconsider on your decision if/when this time comes.  Kids always need their parents, even as adults.  It would hit him as hard later on as it would now.  This is the scariest thing for me as a supporter/wife, although he's reassured me he would never do that to us (and I truly believe him), I know how bad the pain gets and your mind works differently in moments of extreme weakness/pain.  I just felt like I had to reply to that.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #29 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 12:58pm

Thank you for your kind words helplesswife,
However this thread is about your husband, not me.  I am just fine and more educated than most neurologists on this subject, so really have no concerns.  You and your husband however are in extreme dire need as he is not receiving effective treatment for the worst known pain a human can endure.

I urge you to follow the EXACT outline of what Brew had written above regarding effective oxygen therapy or you may be without a husband, partially or completely, because you truly do not know what the pain is like and as you stated "your mind works differently in moments of extreme weakness/pain." Not trying to belittle you, nor scare you as much as I am trying to educate you of what your husband is using now is a prescription for horrific pain opposed to Brew's outline is a prescription for the least expensive, most effective, fast abortive method available for CH's, with no ill side effects.

As mentioned above, o2 therapy is NOT around the clock.  Your husband has Cluster Headaches (CH's) not breathing problems with lack of o2, right?  At least that's what I understand from your postings.  Based on that, get rid of the mask that has a suicide strap on it, as noted above this mask will suffocate him when the o2 runs empty.  O2 therapy is to be used as needed, not around the clock, not when sleeping!  Please do your husband one of the biggest favors you can and click on the yellow tab-left side of screen-CH.com store...and order an O2ptimask! Unless you are investing quite a few bucks into a custom demand valve, this is the best mask on the market, for only $27.50 and can be shipped within 2 days.  It is a NRB (non-rebreather mask) with a 3 liter reservoir bag for hyperventilation, withOUT the suicide strap and it works wonderfully for everybody who has used it!

Get a high flow regulator of at least 15 lpm to breathe consistently fast, preferably 25 lpm to hyperventilate.  If you can not get a high flow regulator from a medical source, get a welder regulator from a welder supply store which will provide fast enough flow rates. 

And for Gods sake...get a large 02 tank, absolutely NOT a concentrator.  If tanks are not available medically, get it from a welder supply store. 

You do not have to be a helpless wife, you can be a helpful wife!  You've chosen to be here for advice, this is the best o2 advice you can be provided.  Please go help your husband stay alive and with as minimal inconvenience to him as possible by following proven effective o2 outline.

Once you are successful achieving proper o2 therapy for your husband, please change your screen name on this board to...helpful wife Wink

We are here to help you be supportive of your husband and unlike anybody else, we truly understand his pain!

Gregg in Las Vegas

PS...Considering this neurovascular disease of your husband MAY be afflicting him for the rest of his life....this is only the beginning.  Welcome to Clusterville Wink

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #30 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 10:29pm

Absolutely agree that the right oxygen set up just might change his life!!  It certainly changed mine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!