Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
On a break from hell (Read 1183 times)
Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

On a break from hell
Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:38pm

It seems that I am lucky and the devil has decided to give me a break. A much needed one since he has been my best buddy for a straight year and a half.
Thank you batch for your vitamin regimen! It seems that since I started it my life has changed. I have had 1 small episode a month which is quickly taken away with a nasal spray!
I was wondering if any of you who are lucky to have breaks keep taking your medications such as topamax and verapamil?
I really don't want to stay on them if I dont have too.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: On a break from hell
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 6:43pm

I'm peisodic so I go off everything.....except of course the Batch Regimen....when I'm off cycle. Great to hear you're catching a break....hoping it's a long one.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:01pm

Quote:
I was wondering if any of you who are lucky to have breaks keep taking your medications such as topamax and verapamil?
I really don't want to stay on them if I dont have too.

Congrats on doing some great PF time.   Smiley

I wouldn't like staying on them if I didn't have to either. 

Stepping down very gradually will let you know if they are needed or not, because maybe they are still preventing very well. 

You could call and check with your doc about it and see what he suggests as a good decreasing rate. 

It's safer doing it gradually and if you are wrong in supposing the episode is over, it is only a small step up again.  It may be a lower dosage of each will suffice now, or even none at all. 

I test the water on lowering preventatives when it seems quiet.  Sometimes I'm right, a few times I'm wrong, but I try to get off them when I can.

If you decrease gradually to no medication and no hits, then SUCCESS!!

A usual safe range for increasiing or decreasing verapamil is 120mg/wk.  If you've different increments, 80mg every four days is smooth, too.  I'm not familiar with Topomax adjustments.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:12pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 10:31am

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 6:43pm:
I'm
peisodic
so I go off everything.....except of course the Batch Regimen....when I'm off cycle. Great to hear you're catching a break....hoping it's a long one. Joe

Nice variant spelling, Joe! Try Googling it...there's all kinds of cool examples. But that aside, I agree with Joe's sentiment, I'm glad you're catching a break, too! blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 11:02am

Wut ken i sae,,,,hukt awn foniks kleerlee faled me..... Tongue

Grin Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 1:03pm

Congrats Bonnie Lee   Smiley

I am episodic and personally choose to wean off Verapamil and all meds when i'm not in cycle.  You might consider speaking with your prescribing doctor for advice of gradual reduction to avoid possible unwanted side effects of stopping abruptly.

The vitamin regimen did not work for me at all, however I believe there are many benefits to taking multi-vitamins for daily health, so you may want to consider continuing the vitamins.

Time to finally enjoy yourself  Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!