Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New from Montreal, Canada (Read 1028 times)
Patrick-Ottawa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa
New from Montreal, Canada
Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:11am

Hi there,

been browsing the site for a few days now, following a new episode of headaches, first in 2.5 years if I can remember well.

If I recall, my first encounter with those was in my early 20s (am now 42) and initially I thought they were just really bad headaches.  Eventually got some Imitrex which seem to work to some extent.  My episodes have usually been fairly distanced (2-3 years apart) and last a couple of weeks from what I remember.  I think most of the episodes were in the period between October and January time of the year. 

Most recent episode started about 10 days ago, I seem to have one CH every other day with some 'warnings' in between but not the full fledged thing.  Just got a new prescription of Zomig and tried that last night.  Went away after 30 minutes.

Am trying to get an appointment with a neuro here in Montreal to have a better diagnostic something more effective than the Zomig.

Fortunately, from what I can read my CHs are not as bad as a lot of you on this forum, but they do ruin my nights and the following mornings... 

Thanks for reading
Looking to hear from anyone here in Montreal or around

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Re: New from Montreal, Canada
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:18pm

Welcome to the board Patrick. Sorry you have to be here.
I would suggest oxygen if you don't have it, follow the oxygen info link to the left. For most of us this is the best abortive out there, 5-10 minutes and it is gone, no side effects.
As for the zomig, pills are usually too little too late for us, the Imitrex injections work well. The triptan nasil sprays also work, just not as fast.
Melatonin for the night hits, 9-12mg usually helps.
You will want to look for a preventative medication also, verapamil, lithium, topomax are common ones.
Read all you can here and ask lots of questions, knowledge is power against the beast.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:21pm by ttnolan »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:18pm

The PDF file, below, is useful as a tool to discuss options with your doc and it gives the most recent evaluations of effectiveness.

Print the whole thing; study it before the visit so that you can ask some specific questions.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 6:46pm

Welcome to the board, ditto the advice from above, second the motion to check out the oxygen link. I go from onset of attack to pain free in about 6-8 minutes. It must be used correctly or it's worthless so take a second and check out the link.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 10:12pm

Welcome to CH.com Patrick,

The number one abortive for CH is Imitrex injections, the inhaler is next number two is pure Oxygen from tanks and specific equipment. CH is a very rare condition, so most Doctors know very little about proper treatments. This requires we learn what the proper treatments are, ourselves.

Most of us end up teaching our Doctor's. CH demands our attention so you must teach yourself to be sure you're getting proper treatment. The best treatments are not common medical knowledge, and many of us have taken some if not all of our treatment into our own hands.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Patrick-Ottawa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:37am

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Ended up at the hospital yesterday as I just could not handle the crisis that started around 7pm.  First time it is so bad for me.  Bad news is I had to suffer through it and by the time I saw a doctor the worst was over.  Good news is I should get some follow up by a neurologist along with a CT scan soon.

Doctor I saw says that I should see the neuro before getting  prescription for Imitrex injections or some O2 at home.  In the meantime, I have the Zomig nasal

Have a good day all

IP Logged

Patrick-Ottawa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:00am

Coincidence or not ?

I started the Vitamin D (3000-4000 / day) + Cal/Mag on October 18th.  Worst attack was that same day at night and I ended up at the emergency.  Amazingly, since then I only had 1 significant attack which lasted only 30 minutes (took 1 Red Bull and was about to use the Zomig Nasal Spray for the 1st time when the attach stopped).  Since then (5 days now), I have had nothing to report expect some mild headaches and shadows.

Have a 1st appointment with the Neuro on Nov 5th.  Will discuss Vit D and Oxygen with him, curious to see what he thinks

Have a good day

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 1:11am

Even if things are getting a little better, I would still keep that Neuro appt. Sounds like the Vit. D may be helping. Good Luck..

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!